Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-04-2019, 06:10 PM   #16
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Coming from a B&N Nook ST which used to last for several weeks to a few months on a single charge, I was initially appalled at the Oasis 2's battery life. I need to charge it every few days if I'm reading daily for more than an hour. And that's with wifi off, airplane mode on, and the frontlight at around 7 most of the time.

But I've gotten used to it now. Since I'm never far away from a charger, this isn't a huge con and the reading experience is a huge upgrade over the Nook. It also helps that the Oasis 2 charges very quickly. In less than an hour, the battery is fully charged.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:22 PM   #17
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
Coming from a B&N Nook ST which used to last for several weeks to a few months on a single charge, I was initially appalled at the Oasis 2's battery life. I need to charge it every few days if I'm reading daily for more than an hour. And that's with wifi off, airplane mode on, and the frontlight at around 7 most of the time.

But I've gotten used to it now. Since I'm never far away from a charger, this isn't a huge con and the reading experience is a huge upgrade over the Nook. It also helps that the Oasis 2 charges very quickly. In less than an hour, the battery is fully charged.
I threw down the red flag and gave up. I just put it on the charger when I get home from work and move on lol. I hope the next device will be better
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2019, 08:32 PM   #18
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
I don't know what bothers people about the Oasis 2 battery.

I do all of my reading in bed at night, and when I am ready to stop, I plug my Oasis in. It is always fully charged when I start to read next evening. On weekends, I also read during the day, and the battery still lasts the distance.

I have no idea how long the battery lasts, because I have never had it go flat!
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:15 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
I can only surmise that they don't read the battery life specification before buying the device. There would be cause for complaint if the battery life didn't meet the specification, but mine easily exceeds it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:18 PM   #20
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I can only surmise that they don't read the battery life specification before buying the device. There would be cause for complaint if the battery life didn't meet the specification, but mine easily exceeds it.
The problem is the Oasis battery life differs from what Amazon advertises. Amazon claims the battery life on all their Kindles is the same; a single charge is supposed to last for weeks despite the fact that their devices have different size batteries. There's no way the Oasis with its 1000 mAh battery lasts as long as a Paperwhite which has a larger 1500 mAh battery.

Again not a deal breaker for me because I otherwise like the Oasis but people should be aware they're not getting the promised battery life.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2019, 12:43 AM   #21
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post

I do all of my reading in bed at night, and when I am ready to stop, I plug my Oasis in. It is always fully charged when I start to read next evening. On weekends, I also read during the day, and the battery still lasts the distance.

I have no idea how long the battery lasts, because I have never had it go flat!
Amazon advertises a battery that lasts weeks/months if reading 30 minutes a day at a light level of 10 I believe and people are not getting that and we feel ripped off for it is expensive.

If I do not read on it, keep it completely shut off ( no screen saver) including wifi off my unit will be completely dead in 3 days. And it is not stuck indexing. If I keep it with inverted black and white it lasts a bit longer

Last edited by HLS; 02-08-2019 at 12:54 AM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:27 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The problem is the Oasis battery life differs from what Amazon advertises.
But it doesn't - at least mine doesn't. I easily get the 21h of reading time that Amazon advertise with WiFi off and a moderate light level. In the last 24h, for example, I've read for approximately 7h, and my battery has gone down to 81%. That's way, way over 21h total reading time on a battery charge.

Last edited by HarryT; 02-08-2019 at 06:26 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:09 AM   #23
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
But it doesn't - at least mine doesn't. I easily get the 21h of reading time that Amazon advertise with WiFi off and a moderate light level. In the last 24h, for example, I've read for approximately 7h, and my battery has gone down to 81%. That's way, way over 21h total reading time on a battery charge.
I agree with Harry...my Oasis behaves exactly the same, and I keep wifi on all the time. I'm sorry that your Oasis behaves differently, but it truly is NOT how all of them behave.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:29 AM   #24
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
That is true for those who read at the Amazon recommended 10 or under light level. Anything above that will be draining the battery faster. There is a reason why they recommend 10 or under light level. It fits what they are advertising but many readers are going above 10. The reviews support that too. I think the average Oasis 2 user above light level 10 is anywhere from 1-5 days depending on how long they read and how much higher the light level is. It does vary but not a whole lot.

