Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #181
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Doesn't really matter. But going with the publication order rule says Dragon Ship first.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #182
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Reading order question : which one first, Necessity's Child or Dragon Ship?
Well, even though Dragon Ship was published first Necessity's Child takes place first chronologically if that matters, but I'm not sure it really makes much difference as Child is fairly stand alone. If I was reading the other Theo books I'd keep going into Dragon Ship.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #183
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I'm listening to the Theo audio books, so Dragon Ship it is. Thanks!
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #184
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Reading order question : which one first, Necessity's Child or Dragon Ship?
Don't think it matters.
Dragon ship is on the Theo Watley branch
Necessity's is on the Plan B/Surebleak branch
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #185
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finished listening to Dragon Ship, and my, my, my, I am sure interested to find out what's all going to happen next. That last bit of flotsam that entered that piece of "safe space" answered a "I wonder what happened to?" question that has been at the back of my mind for a while.

Cue that Paul Simon song....
Advert
Old 07-11-2013, 01:37 AM   #186
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No snerkers, but I agree, it does raise all sorts of fun questions as it answers one.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #187
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just a heads up.

Trade Secret will be part of the November Bundle over at Baen eBooks, available for download around October 15th. Should mean an eArc will be coming soon.

Quote:
Star‑spanning galactic trader Jethri Gobelyn’s story continues in the seventeenth entry in the Liaden Universe® series by master storytellers Sharon Lee and Steve Miller.

In a universe full of interstellar intrigue and burgeoning commerce novice Terran trader Jethri Gobelyn, adopted by a Liaden clan after an ill‑directed bow of honor insulted the scion of a major Liaden house, is alive and whole to tell the tale. Convinced that the adoption has saved his life and made his future he settles into a comfortable and even elite routine, a Trader's Ring his goal.

Even as Jethri's initiation into the mysteries and joys of Liaden Festival bring him to manhood he's forced to face Necessity and the facts of life: his adoption has also invigorated a net of unfinished Balance far more complex and potentially deadly than a simple Terran blood feud. He must embrace his Terran birthright as well as his Liaden connections while leaving behind the safety of the great Liaden trade ship Elthoria to defend his honor and that of shipmates past and present. Forced to sit Second Board as a back‑up pilot on a Liaden Scout ship, Jethri's convinced he's already at wit's end—when several familiar faces threaten all that he knows of himself, and all that he wishes to do.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:57 AM   #188
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Yes, the eArc is overdue already. Weeks ago, Toni said "Any day now", so I have to assume that there were significant revisions needed. IAC, I'm checking daily. But while I'm waiting, I'm taking the opportunity to read the Prince Roger or Empire of Man series again. Totally different, but such a guilty pleasure.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:57 AM   #189
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

What to do, what to do - get the e-ARC, or wait for my pre-ordered book?

Hmm... I can probably stave off the gotta-reads by listening to the audio version of "Balance of Trade" in October....
Old 07-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #190
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I shall wait patiently for the ebook in mid October. I do have about 290 unread ebooks to keep me amused until then...
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #191
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The Laiden Universe will be up shortly on my reading list will someone please set the back ground of the Laiden Universe. Here are some questions that will help show what I mean by the back ground. Does this series take place on one planet (as David Weber's Safehold series does) or do the characters travel between planets (as does the characters in David Weber's Honorverse)? Are humans masters of the universe (as they are in the Warhammer 40k books) or are we conquered people (as we are in Eric Flint's Crucible of Empire)?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #192
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Trade Secret - eARC by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller

If you can not wait, here is the long awaited eARC.

Trade Secret - eARC by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller.

bernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Just a heads up.

Trade Secret will be part of the November Bundle over at Baen eBooks, available for download around October 15th. Should mean an eArc will be coming soon.

gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #193
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post

bernie
Yup. Already bought, and I was just headed here to post.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #194
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post

bernie
AAARRRRGHHH!!!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #195
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
The Laiden Universe will be up shortly on my reading list will someone please set the back ground of the Laiden Universe. Here are some questions that will help show what I mean by the back ground. Does this series take place on one planet (as David Weber's Safehold series does) or do the characters travel between planets (as does the characters in David Weber's Honorverse)? Are humans masters of the universe (as they are in the Warhammer 40k books) or are we conquered people (as we are in Eric Flint's Crucible of Empire)?
Taking all the books of the series as a whole:
  • The stories are set on various planets, but the "homeworld" of the series is Liad, a non-Terran world. Space travel and trade is normal and unremarkable. The series isn't hung up on providing hard science explanations for why things work they way they do (no pages and pages of tech details like in the Weber books) but the actions and activities are presented in a believable fashion so the reader doesn't get hung up on incongruities.
  • Humans seem to be the prevalent species but there are three main subgroups - Liaden, Terran and Xtrang.
  • Think of Liadens as the aristocratic type - they exist within a well-defined social code, and are organized into familial clans. The leader of the clan is called the "delm" and he controls the lives within the clan. Liad is a modern society.
  • Think of Terrans as the scrappy mongrels of the universe, consisting of all the folks who are not Liaden or Liaden-affliliated. They probably all originated from Earth sometime in the past. Terrans have separate cultures but in the whole are a modern society, but the degrees of civilized behavior vary - especially in comparison to the Liadens.
  • Think of the Xtrang as a warrior caste. We know that they are human, warlike, and feared by everyone, but we don't know why their culture is driven to conquer. They are the bogeyman to Liadens and Terrans alike but for the most part have only a peripheral role. They are a modern, militaristic society.
  • The universe in which the majority of the books are set is, it appears, not necessarily the one where the ancestors of its current residents resided. Scientists are postulating that there might be common ties between the three human groups; there is strong resistance to that line of thought on Liad.
  • There aren't a lot of the typical scifi non-humanoid aliens running around. No folks with cat-heads, for example. But the non-humans that there are, are a sheer delight - the Clutch Turtles, the Tree, Jeeves, for example.
  • The points of intersection between the Terrrans and the Liadens seem to be the Trade/Pilot Guilds (self-explanatory), the Juntavas (think galactic crime empire so huge it has its own legal system), and the Liaden Scouts (the folks who are the natural-born explorers and questioners within Liaden society who, as a result, tend to chafe under its Code).