Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #196
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Yay. nice one

I grabbed this only last night to do a build. thanks for time saved.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #197
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
(-_-) : you would need development tools and headers to compile yourself. just download and use a readily compiled version. like the one in the OP or the version that dsmid compiled and packaged.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #198
(-_-)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: O_o
Thanks, that might make it a little easier.

I unzipped the compiled version, along with with libusbx in a folder with it.
I see: 'shell script', 'perl script' and 'unknown' file types.
But I can not figure out how to run the k3flasher program....

I'm sure I need the terminal here. I've fiddled with it for a while, but I still have to ask for help.

Sorry for dumb questions...

How do I start the program?

(ubuntu)
(-_-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #199
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=188

You must do that BEFORE you

put your device in USB Downloader mode

more completely you can try reading through:

a "worked example" is HERE (doing something a bit different that what you intend, no doubt. but all the commands you might need are there.)

Last edited by twobob; 02-21-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:28 AM   #200
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(-_-): You need a terminal window and you'll have to use the shell. Switch to the path where the k3flasher binary is stored. Make sure it can be executed: "chmod +x k3flasher". Make a backup of the current state of your device, no matter if it is broken. Call the backup script in order to do so: "sh k3-backup.sh", or better, dpavlin's included Perl script: "perl k3flasher-incremental-backup.pl". Then use k3flasher to write a clean rootfs, kernel or bootloader (depending on what is broken).
Old 02-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #201
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
(-_-): You need a terminal window and you'll have to use the shell. Switch to the path where the k3flasher binary is stored. Make sure it can be executed: "chmod +x k3flasher". Make a backup of the current state of your device, no matter if it is broken. Call the backup script in order to do so: "sh k3-backup.sh", or better, dpavlin's included Perl script: "perl k3flasher-incremental-backup.pl". Then use k3flasher to write a clean rootfs, kernel or bootloader (depending on what is broken).
That is EXCELLENT advice for all.

Noted.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #202
meteor
meteor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
K3Flasher reset returns memset error: 0x56787856

I have a Kindle 3 3G/Wifi I've been trying to debrick with K3Flasher. When I try to use the K3Flasher reset option I get:

Code:
$ sudo ./k3flasher mx35to2_mmc.bin reset
I: found suitable device
E: wrong transfer length, wanted to receive 8 bytes but received 4 bytes.
I: above error can be ignored, it's due to the device being in ROM kernel mode
E: kindle reported a memset error: 0x56787856
E: error when initializing SoC registers
E: aborting. It is suggested you power-cycle the device.
if I try to use the K3Flasher info option I get:

Code:
$ sudo ./k3flasher mx35to2_mmc.bin info
I: above error can be ignored, it's due to the device being in ROM kernel mode
I: RAM kernel should be running now. Trying to re-open device: .
I: got it.
I: read info
E: aborting. It is suggested you power-cycle the device.
I have two batteries that I charged outside of the Kindle (using an external power supply) and both are showing >4.2V so a dead/weak battery should not be the issue.

Any advice on next steps I should take? Feel free to reply with any questions.
meteor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #203
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Have you tried Kubrick?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #204
meteor
meteor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Have you tried Kubrick?
Many thanks for your quick reply!

I tried Kubrick before K3Flasher: Kubrick finds the Kindle 3 and completes without error, but the two flash programming steps occur too quickly: where the first flash should take 10-30 seconds and the second flash several hours, both complete in a few seconds.

I also tried Freescale's ATK on a couple of different Windows machines and it returns a "can't find USB device" error. On these forums it says that this occurs when the USB device drivers didn't install, that's why I tried it on two different Windows machines (XP and Windows 7.) On both machines Windows sees the Kindle 3 as "SE Blank Ringo" so I seem to be able to put the Kindle into USB downloader mode.

Keep those questions coming!
meteor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #205
hawhill
Wizard

Your device doesn't seem to keep running the RAM kernel but rather stays in a close reboot loop. This indicates hardware failure. You can rule out flash memory and external devices like e.g. the e-ink screen and driver. Most likely it is power or RAM related. Since you ruled out power, I guess there's not much hope.... :-(
Old 08-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #206
twobob

Okay: So I have used k3flasher now a little over 100 times on about as many devices.

EDIT: It's been a while since I did the last lot but I did 3 today so far.

Bugbear: On devices that have been left on display since time immemorial (that's a long time by the way my non-UK friends) it appears to trash the device.

This has happened 7 time out of 100 now.

(1 out of the 3 today)

Here's a snippet from the end of one of these times:

THE COMMANDS: (not a big fan of typing things twice... so... yeah)

Code:
sudo ./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin program rootfs ./mmcblk0p1-3.4+jb+keys.img ; 
sudo ./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin info ; 
sudo ./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin reset

The final output:

Code:
I: flashed 0x001e0000 (=1966080) bytes
I: flashed 0x001f0000 (=2031616) bytes
I: flashed 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes
I: flashing of 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes complete
I: offset 0x28a00000 continue_address 0x28dc1000 100.00%
I: writing 0x00007000 (=28672) bytes to address 0x28dc1000, waiting for completion...
I: wrote 0x00007000 (=28672) bytes, waiting for completion...
I: flashing of 0x00007000 (=28672) bytes complete
I: offset 0x28a07000 continue_address 0x28dc8000 100.00%
[sudo] password for twobob: 
I: read info
I: got size 1048576 (probably wrong)
I: downloading 0x00000200 (=512) bytes, starting at 0x00040c00
I: DO NOT MAKE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION PUBLIC!
I: if you need to discuss it in public, obfuscate
I: e.g. the second half of the numbers.
I: got device serial number <B00ZZ0Z000999999>
I: got device Wifi MAC <99ZZ9999999Z>
I: resetting device.
EDIT: (So you can see everything looks fine at this point)

And then after removing the power cable, and power cycling with the switch the device show a permanent green power light and will do nothing else.

I have one of these devices in this state actually here at the moment.

So, Yeah, excellent product, just wanted to share my experiences with the odd few bad-uns.

Any clues on magicking up a working device from the toastie ones would be cool

Respect to Hawhill for providing this awesome tool btw.
EDIT: Err yeah you really need more details from me, I'll try to think of some tests tomorrow that I can manage

Last edited by twobob; 08-05-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:50 AM   #207
hawhill
Wizard

Not that it will probably help, but I would indeed be interested in what the behaviour is when it is put into download mode again (does this even work?) and how k3flasher behaves on a second try...

Thanks for the kudos, much appreciated. My K3 is long gone, I've made it a gift after getting a KPW and then it died by an unfortunate accident (to be exact, the screen died). So this software project lives on even when the device is long dead :-) (good thing it does work pretty reliable, I now have nothing to debug it, though I could probably get back the remains of the K3).
Old 08-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #208
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I: DO NOT MAKE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION PUBLIC!
I: if you need to discuss it in public, obfuscate
I: e.g. the second half of the numbers.
I: got device serial number <B00ZZ0Z000999999>
If that is really a B00Z ... serial number -
Then that is most likely a "development prototype" board.

Translation: All bets are off.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #209
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If that is really a B00Z ... serial number -
Then that is most likely a "development prototype" board.

Translation: All bets are off.
Ah no. I obfuscated it.
sorry.

@hawhill...

Okay Ill hook it up when I get a break in a bit.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #210
twobob

Okay... so it goes back into USBDOWNLOADER mode.
and INFO reports correctly?

Does it charge in this mode? Because the "Other mode" (full green light) just dumps the charging as far as I can tell... Gonna be tough to get it to have enough charge otherwise to try for a second attempt....

Any ideas anyone?

EDIT: One final question:

sudo ./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin reset
I: resetting device.

would THAT put it into a charging state?
I have never been clear what that is supposed to do. (since nothing visibly happens)
I would hazard a guess that it switches to the default "mode". So charging maybe?

Last edited by twobob; 08-06-2013 at 10:19 AM.