Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 04:49 AM   #16
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
ms tools:

Did make hope in the beginning - but the reader could not be recognized by the tool. Time's too short I guess "Device is not connected to PC". Tried it of course veeery often...

Concerning "acupuncture": have to find more information. But that should be the last option to open the reader and messing around on the motherboard.

A.
Could you go back to the shop where you bought it and request replacement/repair/whatever on 1 year warranty?

P.S. Sorry if somebody has already asked this question and I missed it.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:58 AM   #17
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
No, I bought it over the internet. The retailer forces me to connect with Sony. Which I did. Sony forces me (per mail) to connect with a local "service center" which I did. Waiting for answer.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 05:23 AM   #18
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
No, I bought it over the internet. The retailer forces me to connect with Sony. Which I did. Sony forces me (per mail) to connect with a local "service center" which I did. Waiting for answer.

A.
Where are you from (if you don't mind me asking)?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #19
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Update:

Problem solved!
By Sony... got the reader back from repair-service yesterday:
Old (my) reader - new firmware - no extra charge.

If you want to improve your Sony reader (for example to use custom fonts) my advices:

1) If you have an PRS 650: there should always be a way back (card slot). Play and hack around with the unit...
2) If you have an PRS 350: there is reasonable amount of risk bricking the unit if you make some minor mistakes! And that could be a one way...

But that depends on what you are playing around with:

- Using CSS-files for customable fonts included in EPUB-Files is no risk of course
- Using PRS+ should be without any risk. There's always a way back even if the reader sticks in a boot loop. No problem!
- Using Borodas flash hacks could be a risk if you flash the wrong image (but that's unconfirmed)
- Using your own hacked firmware (like I did) can brick your reader unrecoverable. But: no risk - no fun ;-)

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #20
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Hey,

glad you got it repaired without "acupuncture"!
But have a look on the mount --bind thing.
According kartu up to 3 mount--bind actions can be used with a x50 reader.
This is the way PRS+ "installes" its modified firmware-files (including patched ADE-viewer to enable userStyle.CSS)
Possible with all 3 custom firmwares, but each uses a slightly different method of calling the necessary shell-script.

Enjoy your reader, and please share your findings about changings fonts for the PDF-Viewer.

Regards
Mark
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
flashing, problem, prs-350, unbricking