Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #646
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1. Unlikely, but possible

2. should be fine

3. not a good idea
Old 01-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #647
D_G_
D_G_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:58 PM   #648
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Well after closing Calibre and everything else I had running and that didn't fix it, I rebooted and that fixed it.

It's odd, because it was having issues with the file in the Calibre libray and I know of nothing else that accesses that except calibre.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #649
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, having some problems with series books. Somewhere along the line I (maybe this thread) discovered that a plugboard with
Quote:
{series_index} {title}
would prefix the series number in front of the book title when sending it to the kindle. Unfortunately, books with series numbers greater than 10, sort before books in the series less than 10.
Quote:
10series
11series
1series
I'm not sure what to put in the plugboard to cause all books to have a 2 digit series number, i.e. 01, 02, 11. Any suggestions?

I've also discovered that when creating collections by authors and there are two collections in the folder, the books will be listed like this:
Quote:
1 series1
1 series2
2 series1
2 series2
which sucks.

Is there a way to fix this? Perhaps automatically prefix the books with an abbreviate of the series name, like VC for Vampire Chronicles. I don't want the full series name as that would make the title too long. I think I'm asking for two much on that one.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #650
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
Ok, having some problems with series books. Somewhere along the line I (maybe this thread) discovered that a plugboard with

would prefix the series number in front of the book title when sending it to the kindle. Unfortunately, books with series numbers greater than 10, sort before books in the series less than 10.

I'm not sure what to put in the plugboard to cause all books to have a 2 digit series number, i.e. 01, 02, 11. Any suggestions?

I've also discovered that when creating collections by authors and there are two collections in the folder, the books will be listed like this:

which sucks.

Is there a way to fix this? Perhaps automatically prefix the books with an abbreviate of the series name, like VC for Vampire Chronicles. I don't want the full series name as that would make the title too long. I think I'm asking for two much on that one.
Code:
{series}/{series_index:0>2s}-{title}
Is what I use for save to disk. the 2s pads the leading zero when needed for 2 places

Sorry, there is no abbreviated coding. You could make a custom column for Trimmed-series names and populate it by hand ( use the Tag browser to select the series and Bulk Metadata to set your custom col values)
Old 01-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #651
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
You can use regular expressions in the template language. There was some discussion about achieving something similar to what you want some time ago, however, I don't know how it turned out. Searching the forum or looking in the documentation are your two best options. From having a quick look at the documentation, I think that using a pattern like
Code:
{series:re('[a-z ]','')} {title}
should probably do the trick if you only want the capital letters from the series name... I'd suggest building a custom composite column and testing till you get the template you like, then pasting that into the plugboard.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #652
meehrcat
meehrcat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.meehrcat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.meehrcat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.meehrcat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle 3
Don't know where the right place is to post this, but I have just solved a problem that was really bugging me with the mail and want to share it - its probably obvious to many people, but the 'send to my email' function wasn't working because I had myusername@gmail.com authorised on the amazon kindle preferences as @gmail.com, when it is in fact @googlemail.com. This is odd because if i email myself @gmail.com i receive the mail, but I guess for amazon's purposes it doesn't recognise this. Calibre said everything was working okay, but obviously it cant know whether the kindle received my mail or not. Anyway, thanks for calibre!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #653
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by meehrcat View Post
Don't know where the right place is to post this, but I have just solved a problem that was really bugging me with the mail and want to share it - its probably obvious to many people, but the 'send to my email' function wasn't working because I had myusername@gmail.com authorised on the amazon kindle preferences as @gmail.com, when it is in fact @googlemail.com. This is odd because if i email myself @gmail.com i receive the mail, but I guess for amazon's purposes it doesn't recognise this. Calibre said everything was working okay, but obviously it cant know whether the kindle received my mail or not. Anyway, thanks for calibre!
Sweet info. That probably explains why it never worked for me either. I just gave up trying though because I wouldn't use this feature too often. Although now that the Feedbooks Kindle guide is discontinued I might just have to.

BOb
Old 02-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #654
jangell2
Addict

I've got a drm free mobi file with very little meta data. I use Calibre to add the meta data. Is the meta data now in the mobi file, or do I have to convert the mobi to mobi to get the meta data inserted?

BTW, what does Calibre do (besides inserting meta data) when converting a mobi to mobi?
Old 02-02-2011, 12:32 AM   #655
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
At the point you have edited the metadata in Calibre, the revised metadata has not (yet) been embedded into the mobi file. The metadata will get inserted if you export the file from Calibre using the Save to Disk functionality.

One good reason to do a mobi->mobi conversion is to either get a new cover embedded in the file, or to embed a 'jacket' for displaying metadata at the start of the book. Those two features require a conversion and not simply an Export.

Last edited by itimpi; 02-02-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #656
jangell2
Addict

Thank you. I suspected I had to do a conversion to get the cover in there, which nice to see on the kindle.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #657
jangell2
Addict

I've had another permission denied problem. The last time was when I was trying to run a conversion on a zip file containing an html file(s). I don't remember whether the first occurence was a zip file before adding or whether Calibre put the html in a zip, which I believe it always does.

This time the book I added was a single html file which I added to Calibre. I then went into edit meta data, downloaded meta data and a cover, update various fields and than clicked ok. That's when the permission error occurred. I tried closing Calibre and reopening but that didn't work. I tried deleting the book with Calibre and got the permission error.

I then noticed I was behind a release and updated Calibre and then it let me update the book. No other changes were made (that I know of) to the system. I didn't cancel any services or applications and I'm assuming the file that Calibre is trying to update is in the Calibre library. I know of no other applications on my system that would use the Calibre library.

I see there are points of commonality between the two occurences. Both were with zip files and both contained html. In one I was trying to run a conversion and in the other I was trying to edit the meta data.

Another point in common is that in both instances I had been updating several books before the problem occurred. It's never happened right away.

The messages that are issued, which I stupidly forgot to save, don't point to another application or service that I can see.

I notice that in the Calibre folder for the book in question there is a metadata.opf file. Is that the file that Calibre updates when changing the meta data? If so, the next time this happens I'll use windows explorer to check out the attributes. Even if I discover it's read only, I won't know who it became that way.

Here's something interesting. When I was having the trouble I tried changing the name of the book in the edit meta data window. When I clicked ok, I still got the error but I've just now noticed there is an empty folder the Calibre libary with the new name I gave the book. It created this folder even though the update of the meta data was unsuccessful. That new name doesn't show up in the list of books in Calibre. I presume I can just manually delete it?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #658
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I've had another permission denied problem. The last time was when I was trying to run a conversion on a zip file containing an html file(s). I don't remember whether the first occurence was a zip file before adding or whether Calibre put the html in a zip, which I believe it always does.
This happens on occasion. You can minimize these occurrences by exempting your calibre library from being scanned by your Anti-virus software.

Quote:
I know of no other applications on my system that would use the Calibre library.
I had two obvious ones, my anti-virus software and my Dropbox software. I still have a hiccup every now and then because Dropbox. When I get an error it rarely interferes, sometimes I just redo what I was doing and all is fine.

Quote:
I notice that in the Calibre folder for the book in question there is a metadata.opf file.
In your calibre library the metadata.opf files contain all of the metadata for that entry that is in the calibre database and is used in an emergency to recreate your calibre database.

Quote:
It created this folder even though the update of the meta data was unsuccessful. That new name doesn't show up in the list of books in Calibre. I presume I can just manually delete it?
You can delete it but it would be better to use the Check Library feature (see attached) and delete any anomalies via that result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	check_library.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	66004  
Old 02-07-2011, 04:51 AM   #659
Trine
Trine began at the beginning.

Device: Hanvon WiseReader N518
Hanvon WiseReader Support

Hello,

I kindly ask you to add support for the Hanvon WiseReader to the calibre suite. Where can I send the necessary information to?

Thanks in advance

Trine
Old 02-07-2011, 04:56 AM   #660
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trine View Post
I kindly ask you to add support for the Hanvon WiseReader to the calibre suite. Where can I send the necessary information to?
Just start a new thread in the Device sub-forum and paste the required info there. Alternatively you can go to the tracker and open up a ticket, but it seems finicky at this time.
Closed Thread