Last edited by Wearever; 02-08-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #25
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
The problem is the Oasis battery life differs from what Amazon advertises. Amazon claims the battery life on all their Kindles is the same; a single charge is supposed to last for weeks despite the fact that their devices have different size batteries. There's no way the Oasis with its 1000 mAh battery lasts as long as a Paperwhite which has a larger 1500 mAh battery.

Again not a deal breaker for me because I otherwise like the Oasis but people should be aware they're not getting the promised battery life.
The promised battery life for the Oasis 2 is reading at light level 10 or less for 30 mins. a day. It's not how everyone reads of course it's just what they found to use the least amount of power so they set that standard as advertised. IF you read above the recommended 10 then the battery will drain faster. It does vary some may get better results and some much worse. I charge mine every 4 days but I don't let it drop to 0. I'll charge around 30% or so. I read between 11 and 15 light level mostly. I still like the Oasis 2 otherwise.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #26
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
The light and WiFi are the biggest battery drains with any eInk device. I find that keeping my Oasis in aeroplane mode roughly doubles battery life.

I get a battery life which easily matches what Amazon quote.
I think this is (as usual with your posts ) spot on. I'm far from a Kindle expert--have not owned one for years since one of the earliest models and don't use it anymore. But I was looking at one of these in Best Buy last evening, right in the promotional screens they say the battery life will meet their expected 20-21 hours of usage IF wifi and bluetooth are off and the light set at 10. So, they are already setting fairly realistic expectations for battery usage.

If someone is getting significantly worse than that under those operating conditions, I'd contact Amazon or return it.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #27
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
I just upgraded to the Oasis 2 from the Oasis 1, which I had for around 2 years.
The Oasis 1 developed battery issues after about a year - the battery life was significantly reduced. Ordering a new external battery case resolved this issue completely for my Oasis 1, while my Mom's Oasis 1 had improved battery life, but still reduced.
So far, since I received my Oasis 2 on Wednesday, fully charged it, and have read part of a manga, downloaded several books, and have just outright played with it but haven't really done much text reading with it yet, the battery is at 98%.

So far, so good.
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:51 PM   #28
maximus83
Nameless Being

Well I took the plunge and ordered an Oasis as well, partly based on the feedback in this thread. I want to compare it to the Forma I just got, and decide which one is the most compelling for my use. Not that hard to re-sell or gift the one I end up not using. Previously I had avoided the Oasis due to concerns about the battery I had heard here at MR, plus the fact it's a smaller screen than the Forma. But after handling one in a local store, I realized it's a really compelling reader, and despite the smaller screen, it can compete head-to-head with the Forma in almost every other way other than screen size. It sounds like the battery life for most folks has been good-to-go if you set your expectations based on Amazon's predicted 21 hours of usage.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:39 PM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
But it doesn't - at least mine doesn't. I easily get the 21h of reading time that Amazon advertise with WiFi off and a moderate light level.
Me too. I usually read with the light at level 9.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:45 PM   #30
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I pretty much always get what is advertised, if I were to go through all that pesky math. But I have had kindles since 2008 and I read a lot. Besides the K1 model, all my kindles, when I use them to read, need to be charged at 2-5 days. Never have I had a kindle last longer than 5 at most. If I use that kindle to read that is. I don't obsess about the time when they sit in a drawer. I plug them all in once a month, or when I remember. Can't really read on more than one at a time.

I had a few weekend binges when I was ill and all I could do was read to get my mind off pain and 2 days was max then. . That was like reading all day long basically.

I use light at 8 always, don't use auto light. I have wifi mostly off, but sometimes its on and I just don't care.

I see a plug sticking out of a wall somewhere, I'll stick it on while mopping the floors, or cleaning the bathroom, or making breakfast, go shopping, etc. Its that fast.

Now the K1 was a special unicorn. I had to read while plugged in with that one all the time. I think the SD card stuff used more battery and it just wasn't as efficient. Searches took 8 minutes. Yep, I timed that back in the day. Cause I had like 2000 books on the SD card.
It still was and is my favorite kindle as it got me reading again.

I guess the short form of all this babbling in my post is I just read. Plug in when I notice it needs it and read some more.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery drain, battery life