Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 05:13 AM   #1
lynnemcc87
lynnemcc87 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question I need a Kindle or Kindle Fire fan to answer some questions for me.

Hi, I am currently doing a project on Jeff Bezos, who is the creator of Amazon.com and Kindle products. I have been asked to ask questions about his products in order to use the answers in my report for college. I would appreciate it if somebody who is a fan of kindle could answer these questions for me. They dont have to be complicated answers.
  • How many Kindles have you owned, and which ones were they?
  • What made you purchase a Kindle in the first place?
  • What features do you love most about the Kindle?
  • Do you think that the Kindle Fire will be bigger and better than the iPad?
  • Where do you download you’re e-books?
  • Do you have anything to say about the work of Jeff Bezos, who is the creator of Amazon and Kindle?

Thank you for your time
lynnemcc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
>How many Kindles have you owned, and which ones were they?
Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HD

>What made you purchase a Kindle in the first place?
I've always liked the idea of ebooks, and the Kindle and Amazon were the first combination of hardware and bookstore that seemed to pull it all together for me. I looked at Sony several times, but I didn't like the bookstore at all.

>What features do you love most about the Kindle?
Larger font sizes, without a doubt. My vision has never been great, and the adjustable font sizes made reading for pleasure an option again.

>Do you think that the Kindle Fire will be bigger and better than the iPad?
No, the Fire fills a niche, but I don't see it overtaking the iPad any time soon, if ever.

>Where do you download you’re e-books?
Mainly Amazon, and Overdrive Library, occasionally Baen, Smashwords, or one of the other smaller distributers.

>Do you have anything to say about the work of Jeff Bezos, who is the creator of Amazon and Kindle?
Not much. I don't agree with everything he's done. I think basing the design of the first Kindle on his Blackberry was a mistake. But mostly, I approve of the things he's done for ebooks.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
    The only Kindle that I own is the Paperwhite.
    I wanted to see some of my books on the device before I put them up for sale on Amazon.
    The e-ink screen.
    No.
    Project Gutenberg, Amazon, Overdrive, and my computer.
  • Do you have anything to say about the work of Jeff Bezos, who is the creator of Amazon and Kindle?
    It is rather remarkable that Amazon has grown to such a dominant position given that they started as a book seller.

"Where do you download you’re e-books?" should read "Where do you download your e-books?" You're means you are.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnemcc87 View Post
Hi, I am currently doing a project on Jeff Bezos, who is the creator of Amazon.com and Kindle products. I have been asked to ask questions about his products in order to use the answers in my report for college. I would appreciate it if somebody who is a fan of kindle could answer these questions for me. They dont have to be complicated answers.
  • How many Kindles have you owned, and which ones were they? I have owned 2 Kindles: the Kindle 2, Kindle Keyboard 3G
  • What made you purchase a Kindle in the first place? Got the Kindle 2 as a birthday gift in January 2010
  • What features do you love most about the Kindle? Long battery life, purchase & download books in a few minutes without leaving my house, can carry thousands of books in a small package, built in dictionary, search feature, adjustable font size, ease of reading in sunlight.
  • Do you think that the Kindle Fire will be bigger and better than the iPad? No, I think the iPad will always be better than the Fire.
  • Where do you download you’re e-books? Mostly from Amazon.
  • Do you have anything to say about the work of Jeff Bezos, who is the creator of Amazon and Kindle? I think he has done an outstanding job with Amazon. While not the first one to produce an ereader, Bezos with the Kindle line certainly made it mainstream. Very much like Apple did with the iPod.

Thank you for your time You're welcome.
My answers are in red.

Last edited by ucfgrad93; 12-18-2012 at 02:39 PM.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:

Thank you for your time
1) Two, a Kindle Keyboard and a Kindle Fire, first generation.

2) I didn't care for the idea of e-books until I tried a Kindle. I liked that I could easily get obscure books. I chose the Kindle over the Nook because I heard good things about the Kindle's customer service, and bad things about the Nook's customer service.

3) I'm not big on features, I just want to read books. I do enjoy the text to speech feature.

4) I'd be surprised if the Fire will be bigger than the iPad, but it does represent competition.

5) Mostly from the Kindle Store, although I get some from Project Gutenberg.

6) I use Amazon because I like the Kindle. Jeff Bezos doesn't factor into it.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
  • How many Kindles have you owned, and which ones were they? 1 Kindle 3 (Keyboard)
  • What made you purchase a Kindle in the first place? Great customer service, excellent selection of books, reasonable prices
  • What features do you love most about the Kindle? Ability to put books in collections, the keyboard, dictionary look-up within the book, downloading books via wi-fi within minutes
  • Do you think that the Kindle Fire will be bigger and better than the iPad? Can't comment, haven't used either
  • Where do you download you’re e-books? Amazon.ca and Kobo.com
  • Do you have anything to say about the work of Jeff Bezos, who is the creator of Amazon and Kindle? Good job
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
This is about the 5th "I'm doing a project" I've seen in the last 6'ish months or so here at MR.
Do people think they are real? I can't see any reason WHY someone would fake this, but the little paranoid man in my head keeps telling me it can't be real.
Just wondering, don't really care THAT much
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
1) I have owned a Kindle 2, and I own a Kindle 3 and 4NT.

2) I don't live in the US, but read a lot of books in English. Used to buy plenty of books from Amazon. The possibility to buy them electronically and have them delivered wirelessly to my device was the single most important factor.

3) That I can read outdoors, but also that there is such a huge selection of books available for it.

5) About 90% are purchased from Amazon, and pretty much 100% of books in English comes from either Amazon or Amazon UK.

6) He isn't the snappiest of dressers.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
How many Kindles have you owned, and which ones were they?
I own 4 Kindles. 1 Kindle Keyboard, 2 $69 kindles and 1 Kindle Fire.

What made you purchase a Kindle in the first place?
I wanted a eReader that had a Pearl Screen. At the time that was Amazon or Sony.

What features do you love most about the Kindle?

Whispersync and Personal Documents Cloud. You can email or upload a book that is sent via WiFi to your Kindle. No other eReader has this.

Do you think that the Kindle Fire will be bigger and better than the iPad?

Not an Apple fan so to me yes the Kindle Fire is the better one.

Where do you download you’re e-books?

Amazon, Kobo, Libraries through Overdrive, Books On Board, Smashwords just to name a few.

Do you have anything to say about the work of Jeff Bezos, who is the creator of Amazon and Kindle?

Amazon has one of the best customer Service I have dealt with. I can buy with confidence knowing they will make it right. I think the guy is a genius and he just keeps making Amazon.com better and better.

Note: You would get a better response if this was posted in the Kindle Forum.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #10
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Wouldn't this get a better response in the Kindle forum?

EDIT: Like Blossom suggested?

Last edited by cromag; 12-18-2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Great Minds and all that!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Kindle Keyboard 3G and basic Kindle (more used by my DW)

No monthly fee 3G internet for text-heavy web news sites like twp.com; bigger screen than Palm PDA I used to read books on; ending of avantgo.com news service reduced value to me of Palm

I like: Integration with search.overdrive.com library borrowing; No fee 3G internet; New York Times Latest News Blog

I'm not a very visual person, so they hold little attraction. I probably won't be the last person in America to have a tablet, but could come close.

Where do you download your e-books?
Physically? From my PC. They get there from Overdrive and Project Gutenberg. I also check out the University of Chicago Press free book of the month. I buy maybe one eBook a year.

Do you have anything to say about the work of Jeff Bezos, who is the creator of Amazon and Kindle?
I don't know that it is exactly correct to say he created the Kindle, although he may have helped set up the subsidiary (Lab 126) that did.

Having one company control such a high percentage of book sales can't be good. Also, he is reportedly a union-buster (yea, I know, that's normal for an American CEO) and doesn't seem to treat people who work for him all that well. Wait until Amazon gets on this list before treating Bezos as any kind of hero. On the other side, and no snark intended in this sentence, I'm under the impression he's a good family man.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I own one. Its kindle keyboard + wi-fi.
I didn't purchase it. It was a birthday present.
Dictionary and ability to change the size of font. Plus the fact that it doesn't tire my eyes anymore then a normal book does.
No. They have different purposes. They are not even in the same league of devices.
Where do you download you’re e-books?
amazon.com
Well done chap. Blood well done.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
    Two - Kindle 3 KB WiFi and Kindle 3 KB 3G, and still waiting to received my purchased PW
    At the time I wanted to buy e-ink reader, Kindle was the only one being internationally shipped by the original company, without hassles, custom duty included and reimbursed if lesser than originally paid (and they did reimburse me for the first Kindle I bought)
    Reliability of Amazon CS, availability of books on Amazon at rather good prices, ability to return a book I don't like for whatever reason, not tiring for the eyes, interface
    Haven't used any, but I think the purposes differ
    Amazon.com, Kobobooks
    Hats off, man! I am waiting for more of this great stuff!
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #14
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
I own 1 Kindle, the K4 non-touch one, black.

I was looking to replace an older e-reader and the Kindle was the cheapest one with a good reputation available.

I like the long battery life, fast page-turns, and being able to sync wirelessly.

I don't know if the Kindle Fire will be bigger and better than the iPad. I will say that I would probably buy the former in preference to the latter, because of price among other considerations.

I download my e-books anywhere that I can get them free or cheap--the library (Overdrive), Amazon, B&N, Smashwords, lending sites, whatever. (I use blogs and forums to monitor free offers and bargains).

Jeff Bezos is some kind of scary genius business person. Comparable to people like Bill Gates who are good at seizing an opportunity, developing the technology and TAKING OVER THE WORLD.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #15
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Kindle Keyboard with 3G (I killed it *sniff*), Kindle Keyboard with WiFi, Paperwhite, and as of tomorrow a Kindle Fire 2 (WOOHOO!)

Does my telephone app count too?

Quote:
I'd been thinking about it for a while, but it wasn't until the devices were sold @ Best Buy that I purchased one. I needed the hands on experience. Otherwise I probably would've purchased a Nook. The Kindle had dropped in price so something I was willing to pay for by the 3rd Generation.

Quote:
The ability to sync between devices, and the ability to send personal documents, blogs, etc to the Kindle rather than reading on the computer, or phone. Text-to-speech on the Kindle Keyboard. That I can change the font size depending on my needs. Being able to read in the dark with the Paperwhite without an external light.

Quote:
No.

Quote:
Where do you download your e-books?
Amazon, Smashwords, eHarlequin, Overdrive

Quote:
He's made a heck o' a lot of money off of me!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote