Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Anyone else like Saki?

I have just discovered Hector Hugh Munro, a British humourist who wrote under the pen name Saki. His Chronicles of Clovis (short story collection) is available for download. Probably some of his other works are too.

His stories are highly amusing, written in a style that's reminiscent of (but which pre-dates) P. G. Wodehouse. He also has a touch of O. Henry about him, and maybe a dash of Mark Twain.

If you like short, witty, satirical stories, give Saki a try, and let me know what you think of him.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Oh yes, a wonderful author! Very, very witty.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
I completely agree. I was first introduced at school when I was 11 (more than 45 years ago, *cringe*), with the short story "The Lumber Room", which I have re-read with great enjoyment many times over the years. Once hooked, I very quickly found all of his works in the library - somewhat to the detriment of my school work at the time, I am sure.

Incidentally, the same book of short stories also contained the excellent story by E. M. Forster "The Machine Stops". A bit frightening for a youngster, but I think that my love of sci-fi came from this.

I'm still on my second version of the complete Saki (in hardback), although it is getting very tatty. The first one, a paperback, fell to pieces long ago. Now you've reminded me, I will have to try and find a complete e-version. Clovis will hold me for a while, fortunately.

snowman

Last edited by Snowman; 01-29-2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: age correction
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
A truly splendid author.

IMHO I think that "Esme" is the howlingest funny story every written.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
...written in a style that's reminiscent of (but which pre-dates) P. G. Wodehouse. He also has a touch of O. Henry about him, and maybe a dash of Mark Twain...
A list of authors who all rank very high on my list of favs along with Saki.

I was introduced to Saki at a tender age through his story "The Open Window", which remains one of my favorite short stories and one that I have read many times.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Yes, very highly recommended. Some of the Chronicles of Clovis didn't really grab me (but of course Esme is a masterpiece). His other "dark" stories like Sredni Vashtar are brilliant - and rather unsettling!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks for the reminder! I've just downloaded two of his from the MR library.

Last edited by GA Russell; 01-28-2011 at 07:03 PM.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
kurzon
Andrea K Höst
kurzon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Yes, my favourite short story ever is "Sredni Vashtar". I also like the Clovis tales.
kurzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:20 AM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Thanks for all your replies. It's good to hear Saki is so popular.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:46 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I first read him in middle school.

But your thread got me thinking, and I'm going to download something and re-read some wonderful stories that I dimly remember.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
fruiter
Connoisseur
fruiter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fruiter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fruiter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fruiter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fruiter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; WISEreader N526
I had heard of Saki some time ago in passing - he sounds very interesting now! I'll have to find what he's written and how to get his books.
fruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I think the first Saki story I read was in my English class school book. Great author, I like his humour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Incidentally, the same book of short stories also contained the excellent story by E. M. Forster "The Machine Stops". A bit frightening for a youngster, but I think that my love of sci-fi came from this.
Definitely an excellent story. And the most interesting and intelligent critical comment on the Internet (and like technologies) I've read - despite the fact that it was written in 1910.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:39 AM   #13
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
My favorite

I first read this in HS and again a few years ago. Still very scary.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Interlopers

Wait for a dark and stormy night to read it

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:31 AM   #14
Roger Manley
Roger Manley began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
A great, much under appreciated author. I was introduced to his work 55 years ago but still enjoy his writing.

Although he is thought of as quintissentialy English I think he was actually born in France.

RM
Roger Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:58 AM   #15
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
I found those on MR, downloaded them and read a couple of pages.
He sounds very nice. Thanks to all of you.

Beasts, Super-Beasts. v 1.0. 3 Sep 2007
The Chronicles of Clovis. v.1.0. 3 September 2007
Reginald in Russia and other Sketches, v1 29 Jun 2008
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote