Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Documentation for Sigil

Sigil definitely needs some documentation. Although an offline version should be available and is planned, IMO the best documentation is always online since it can be updated even between releases. Google code provides all projects with wiki pages. Sigil's pages can be found here (there is not much there now).

I'd like members of the MobileRead community to help write some docs for Sigil: best practices, guides on getting things done, etc. Whatever you think is necessary. The reasons why I'm asking for community help follow:
  • The more time I spend writing docs, the less time I spend writing code;
  • The community has already produced some wonderfull guides and tutorials for various tools, including other ebook editors;
  • People who want to contribute to the project but don't know how to code now have a way of helping out.
Anyone interested can respond here and I'll add them as contributors to Sigil on it's project page. You'll need a Google account.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Can you shed some light on the name Sigil. How did you pick it and what does it mean? Inquiring minds want to know.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Can you shed some light on the name Sigil. How did you pick it and what does it mean? Inquiring minds want to know.
Sigil (sigillum) in Latin means "small seal" or "signet". The word "sigla" also stands for an abbreviation used in manuscripts in medieval times.

Basically I wanted the following for the name:
  1. Sound good;
  2. Easily pronounceable in Croatian and English;
  3. Have something to do with books.
The name Sigil fits all of these. At least IMO.

Last edited by Valloric; 08-05-2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Thanks, sounds like you have put some real thought into the name as well as the product.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Sigil (sigillum) in Latin means "small seal" or "signet". The word "sigla" also stands for an abbreviation used in manuscripts in medieval times.

Basically I wanted the following for the name:
  1. Sound good;
  2. Easily pronounceable in Croatian and English;
  3. Have something to do with books.
The name Sigil fits all of these. At least IMO.
I thought maybe it alluded to "magic ePub editor".

"A sigil is usually made up of a complex combination of several specific symbols or geometric figures each with a specific meaning or intent."

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigil_(magic)
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
I thought maybe it alluded to "magic ePub editor".

"A sigil is usually made up of a complex combination of several specific symbols or geometric figures each with a specific meaning or intent."

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigil_(magic)
that must be the other reason.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Basically I wanted the following for the name: ... Easily pronounceable in Croatian and English....
OK, but how do you pronounce it in English? I can see eight possiblilities--although some are pretty unlikely--but I'm guessing we're not all using the same one.

(P.S. -- I've just started playing with it. Thank you very much, Valloric!)
DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
It's almost the same word used in Swedish as well. Here it's spelled "Sigill" and pronounced Sijil´
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM View Post
OK, but how do you pronounce it in English?
The preferred pronouncement would be /ˈsɪdʒəl/, in IPA.

But I'm not anal about it. You are free to pronounce it differently if you speak a foreign language (or even if you don't) and something else feels more natural.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I'll pronounce it /'sixil/ or /'sihil/ in Spanish anyway
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #11
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I'll pronounce it /'sixil/ or /'sihil/ in Spanish anyway
Like I've said, you are free to do so.

I pronounce it slightly differently when I'm talking about it in Croatian, too.

Last edited by Valloric; 09-04-2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
The preferred pronouncement would be /ˈsɪdʒəl/ ...
Thanks. I was close, but had been using a gutteral "g", /ˈsɪgəl/. One of the benefits of creating the software is that you get to declare the preferred pronunciation, so /ˈsɪdʒəl/ it is!
DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #13
Valloric

It's time to make this happen. Sigil needs some docs.

I'd like the documentation to be written in reStructuredText, and then handed off to Sphinx which will then generate an epub and a nice PDF version with LaTeX (yes, PDF for technical documentation is preferable over epub).

But someone has to write the RST docs. I intend to write some/most/all of it depending on the number of volunteers. But I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the more time I spend writing docs is the less time I spend writing code.

The 0.2.0 interface is here to stay and no major redesigns are in the foreseeable future, so there's a relatively stable basis from which to work.

Anyone willing should post here, send me a PM, an email, whatever. Just get in contact.

Last edited by Valloric; 03-02-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:44 AM   #14
Dave.Farrant
Dave.Farrant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Obviously the documentation has got into Sphinx. What's the likelihood of an EPUB version?

Dave
Dave.Farrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:46 AM   #15
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.Farrant View Post
Obviously the documentation has got into Sphinx. What's the likelihood of an EPUB version?

Dave
Not this again...

See the links I posted in reply to this issue.