Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
The sad story of my Sony Reader.

I'll tell you the moral of this story right up front. Whenever you ship anything of value by US Mail, use delivery confirmation.

I sold my Sony PRS-505 along with all the accessories I had collected (3 cases, charger, SD card, etc) on eBay. After I received payment, I shipped it and did not use delivery confirmation. Yes, I know-- stupid. I wish I could go back and change that.

The purchaser claims not to have received it. I have no way of knowing, but I suspect the package was taken from their doorstep as they live in an apartment. It's possible a priority package fell into a mail black hole, but I doubt it. I told them to check their post office. I checked mine. I tried to get any information I could from the buyer (like whether the "confirmed address" was correct), but they refused to respond to my emails. I filed a report with the Postmaster. Before I had even received a reply from USPS, they filed a claim with eBay and eBay refunded their money. I was therefore forced to pay eBay (and I still had to pay the eBay fees in full), who put a hold on funds from my bank via paypal.

I had (and have, I'm going to frame it, I think) a receipt showing that I shipped the package; just not a delivery confirmation. I don't really mind losing the money. What really burns me is that somebody is out their using my beloved PRS. I could have just given it away. I personally am not inclined to use eBay again, because of their handling of the whole thing, but that is not the moral of the story. As I said, the moral is... use delivery confirmation.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Also a common Scam if no POD Signature for "Addressee only".
"Who is that? I don't recognize that signature"...
UPS researches "mis-delivery" claims. USPS care less if not certified.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
UPS searches are just a sham to cover up their sloppy residential delivery practices. There was a reason we called them OOPS on a job I had.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
sorry that happened

I've personally never had a bad EBAY experience but there are plenty of stories out there.

I'd kind of be like you, I've spent so many hours with my eReaders in my hands that I feel an almost personal connection to them. When the time comes, I want them to have a good home.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
This is a mirror story of me selling my DR800 to a user here on the forum. I never ship without delivery confirmation when using the post office, but for some stupid reason I did in this instance and the package never showed up or was stolen from their door step. I hate to say this, but I sometimes wonder if things "disappear inside the post office" when delivery confirmation is not chosen.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
UPS searches are just a sham to cover up their sloppy residential delivery practices. There was a reason we called them OOPS on a job I had.
ummm it was usps, not ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
This is a mirror story of me selling my DR800 to a user here on the forum. I never ship without delivery confirmation when using the post office, but for some stupid reason I did in this instance and the package never showed up or was stolen from their door step. I hate to say this, but I sometimes wonder if things "disappear inside the post office" when delivery confirmation is not chosen.
however, interestingly enough I am told by jewelers that using the signed receipt required is the most secure way to send valuables. apparently that is the standard in the industry
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Well geez, that stinks. I totally understand how you feel about your 505. It's like we don't just sell them; we find them a good home.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Actually they aren't. I know someone who use to work in security at UPS and they sometimes did manage to track stuff down. Often, unfortunately, it was UPS employees who would steal stuff they decided was valuable by relabeling it and having the item delivered somewhere else. I suspect this happens at the post office and FedEx as well.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
...interestingly enough I am told by jewelers that using the signed receipt required is the most secure way to send valuables. apparently that is the standard in the industry
Agreed. I ordered some gold coins a few years back from Blanchard, a large US precious metals/coin dealer. Obviously I was concerned about the security of the shipment.

From their website:

"We ship your order by registered, insured U.S. mail. In our years of experience, we’ve found this to be the safest, most convenient, and most economical method available. When your order is shipped, you will receive a notification email from us, which will also contain your unique tracking USPS tracking code, linked to the U.S. Postal Service website. Due to security precautions, you’ll need to sign for the package when it’s delivered. Should you be unavailable to sign at delivery, you’ll receive a delivery notification slip that allows you to pick up your order at the nearest U.S. Post Office. Your order is fully insured and will never be left unsecured."

It's hard to imagine a business that would be more serious about the security of their shipping methods than one that ships gold coins in little boxes.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:20 AM   #10
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
This is a very sad story! As noted above, with ereaders and many other items that we have used and loved but end up selling for one reason or another, our main concern is that it find a good home. It's odd to have that kind of emotional investment in a material object, but it's how we are as human beings.

You are so right about the moral of this experience.

I try to remember constantly that largely, people are honest. Largely, people are good. Some percentage isn't, but you can't let that percentage sour you on all people.

My book is DRM-free, for instance, because I believe that MOST people will buy it at a low price rather than steal it. I am determined not to let the few people who buy it and then sell illegal copies...or give them away in mass quantities...ruin it for everyone else. I don't want to punish the majority for the acts of the minority.

I've made a number of transactions on eBay and my experience is largely positive. I honestly represent the item, the buyer pays me, and I send it promptly with uber-packaging to make sure it arrives intact. We have a social contract to deal with each other honestly. Still, I stopped dealing with eBay and PayPal because of their draconian withholding of payment when both parties were 100% satisfied with the transaction!

I would take it on faith that your ereader never reached the intended recipient. I'm so very sorry that things worked out poorly for you! It's too bad that a few rotten apples spoil things for the rest of us.

Jan
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:23 AM   #11
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsquash View Post
Agreed. I ordered some gold coins a few years back from Blanchard, a large US precious metals/coin dealer. Obviously I was concerned about the security of the shipment.

From their website:

"We ship your order by registered, insured U.S. mail. In our years of experience, we’ve found this to be the safest, most convenient, and most economical method available. When your order is shipped, you will receive a notification email from us, which will also contain your unique tracking USPS tracking code, linked to the U.S. Postal Service website. Due to security precautions, you’ll need to sign for the package when it’s delivered. Should you be unavailable to sign at delivery, you’ll receive a delivery notification slip that allows you to pick up your order at the nearest U.S. Post Office. Your order is fully insured and will never be left unsecured."

It's hard to imagine a business that would be more serious about the security of their shipping methods than one that ships gold coins in little boxes.
Registered is absolutely the safest. I've been told that anytime the package is handled by USPS it's scanned, and that when it's in the USPS facilities it's always in a camera/recorded room.

For FeeBay, I've found Signature Confirmation to be the way that protects me from FeeBay and PayFoe buyer protection scams. Of course nothing protects me from a buyer sending back an empty box or a counterfeit item...which did happen once.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you have a proof of postage receipt, can you not claim your costs back from the post office in the event of non-delivery?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:53 AM   #13
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you have a proof of postage receipt, can you not claim your costs back from the post office in the event of non-delivery?
That depends on the country I think. I Australian, unless you insure the shipment, they will only refund the statutory amount (not much more than the postage you paid).
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
With Royal Mail you can claim up to about £40 without specific insurance; I was wondering if a similar thing was true with the US Post Office. I understand, though, that all that the original poster is "down" are the eBay fees + shipping; not the cost of the actual item.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #15
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I don't know if I could get my postage back or not. Honestly, it's not worth it to me to stand in the line to find out. As I said, it wasn't really about the money. I was pretty upset, but I have to say I feel quite a bit better about it now that I've vented. Thanks guys.

Last edited by HistoryWes; 10-06-2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Too wordy.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery confirmation, ebay, prs-505, sony