Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #16
Ebook lover
NUUT, Cybook Device
Ebook lover began at the beginning.

Device: O2
It was impressive to see it in during the SID, but I couldn't get them to tell me their shipping date or price. Did anyone else get a chance to talk to them about their delivery schedule and pricing?
Ebook lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:39 AM   #17
awi
Enthusiast
awi has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: 2x Irex Iliad V2, DR1000s & DR800sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
Wow. You could cut this in half, and put the halves on facing sides of a clamshell device, slap on some solar cells for trickle recharge, and have a heck of an ebook reader.

Finally, some good news!
I never understand why an ereader should have facing pages to stick to the "old" book idea.

One of the main benefits of a "one faced" ereader is the ability to hold it comfortable in one hand.
awi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2008, 06:08 AM   #18
Icarusbop
Groupie
Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
And obviously, you wouldn't be cutting a big one in half.
To cut this epaper in half I guess you would need a good pair of escissors?
Icarusbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:53 AM   #19
Luigino
Groupie
Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nothing
I already gave somewhere in the thread about astak mentor a link of the epson model B6 format where there are specification details of this ePaper and they sound really impressive....
After Mentor's device, this Epson could be my next reader in the future due those impressive characteristics...
Luigino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #20
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
what about the color-version that they were going to present?
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #21
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
o O
| |
| |
| |
|_| <= jaw

I SO want this! And rollable, if possible
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:41 PM   #22
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Personally, 300 ppi at 16 gray levels would be fine for me. I'd rather see more contrast (and contrast control) than more pixels once we get to 300dpi. One thing is that there's almost certainly s a tradeoff there - more pixels means more dead space compared to pixels, so the effective contrast will drop. LCD displays and digital camera sensors have this problem, for instance.
OFFTOPIC: While I don't know about LCDs, the issue with Digital sensors isn't so much to do with dead space as it is shinking photosites. The smaller these are, generally the weaker their signal and the more amplification is needed. This in turn leads to more noise in the picture, which manufacturers often try to compensate for by lowering the effective dynamic range.

ON TOPIC: According to the link this screen also has a contrast ratio of 10:1. If correct, this would actually be an improvement over the current screens, which are only 7:1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awi View Post
I never understand why an ereader should have facing pages to stick to the "old" book idea.

One of the main benefits of a "one faced" ereader is the ability to hold it comfortable in one hand.
Well, there are certain circumstances where having two screens side-by-side might be beneficial. Such replicating the effect where a magazine, comic, or textbook has content stretched out across both pages, or perhaps when you need to to have two different books open at the same time.

On the other hand I agree that just having one screen is convenient in its own right.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:41 AM   #23
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Well, there are certain circumstances where having two screens side-by-side might be beneficial. Such replicating the effect where a magazine, comic, or textbook has content stretched out across both pages, or perhaps when you need to to have two different books open at the same time.
Sometimes, I would like to see references, tables, and figures that are not on the same page as the description when I read academic papers. Switching back and forth is not very practical given the slow refresh rate of e-ink screen.
Of course, if e-ink (or anything equivalent) achieves fast refresh rate matching that of LCD, we may be able to do with one screen. Until then, I can see some benefits of having dual screen.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:29 AM   #24
James Bryant
Ebook fanatic since 1962
James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Cybook3/REB1100/Kolin/iRex iLiad/JetBook & JB Mini/Onyx C67, T68, Poke
Musicians want larger displays, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh

People will pay more for professional devices, and I've always believed that an A4/Letter sized display device would be primarily a professional device.

As mentioned above, they would be too big for casual pursuits, but to replace a clipboard or a laptop in a reference/notation function, they'd be the bomb for professions such as lawyer, doctor, teacher/professor, anyone who handles lots of paper that they don't necessarily need to keep long-term ... and of course every manager on up to CEO who has to display gizmological dominance over his/her "herd."
Add performing musician to that list - in spades! Probably with a foot (or bow tip) operated page turn.

James
James Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:00 AM   #25
Luigino
Groupie
Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I read somewhere in the SID2008 news Epson's going to start selling in these days the component which manages those ePapers....

http://www.informationdisplay.org/ne...new_products67

so if eInk papers of Epsons are same eInk products then this device they are selling should demonstrate eInk paper has more capabilities than expected as they said on their site... just let's buy one of those devices and a eInk epaper and try at home connecting them and see... :-)

if it's the truth, then I would really appreciate Epson's product as good product and having one on my hands.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:35 AM   #26
Ojier
Forth lover
Ojier began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad / Jinke Hanlin v3
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
Sometimes, I would like to see references, tables, and figures that are not on the same page as the description when I read academic papers. Switching back and forth is not very practical given the slow refresh rate of e-ink screen.
Of course, if e-ink (or anything equivalent) achieves fast refresh rate matching that of LCD, we may be able to do with one screen. Until then, I can see some benefits of having dual screen.
It seems that their new IC S1D13521 can control this screen at a great speed:
Up to 2048x1536 @ 50Hz
Up to 4096x4096 @ less than 50Hz

http://vdc.epson.com/index.php?optio...=289&Itemid=99
Ojier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #27
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Just found this quicky video of the screen in action. Even at horribly low youtube resolution it's looking all the more impressive.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:07 PM   #28
Luigino
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Just found this quicky video of the screen in action. Even at horribly low youtube resolution it's looking all the more impressive.
Really impressive!! If I could be at that SID 2008 I would surely asked to Epson's to give me that prototype!...