Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
dgrabla
dgrabla began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360
Lightbulb Wikitravel and Wikipedia

Hi!

After spending the last days reading this forum I'm on the verge of buying a PB360. As I mainly want the PB360 for traveling I still want to know if somebody has been able to load a complete wikitravel and wikipedia set for offline use.

For Wikitravel there is an offline version called OxygenGuide (http://code.google.com/p/oxygenguide/) I used in my Android device. OxygenGuide is a static HTML version of wikitravel without images. I think the PB360 has no HTML browser so even if I'm able to render the HTML pages, the hyperlinks will not work. Is this true? In this case I can always convert the HTML to .mobi. This is what the people do to have the guide on the Kindle (http://code.google.com/p/oxygenguide/wiki/Kindle). Does the PB360 open and render this file without problems?

For Wikipedia is more difficult. I would like to have a complete offline English wikipedia on the PB360 but I think nobody has done it yet.
- Does the hardware supports opening MASSIVE electronic books? The english wikipedia needs around 7GB so the epub will probably be too big.
- I use AARD to read the offline wikipedia on my netbook. Is it a port of http://aarddict.org/ planned or possible?

I hope you guys can help me with this issues!
Best regards,
David
dgrabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Bookster
Maniac
Bookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3 PRS505&600 Kindle2 Pocketbook360&302 BeBookmini Onyx Boox Opus
I can't say for Wikipedia, but OxygenGuide is proving to be a bit too massive for my PB360... even if it normally handles pdfs about a third of that size without any problem (and they're still massives).

BTW, thank you for the tip- it's really interesting to have an offline version of Wikitravel.

Last edited by Bookster; 03-02-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Bookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
dgrabla

Is it slow? does it open the file?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
Bookster
Maniac
Bookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3 PRS505&600 Kindle2 Pocketbook360&302 BeBookmini Onyx Boox Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrabla View Post
Is it slow? does it open the file?
It can't open the file (which is kind of weird, PB360 handles usually pdfs with images a third of that size without hassle, and pdfs are much more messy* than mobis!).

*above all the ones from OUP *grumbles*
Bookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
dgrabla

Oh oh... no wikipedia / wikitravel are very bad news for me.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
I tried the oxygenfile on PocketBook Software (302) but should be the same on the 360. File opens quick as normal.

Watch the attachments, for one screen and the index of the file. Links are working properly.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp scr0015.bmp (234.5 KB, 480 views)
File Type: bmp scr0016.bmp (234.5 KB, 442 views)
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrabla View Post
Hi!

For Wikitravel there is an offline version called OxygenGuide (http://code.google.com/p/oxygenguide/) I used in my Android device. OxygenGuide is a static HTML version of wikitravel without images. I think the PB360 has no HTML browser so even if I'm able to render the HTML pages, the hyperlinks will not work. Is this true? In this case I can always convert the HTML to .mobi.
If you're going to do a conversion, I'd suggest doing it to ePub rather than Mobi because the Adobe Reader seems to handle big files better than FBReader. I have a scaled-down wikipedia that I downloaded from links mentioned in a post in this forum and the adobe reader handles it tolerably well.

Pretty much the only instance I've found where Adobe is better than FBReader.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I have a scaled-down wikipedia that I downloaded from links mentioned in a post in this forum and the adobe reader handles it tolerably well.

Pretty much the only instance I've found where Adobe is better than FBReader.
Where, if you please?
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here you go:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54166

The epubs run 12MB and 42MB and the PRCs run 9MB and 37MB.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Thanks, it does work....

Back in the late '50s I dreamed of having an electronic dictionary / encyclopedia where you could look up anything. I don't think that ereaders will be it though.

Thanks anyway.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
Thanks, it does work....

Back in the late '50s I dreamed of having an electronic dictionary / encyclopedia where you could look up anything. I don't think that ereaders will be it though.

Thanks anyway.
You can have one right now if you want to.
It'll hit you closer to $699 than $239, though.
All you need is a Win7 tablet PC (HP has a slate model coming; Archos and others are already out); add your choice of ebook reading software, Britannica or Wikipedia on CD, and assorted referencesetc.

I did it five years ago with my HP TC1000 tablet.
You don't get weeks worth of battery life or paperlike display but you can do it.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #12
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
I put the wikipedia epub (without pictures) on my PB 360 and it works very well. If you want the pictures, there's always the pdb version which will also run on the 360. It takes a couple minutes to load up but once it does you can page through and search it quickly. There's also the Kindle which offers free wireless access to wikipedia (and other web sites).

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
The wikitravel html (oxygenguide) works fine and is rather fast. Of course the links are working. Just unzip and paste into your 360° and off you go.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #14
PocketGoods
Banned
PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: PB360
There is a couple of guys in russian forum, who writes a special app to quick access to wikipedia file and handle it like a dictionary. Hopefully they'll do it soon. I'd like to have wiki on my PB too.

Last edited by PocketGoods; 03-16-2010 at 01:02 PM.
PocketGoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
Drseltsam
Connoisseur
Drseltsam began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 360
How do I follow links in the fbreader with the PB360? Is there a trick?

thank you!

edit: found the option, sorry

edit2: wikitravel seems dead to me. what a shame, the project was pretty cool

Last edited by Drseltsam; 03-16-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Drseltsam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pb360, wikipedia, wikitravel