Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Looking forward to a Reacher film, but, Goddammit, and I know this has been discussed before, Cruise is not Reacher material!
Agreed, but he'll pull in $20 million or so anyway, they'll wreck the book but have screens full of expensive special effects, the MPAA will whine that TPB et. al. have ruined its profits, and no one with a share of the net will see a penny. (not that they would have anyway, TPB or no).
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #17
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Cruise would be absolutely terrible. As someone stated, Reacher's stature is an integral part of the plot of every single book. Selecting the Little Man of Leading Men would guarantee a disconnect from the books, and irritate hard-core fans. But maybe they don't care.

Also as someone else said, I'll still see it. Bad movies can't ruin my favorite books. Point of Impact is possibly my favorite book, and the Mark Wahlberg movie didn't ruin it for me. John Sandford's Prey series is probably my favorite series, and the dreadful Eriq LaSalle made-for-tv movie couldn't damage that. But they do make me cry just a little bit.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #18
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I still like Liam Neeson best. He is 6' 4" 210 lbs and he is a great actor.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #19
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Reacher's size, bulk and overall density are simply ingrained in all the different plots. The denseness of his pectoral muscles alone stopped a bullet dead in its tracks in one of the books for cripes sake.

Tom Cruise could pull off "sneaky assassin," but any attempt to portray him as a "hulking bruiser of a badass" will be laughable. And rewriting Jack Reacher as anything less than a hulking bruiser of a badass will be unacceptable.
Agreed. I've read three Jack Reacher books so far and each one talks about his size. In one he flattened 6 guys in 6 seconds. I just can't see Cruise doing that.

Right now I'm cheating on Jack with Mitch Rapp. Another good character.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #20
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
Liam would make a good Reacher.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 04:14 AM   #21
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool Hot news.....

I've had a sneak preview of the script's film treatment, and boy, is it ever ingenious and imaginative !

"In a skillful mingling and re-telling of the two iconic stories, boasting new computer generating techniques, 'Alice in Wonderland' merges with the Reacher fable..... John Dodgson mistakenly sips from a magical elixier he finds behind his shaving mirror, which he used but rarely as his light hair didn't show much, which transforms him from a mild-mannered well-known movie star, into his alter-go, the enigmatic Jack Reacher, with a mysterious past that is slowly revealed as the story unfolds. Expect surprises, expect spectacle, expect Tom Cruise as you've never seen him before !!

With attitude!

With anger!

Above all, with respect for Right, Justice, Revenge, and very, very violent retribution for somebody ! "
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #22
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I've had a sneak preview of the script's film treatment, and boy, is it ever ingenious and imaginative !

"In a skillful mingling and re-telling of the two iconic stories, boasting new computer generating techniques, 'Alice in Wonderland' merges with the Reacher fable..... John Dodgson mistakenly sips from a magical elixier he finds behind his shaving mirror, which he used but rarely as his light hair didn't show much, which transforms him from a mild-mannered well-known movie star, into his alter-go, the enigmatic Jack Reacher, with a mysterious past that is slowly revealed as the story unfolds. Expect surprises, expect spectacle, expect Tom Cruise as you've never seen him before !!

With attitude!

With anger!

Above all, with respect for Right, Justice, Revenge, and very, very violent retribution for somebody ! "
So it is going to be a Fantasy Movie.
A dwarf is magically transformed into a giant.
Apache
Old 05-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #23
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Apache
I agree.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #24
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Apache
Agreed, on all counts. He also does "menacing" really well (though for someone raised in Antrim and Belfast during the Troubles that's probably second nature )
Old 05-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #25
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
He's just a tad too old for the part, though?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #26
plib
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Cruise only has 10 years on him, and it didn't stop Sean Connery from being a pretty effective James Bond well into his dotage.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #27
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
This was my thought, also. I am a big Liam Neeson fan, and he is an appropriate size, but, at least to me, he seems too old.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #28
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosvit View Post
This was my thought, also. I am a big Liam Neeson fan, and he is an appropriate size, but, at least to me, he seems too old.
Makeup?
I think they could make him look younger easier than they could make Tom Cruise Taller and Stronger.
Apache
Old 05-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #29
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Makeup?
I think they could make him look younger easier than they could make Tom Cruise Taller and Stronger.
Apache
I agree. That makeup hasn't been invented yet. And I too like Neeson - I just think he's a bit too battered and worldweary. I picture someone more vital and virile, full of supressed energy.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #30
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I also agree Liam is a bit too old. Why not cast somebody new that fits the profile and give him a chance?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote