Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-18-2011, 12:31 AM   #16
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Mercedes Lackey has a series of books entitled "Tales Of The Five Hundred Kingdoms." They are basically common fairy tales retold as fantasies and they severely twisted.

One of my favorites is "One Good Night." Don't want to spoil it, but let's just say I laughed out loud at what the dragons were really doing with the virgins.

I second the recommendation of Blue Moon Rising and Beyond the Blue Moon, By Simon R Green. Very funny without going totally campy.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #17
kdgarris
Connoisseur
kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Wow, lots of suggestions to choose from! I just finished Wizard's Bane, and enjoyed it. I've read a couple of the Discworld books, but not most of them. I have read all of the Callahan books, and loved them, too. The Hitchhiker's "trilogy" is an all-time favorite. I haven't read the Spellsinger series, but have enjoyed the Flinx books from the same author in the past.

Thanks everyone!
kdgarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #18
AlanParr
AlanParr began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Pratchett Rocks

I love the Discworld series and highly recommend them. An old classic, too, is the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Grant Naylor's Red Dwarf series is great if you like SF.

I'm working on my own light-hearted SF/Fantasy ebook right now, hope to have it released next week. Not going to toot my own horn here, anyone interested can contact me.
AlanParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #19
fantasyISbetter
FantasyisBetter
fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I second recommendation for Terry Pratchett- he is funny, cheering. Also Jasper Fforde, but he is more literate and takes more effort.
I also recommend (w lst in series):
Christopher Moore - Practical Demonkeeping
Steven Brust- The Phoenix Guards or any Vlad Taltos book
Neil Gaiman- e.g. Stardust
Charles De Lint- most of his books are fairly light
Liz Williams- The Snake Agent
Connie Willis- any of the time travel books besides The Doomsday Book (which is fab but not lighthearted)
fantasyISbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #20
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I 2nd or 3rd The Rachel Morgan / Hollows series, Christopher Moore's Practical Demonkeeping, and The Wiz books.

Quite a few of the other suggestions are on my TBR list including the Discworld series (of which I've only read the first 2), the Dresden Files series, and the Tales Of The Five Hundred Kingdoms series by Mercedes Lackey.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #21
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
How about The Name of the Wind/The Wise Man's Fear?

The third book isn't out yet... but those two were pretty good fantasy books - certainly on the lighter side.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #22
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
I'll add another vote for David Edding's Belgariad series. It's a light, quick read, with plenty of humour and fun.

I'll also add a vote for the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. I'm in the middle of this series and have been racing through them. Lots of humour, quick pace, very enjoyable read.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:29 AM   #23
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
while i love the dresden files, i wouldn't call it light hearted, even there is a lot of witty repartee thrown about.
I'd agree. In fact, I thought the Dresden Files grew progressively darker as the series went on. Same with the Kim Harrison series. Yes, there's humor in both of them. But I wouldn't call either "light-hearted" fantasy.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:26 AM   #24
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
- Here are a few series I've read that fit the topic :

Brittain, C. Dale - Wizard of Yurt (funny wizardry)
Gardner, Craig Shaw - Ebenezum (funny wizardry)
McGirt, Dan - Jason Cosmo (hero questing)
Mills, KE - Rogue Agent (funny wizardry)
About half of Tom Holt his works (add magic to the real world), example: expecting someone taller

- And then there are series written for kids but which I really enjoyed:

Nix, Garth - Keys to the Kingdom (adventures)
Nix, Garth - The Seventh Tower (adventures)
Neff, Henry H - Tapestry (magic school + adventures)

- For reference: the series I've (partially) read and already named in this thread (all but the last two I'd recommend):

Xanth books
"Magic Kingdom for Sale" series by Terry Brooks
Robert Asprin's Myth
Cook, Rick - Wizardry
Tales Of The Five Hundred Kingdoms (reading them now and like them, thanks for the rec.)
hitchhiker's trilogy
Dresden by Jim Butcher
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #25
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
L. Sprague de Camp sort of pioneered this, IMHO. The Reluctant King trilogy is probably the best, but also the Harold Shea Enchanters series. And his Krishna series (which is more planetary romance, which is basically fantasy without the magic).

None of which seems to be available in e-book form.

Actually, speaking of planetary romance, you might like Gordon Dickson's "The Right to Arm Bears", which is nothing like the title, but deals with somewhat comic adventures on a world full of talking bears
De Camp was truly great, sort of "Twighlight Zone" storytelling. A lot of the Old Masters didn't age well (Asimov), but de Camp's stuff is still good.

You MUST read Discworld.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:28 AM   #26
tswan
tswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura abouttswan has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-T1
3 of my favorite series are The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, The Belgariad By David Eddings and The Garrett Files by Glen Cook. Looks like they've all been mentioned previously. My wife, son and I all enjoyed Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympiads also, if all you're looking for is some light-hearted fantasy.
tswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:11 AM   #27
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I have been reading the Apocalypto books lately, I guess they are a combination Fantasy, Science Fiction, Romance. The first two books are around 100 pages each, nothing to heavy in them, they are fun quick reads.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #28
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
You might try Jim Hines' goblin books.

I believe the first one is Goblin Quest. It's a spoof on role-playing campaigns, complete with a character who feels compelled to map out the entire dungeon as they traverse it, but its also an engaging story in its own right. And the protagonist has a pet fire-spider.

Last edited by Nancy Fulda; 08-27-2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: typo
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdgarris View Post
Just like the title suggests, I'm looking for a good light-hearted fantasy book or series to delve into. It doesn't have to be traditional fantasy; modern or mixed with elements of sci-fi is fun, too.
The Thraxas series by Martin Scott (Martin Millar)

The Chicks in Chainmail series edited by Esther Friesner. (Chicks Ahoy is the first in the series — an omnibus of Chicks in Chainmail, Did You Say Chicks?, and Chicks 'n' Chained Males.)

Billibub Baddings and the case of the Singing Sword by Tee Morris.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #30
Lizzie in Ma
Connoisseur
Lizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to all

Device: Nook, Kindle 3, Vizio 8" tablet runn and Samsung Galaxy running Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwimick View Post
Also agree the Belgariad series by Davis Eddings
you also might like to try the Spellsinger series by Alan Dean Foster
Mike
love both of those
Reading "The Iron Druid Chronicles" at the moment, they are semi humorous so far.
Dresden Files always make me laugh though not quite in the same genre.
Lizzie in Ma is offline   Reply With Quote