Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you be upgrading to the Paperwhite II proposed below?
Yes. Upgrading from Paperwhite. 17 22.67%
Yes. Upgrading from and old reader, or different brand. 7 9.33%
No. Have Paperwhite already. Not enough improvement. 44 58.67%
No. I haven't got a PW, but will wait until my reader breaks. 7 9.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #31
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
While the Paperwhite is good, I can readily point to any number of functions or features that other readers have. One major one would be all the font options the Kobo readers support. If they would fix their buggy firmware and stop wasting screen space by the square foot, I'd seriously consider one of their readers in the future.
Quite obviously they mistakenly thought I was talking about hardware when I was referring to firmware that is lackluster to say the least. I stand by my comment that Sony, B&N, and Amazon have never produced any eInk reader nor any reader app that has decent text formatting options.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #32
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Maybe if there's longer battery life. I carry my Paperwhite with me all the time, so I'm needing to recharge it more often than I sometimes remember. Otherwise, the features are fine for me.

I have a K1 (retired but not deactivated), a DX (orig), a K3, and KFire (orig), along with the Paperwhite. Hardest part is constantly fighting muscle memory because all the controls are different in every one.

I do miss the SD of the K1, and the audio of the K3, but I'm guessing those are unlikely to be added back in.

Not sure how much longer I'll keep updating the hardware, though, since right now the only real bennies are twelve no-pay book borrowings a year, and I often read on an iPad or a Galaxy 10.1.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #33
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio717 View Post
Maybe if there's longer battery life. I carry my Paperwhite with me all the time, so I'm needing to recharge it more often than I sometimes remember.
How much do you read then, with the light at what setting?

I plug my phone's charger into the PW at some random night before going to bed, maybe once every two weeks, and I read and read without it ever becoming empty.

Actually, I even haven't seen the "Low battery" screen, ever.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #34
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
So you are honestly happy that the PW has such a few selectable fonts, few margin choices, few line spacing choices, and basically little control of the text? I seriously doubt it.
Me, I don't pay any attention to any of these items. There has to be a really serious formatting problem for me to bother changing any of the publisher's defaults.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #35
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool non-issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Me, I don't pay any attention to any of these items. There has to be a really serious formatting problem for me to bother changing any of the publisher's defaults.
Yep, me too! For me they are all non-issues.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #36
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My KPW doesn't either. Let's not start that discussion again.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #37
Kiasmama
Kiasmama began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
I started e-reading with the Sony Daily Edition ( I think that is what it was called lol) and just bought the PW a few weeks ago so I'm set for another few years. I'm just reading on it so I will be fine.
Kiasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #38
Yamada
Enthusiast
Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad; K1/2/DX; Some Sony thing I bought at Yodobashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
At what point is an e-reader 'good enough'? Especially if what you do is read on it. I could see some software improvements (these I am currently dealing with by hacks), but as far as the physical reading experience I am extremely content. Screen resolution is better than my eyes can appreciate, the front light on mine works great. There is enough memory for more books than I can read in several years and the physical size and weight are about perfect for me. Nope, don't see me buying another reader for quite a while.
Oh God, this. I understand the passion of wanting the "best" device you can get, having preferences, etc., but at the end of the day it's an electronic reader to you know, read stuff on.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing inherently bad with being a gadget freak. All the fussing over minor things about individual e-readers some times begs the question - "do you actually enjoy reading?"
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #39
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamada View Post
Oh God, this.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:11 AM   #40
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamada View Post
Oh God, this. I understand the passion of wanting the "best" device you can get, having preferences, etc., but at the end of the day it's an electronic reader to you know, read stuff on.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing inherently bad with being a gadget freak. All the fussing over minor things about individual e-readers some times begs the question - "do you actually enjoy reading?"
But there's a small, teensy-weensy problem.

If a book has a bad print, or huge margins or sucky font, then you just read the book (or not), and move on to the next one, which will have different print, margins and fonts.

In case of an e-reader, if it cannot be set to what you prefer most, then it will irk you *each and every book you read*. And then, you'll not enjoy reading.

Honestly, I've created my own (fat) version of Deja Vu Serif which I now use on the Paperwhite. I can't even think of going back to one of the Kindle's fonts. They are ALL wrong now. Too thin (Baskerville), too fat (Helvetica), too wide (Caecilia), too much spacing (Palatino)...

If it was at all possible, I'd much prefer a reader that's a combination between a KPW and a Kobo Glo: The firmware stability of the KPW, but with the features of the Glo.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:51 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
So you are honestly happy that the PW has such a few selectable fonts, few margin choices, few line spacing choices, and basically little control of the text? I seriously doubt it.
Doubt it all you want, but it's true . I never change font, margin, or line spacing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #42
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
I'm quite happy too.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #43
jemc
Quietly Lurking...
jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iDevices, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Doubt it all you want, but it's true . I never change font, margin, or line spacing.
Same here. And I'm perfectly happy with my PW as well.
jemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #44
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool I never change any of them

Quote:
Yep, me too!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #45
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Ditto!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote