Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-10-2015, 10:59 AM   #22906
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I finished Indemnity Only by Sara Paretsky last night, the first VI Warshawski book. I enjoyed it. Very much in the Private Eye tradition, and good fun.
Paretsky is one of the few authors whom I'll buy without blinking, and the only one in the mystery/suspense genre I treat that way.

Unfortunately, I'm a little behind... I think I may be four or five books behind in the V. I. Warshawski series... and they're all in dead-tree format spread throughout my storage barn (with one notable exception-- Burn Marks is in the bathroom, where Dngrswife left it).

I was on a road-trip for work yesterday, so I am currently five chapters in to Skinbrain, and enjoying it so far.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #22907
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I completed reading Veiled and, as always, liked Jacka's work a lot.

Next I'll get back to reading Away With The Fairies.
Well I didn't get back to reading Away With The Fairies but instead read a newly released novella called Redeye by G. Norman Lippert. It proved to be a fun and exciting reading experience! Lippert is the author who has written 4 Harry Potter U'verse based novels (they're free ebooks, with a 5th one still in development) about Harry's son James. He's also just released a novel called The Freezing Season which I plan to read either next or very soon.

Last edited by alansplace; 10-11-2015 at 08:52 PM. Reason: oops!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2015, 08:48 PM   #22908
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Well I didn't get back to reading Away With The Fairies but instead read a newly released novella called Redeye by G. Norman Lippert. It proved to be a fun and exciting reading experience! Lippert is the author who has written 4 Harry Potter U'verse based novels (they're free ebooks, with a 5th one still in development) about Harry's son James. He's also just released a novel called The Freezing Season which I plan to read either next or very soon.

Well I ended up beginning to read Lippert's new novel, The Freezing Season next and am 30% into it already!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:50 PM   #22909
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Not reading any fiction books atm, although listening to the "Dresden files" autio books when commuting.

Reading-wise, I've been immersed in reading Java-ee books (for migrating my programming skills to in my day job) and a development package called "Marmalade" which I'll be using for some Android and IOS apps on my own time with some associates.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:07 AM   #22910
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished Skinbrain (Cerebrodermis Fantastica), another very fine hard sci-fi novel by Stephen Euin Cobb. He has a third book, which I will buy shortly... thinking about revisiting my V.I. Warshawski books, or perhaps picking up one of Kathy Reichs books.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2015, 08:21 AM   #22911
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Also reading The Long Mars by Baxter & Pratchett. It seems a bit more disjoint that the earlier books. Or perhaps it's me.
I was a bit disappointed with this book. It seems a bit incoherent in the first few chapters, jumping around the timeline of the story in an unnecessary and confusing manner. It did eventually settle down and tell a bit of story, but I wasn't happy with some of the characters - they seemed very unbelievable.

I probably will get the next (& final?) volume, but not for a while.

Next up: Onward Drake! - a collection of stories to honour David Drake, and including two new stories by David himself. Most enjoyable so far.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #22912
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "When the Devil Dances", the third book in the "Posleen War" series by John Ringo. I bought this from Baen in 2002. This was the time at which Ringo was still writing enjoyable military SF rather than political diatribes, and I really enjoyed re-reading this.

I note that I am now on 105 books for the year, so I'm met my target of reading 100 books a few months early. I don't appear to be catching up on the Baen books, though; I've only gained about 3 months on my Bae backlist reading this year, and given that I'm 13 years behind, I've got a lot of catching up to do .

Last edited by HarryT; 10-12-2015 at 08:29 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:32 AM   #22913
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Well I finished 'The Masquerading Magician by Gigi Pandian' which was excellent.
I then read the latest Mrs Pargeter novel - Mrs Pargeter's Principle by Simon Brett - a good undemanding continuation of the series.

I have now started Iced by M Terry Green which is almost immediately absorbing me - probably not a good idea to start it at work
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #22914
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort1997 View Post
I then read the latest Mrs Pargeter novel - Mrs Pargeter's Principle by Simon Brett - a good undemanding continuation of the series.
That's on my list, too, but not at the current £10.49 Amazon UK price tag . I shall wait for the paperback release and then buy the ebook at a more reasonable price.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:57 AM   #22915
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's on my list, too, but not at the current £10.49 Amazon UK price tag . I shall wait for the paperback release and then buy the ebook at a more reasonable price.
I cheated and got the dead tree version from the library - free!
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:02 AM   #22916
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort1997 View Post
I cheated and got the dead tree version from the library - free!
Excellent idea!
Old 10-12-2015, 07:33 PM   #22917
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Personal by Lee Child and it was a typically good Jack Reacher read. Next up, Steve Jobs by Walter Issacsin. Gotta read it before seeing the film.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:47 AM   #22918
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just finished a very unusual and worthwhile thriller: "Finding Davey" by Jonathan Gash (best known as the author of the "Lovejoy" series). When a young British boy is abducted while on holiday with his parents in the US, and the police get nowhere in tracking down his abductors, his grandfather decides to try to find him using a very unusual method. Davey used to invent stories about a fantasy world with his grandfather, and so his grandfather sets out to publish these stories as children's books, and then set a competition in which only Davey will know the correct answers.

Excellent, but I should warn that one of the characters in the books is an astoundingly foul-mouthed teenage girl, so don't read this if bad language is likely to cause offence.

Very highly recommended.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #22919
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just finished a very unusual and worthwhile thriller: "Finding Davey" by Jonathan Gash (best known as the author of the "Lovejoy" series). When a young British boy is abducted while on holiday with his parents in the US, and the police get nowhere in tracking down his abductors, his grandfather decides to try to find him using a very unusual method. Davey used to invent stories about a fantasy world with his grandfather, and so his grandfather sets out to publish these stories as children's books, and then set a competition in which only Davey will know the correct answers.

Excellent, but I should warn that one of the characters in the books is an astoundingly foul-mouthed teenage girl, so don't read this if bad language is likely to cause offence.

Very highly recommended.
Sounds interesting, but not available in the US.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #22920
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What a nuisance. It really is an excellent book.