Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #751
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I became quite comfortable reading with the book coverless. It took some time because I had read on previous readers holding on to something leather/fake leather. I bought a $27 Targus tablet cover for transporting the Aura today at WalMart. I don't take it out of the house very much, but I do occasionally.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #752
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
I had a chance to look at the Aura first hand a the Chapters bookstore.

Thinner: I felt the Aura looked thinner compared to the Glo.

That sounds odd. The Glo is (much) thinner.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #753
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
The hard plastic shell doesn't bother me much when I'm reading, but it still doesn't feel as nice as my Touch when I first pick it up. And while the slick surface doesn't tend to slip out of my grip when I'm reading, I have had it slide too easily off my lap or a tilted surface and hit the floor a couple of times.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #754
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
The hard plastic shell doesn't bother me much when I'm reading, but it still doesn't feel as nice as my Touch when I first pick it up. And while the slick surface doesn't tend to slip out of my grip when I'm reading, I have had it slide too easily off my lap or a tilted surface and hit the floor a couple of times.
I agree 100%. The Aura back doesn't bother me but I need to get a cover. All of my other readers have covers so the soft touch back is a moot point for me. I need the cover because the darn thing has slipped and taken a nose dive a couple of times. I have it in a BB Playbook sleeve for storage as a stopgap until I can find a good third party cover, or until Kobo comes out with a cover without the same "not so lap friendly" back.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #755
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
http://www.amazon.com/Glock-Grip-Tap.../dp/B00ATH0KEA

Also:

http://motorcycle-superstore.com/11/...pe-sheets.aspx

http://www.redbubble.com/shop/stickers

There are plenty of colorful ways to add some grip to our devices. The stickers can be
removed.

Luck;
Ken

http://www.redbubble.com/people/kata...&ref=shop_grid

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-08-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #756
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
No idea if they're any good or not, but Skinomi has skins for the Aura...

http://www.skinomi.com/koauhde.html

IIRC Decal Girl said they have them coming as well.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-08-2013 at 01:44 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #757
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
There's also that stuff that one attaches to the bottom of furniture, so floors don't get scratched.

(I am NOT suggesting that the Aura be attached to the bottom of heavy furniture, such as a sofa or a dresser! This would make reading extremely difficult, and might result in a pinched finger.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #758
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Just received my Aura HD. So far, not so good. I was setting it up via wi-fi and the device said it found an update which it automatically installed. Device restarted and seems to have been reset to factory defaults so had to set-up the device again. After that, I was able to log-in to my Kobo account but for some reason, my device won't sync Kobo purchased ebooks via wi-fi.
I had that happen with my Glo under the 2.5.x firmware. What was happening was that all the purchased books got flagged as "archived" (with the arrow-in-circle icon) instead of queued for download. Once I realized that, getting 'em via wi-fi was pretty simple.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #759
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
No idea if they're any good or not, but Skinomi has skins for the Aura...

http://www.skinomi.com/koauhde.html

IIRC Decal Girl said they have them coming as well.
When I contacted DecalGirl a couple of weeks ago I was told to check their website in 3-4 weeks. Perhaps more requests will speed that up. (?)

Having used their skins on many devices, my recommendation would be to select the matte option, as opposed to gloss, to maximize the purpose of the skin.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #760
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
When I contacted DecalGirl a couple of weeks ago I was told to check their website in 3-4 weeks. Perhaps more requests will speed that up. (?)

Having used their skins on many devices, my recommendation would be to select the matte option, as opposed to gloss, to maximize the purpose of the skin.
I contacted them last week and received the following reply on 5 May:

Lyn, while we do skins for many of the Kobo readers, I am so sorry we do not support that device as yet. What I can do is have the Kobo Aura added to our list of devices to discuss with our development team. If the device is being marketed well or we get a great response from consumers there may be a great chance we will do it.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #761
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post

Lyn, while we do skins for many of the Kobo readers, I am so sorry we do not support that device as yet. What I can do is have the Kobo Aura added to our list of devices to discuss with our development team. If the device is being marketed well or we get a great response from consumers there may be a great chance we will do it.
Nothing like conflicting information.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #762
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post

Yep - this is the same reply I got from them as well.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #763
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
For those who have used the Aura and the Glo: Does the Aura's screen have the same slightly "sandy" feel that the Glo screen has?

Thanks -

Courtney
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #764
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
For those who have used the Aura and the Glo: Does the Aura's screen have the same slightly "sandy" feel that the Glo screen has?

Thanks -

Courtney
My Aura is about as smooth as my Touch. If I remember correctly, the Glo is much rougher.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #765
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
My Aura is about as smooth as my Touch. If I remember correctly, the Glo is much rougher.
Good to know - I found the texture of the Glo to be somewhat off-putting, but I am probably more picky than most about such things.
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote