Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #31
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I will have to try that out, because I am not quite sure that is true. I have embeded standard Windows fonts and they do work on my reader. I am not quite sure if I embeded the whole font, or a subset of the font. It might be that creating the subset did the trick.
On the other hand, if I copy a font from my Windows machine to my Linux machine, the font remains working. Even the standard fonts.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #32
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
the Baen example, IMHO, neatly ducks this - in effect it says this book would look nicer in font X, so we've specified it as 1st choice in the CSS, but hey - getting the font licenced onto your device, dear reader, is your problem, not ours
Baen did not use to call any font in the styles section. And NO, i don't think Baen 'hinted' because the purchaser would have to look at the stylesheet it even get a hint . IMHO No basic (serif,sans) fallback is really inexcusable.

In one case, a font style was called, but it appears that it was never used because the inside titlepage(?) (Sorry Hitch , I don't know the official names of all those different pages inside) was replaced by an image of the print page (the font on that WAS that listed)
Add to the quality issue, of characters used that render a blank on a ADE (mobile) reader, an extremely common platform , or as a slug in Sigil/Calibre
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #33
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Some fonts allow distribution by obfuscating the font. This is supported in Adobe Reader in its various forms. Again you have to check the license.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #34
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMiko View Post
It looks like my problem can't even be duplicated ...
Yes that's true. Are you talking about this font (see attachment) ?

Did you consider a file-corruption? (not obfuscation, just a thing that sometimes happens when something crashes)
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Unbenannt.bmp (44.0 KB, 217 views)
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Charis SIL is allowed to be used for free. That's why it's the #1 font used for embedding. It's very clean and has just about any character set you would probably need.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Some fonts allow distribution by obfuscating the font. This is supported in Adobe Reader in its various forms. Again you have to check the license.

I've never been able to get an obfuscated font to work in an ePUB. This may be lack of skill on my part, but I think the obfuscation versus the distribution/inclusion in the ePUB makes it problematic at best. I mean, I must see 20 posts a week from INDesigners who can't figure out why their books don't work because they're using obfuscated fonts.

DaleDe, are you using obfuscated fonts in your ePUBs or MOBI's?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #37
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Unhappy

Quote:
does obfuscating the font = encrypting it ?

google for once was not that helpful - so is there a difference between encryption and obfuscation ?

I've read the dictionary definitons, but...

when DRM is applied to a book - thats encryption, not obfuscation ?
but to protect fonts they are obusacted, not encrypted ??

the whole topic seems obfuscated to me
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #38
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Charis SIL... has just about any character set you would probably need.
No, it fails on coptic ...
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #39
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
does obfuscating the font = encrypting it ?

google for once was not that helpful - so is there a difference between encryption and obfuscation ?

I've read the dictionary definitons, but...

when DRM is applied to a book - thats encryption, not obfuscation ?
but to protect fonts they are obusacted, not encrypted ??

the whole topic seems obfuscated to me
obfuscating does not mean DRM is applied. It is an XOR method of hiding the contents of the file so that it cannot be used by just copying it out and installing it in a fonts folder on a pc. DRM can be separately applied to the font file depending the the degree of protection that is wanted. By the way ADE method of obfuscating is slightly different from the idpf method described in their specification. However, I believe all eBook readers that support obfuscating use the Adobe method.

I personally do not embed fonts in eBooks I create but I have seen eBooks using obfuscating and I have seen licenses that allow this to be used to protect the font from being copied and used as it is. I have also seen DRM used on a font even when the rest of the book did not have DRM applied.

Dale
Old 07-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #40
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
obfuscating does not mean DRM is applied. It is an XOR method of hiding the contents of the file so that it cannot be used by just copying it out and installing it in a fonts folder on a pc. DRM can be separately applied to the font file depending the the degree of protection that is wanted. By the way ADE method of obfuscating is slightly different from the idpf method described in their specification. However, I believe all eBook readers that support obfuscating use the Adobe method.

I personally do not embed fonts in eBooks I create but I have seen eBooks using obfuscating and I have seen licenses that allow this to be used to protect the font from being copied and used as it is. I have also seen DRM used on a font even when the rest of the book did not have DRM applied.

Dale
Dale:

Can you point me to some example eBooks that are using obfuscated fonts? I'm not concerned about the licenses--simply the functionality, as I get this question often, and I tend to think that the problem that we've seen is that we get INDD files that have fonts in them that have already been obfuscated--hence, can't be used inside the ePUB file.

Thanks.

Hitch
Old 07-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
No, it fails on coptic ...
I did say just about. That does not mean all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #42
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Dale:

Can you point me to some example eBooks that are using obfuscated fonts? I'm not concerned about the licenses--simply the functionality, as I get this question often, and I tend to think that the problem that we've seen is that we get INDD files that have fonts in them that have already been obfuscated--hence, can't be used inside the ePUB file.

Thanks.

Hitch

According to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=obfuscated this thread all embedded fonts run through Calibre are automatically obfuscated using the Adobe method to avoid any issue with copyright.

Dale
Old 07-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #43
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
According to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=obfuscated this thread all embedded fonts run through Calibre are automatically obfuscated using the Adobe method to avoid any issue with copyright.

Dale
Hmmm. As I don't use Calibre, other than for cataloguing, I wouldn't have thought to look there. I'll take a look (not that I'm planning to use obfuscation--that's why the clients to license the fonts.)

THANKS, Dale!

Hitch
Old 07-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #44
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
BTW, Sigil also supports both font obfuscation methods. (Just right-click the fonts in the Book Browser and select the desired method.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #45
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
BTW, Sigil also supports both font obfuscation methods. (Just right-click the fonts in the Book Browser and select the desired method.)
Doitsu:

See--even an old dog can learn new tricks. THANKS!

Hitch

ETA: I just realized, in this entire thread, we've all--or at least I've been--talking apples and oranges. I've been talking about RECEIVING books for production with fonts that are already obfuscated--not putting obfuscated fonts IN ePUBS--although I've learned a new trick with that, and I'm grateful. But in re-reading it, I realized that DaleDe, etc., were talking about one thing and I another altogether. Thanks, all--and thanks Doitsu for the Sigil-obfuscation trick, too; we'll try it.--H

Last edited by Hitch; 07-27-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: D'oh! Realized talkin' apples and oranges.