Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2020, 01:40 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Is It Possible To Change The PW3 Battery?

I bought a used PW3 from ebay less than a month ago. At first it seemed fine, but I'm now realising that the battery is running down very quickly. Even when not in use it will use about 10% battery power in approximately 6 hours.

It isn't indexing. I've checked. I only load about five books at any time and keep the usb plugged in to allow for indexing and to charge the reader.

I wonder if the previous owner sold the PW3 because the battery was bad? There isn't a scratch on the screen and it works perfectly otherwise.

So I've been wondering if there's a way to change the battery. This used to be possible on the old Sonys, such as the prs 505. Is it possible with the PaperWhites?

Thanks in advance.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I bought a used PW3 from ebay less than a month ago. At first it seemed fine, but I'm now realising that the battery is running down very quickly. Even when not in use it will use about 10% battery power in approximately 6 hours.

It isn't indexing. I've checked. I only load about five books at any time and keep the usb plugged in to allow for indexing and to charge the reader.

I wonder if the previous owner sold the PW3 because the battery was bad? There isn't a scratch on the screen and it works perfectly otherwise.

So I've been wondering if there's a way to change the battery. This used to be possible on the old Sonys, such as the prs 505. Is it possible with the PaperWhites?

Thanks in advance.
Yes you can replace the battery. I don't know where to get one in the UK. Here is one from NewPower99. I don't know if they'll ship to the UK. But they do have a video showing how to change a PW3 battery.

https://www.newpower99.com/Amazon_Ki...te-3rd-gen.htm
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:20 PM   #3
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I changed the battery on my Paperwhite 2. Newpower99 has a good video about it but be aware that it's more difficult than it looks. I foolishly bought a cheaper battery from Ebay so my new battery wasn't a lot better than the old one. I'm an old guy and I'm not sure I'd want to go through changing one again. When I was younger with steadier hands I probably wouldn't have minded.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:30 AM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Thank you. They do seem to have a European branch, but it doesn't have a website and I couldn't find this particular battery sold by them (or anyone) on Amazon UK.

Would buying from them on ebay, if the battery is there, be wise?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:06 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Thank you. They do seem to have a European branch, but it doesn't have a website and I couldn't find this particular battery sold by them (or anyone) on Amazon UK.

Would buying from them on ebay, if the battery is there, be wise?
I don't see why not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery drain, used pw3