Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #196
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Just a friendly reminder. While sideloading a new update package might work just fine when you do it, sometimes it will not work and might result in undesirable behaviour. I recommend waiting for the update to be made available to your unit.

Sideload new updates at your own risk
I understand the reasons why Kobo does not give the timetable for the rollout of new firmware but it would be helpful if it could be annonced when a rollout is complete.

This would perhaps mean that fewer people logging on to see if the latest version of firmware was available in their area.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #197
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
I understand the reasons why Kobo does not give the timetable for the rollout of new firmware
You do? You're a better man than I, Gunga-Din.
My experience of software change release is when the changes are finished and have been satisfactorily tested in-house, you publish a schedule of changes together with a release timetable in advance to those impacted by it. I cannot see why this simple courtesy shouldn't extend to Kobo customers.
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #198
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Zoom/rotate images in kepubs

I just noticed that I can zoom and rotate images in my kepubs. Is this new in 2.4.0 or did I just not notice it before?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #199
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I thought I could pinch and zoom too, but my eyes were deceiving me.

Last edited by GeoffR; 02-20-2013 at 01:48 PM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #200
jclim00
Nameless Being

So I finally was able to get the update via wifi sync for my Kobo Glo. Problem now is that it seems to be frozen. It's at downloading software 100% at the top of the screen and not responding to anything. I doubt my battery's run out, it was at 50% when I updated, and the light is still active. Been like this for maybe 10 min, what should I do?

Edit: Never mind, found the pinhole reset at the bottom, update went through the second time.

Last edited by jclim00; 02-20-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #201
lkodk
Connoisseur
lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: PRS-505 + PRS-600 + PRS-T1 + Kobo Glo
2.4.0 available here as well. Upgrade went fine.
Now, don't really know what to look for. Because I must admit, in the 6 days I was on 2.3.1, I for some reason didn't experience any issues.

And I thought my Glo would blow up when I accidentally installed 2.3.1
lkodk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #202
jclim00
Nameless Being

Does the touchscreen seem more responsive or is it a placebo effect?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #203
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
Home Screen

I have updated (side loaded) two touches and one Glo from 2.1.5 to 2.4. Another new Glo was side loaded from factory firmware to 2.4. then synced. All books are on MSD cards.
I have the same two problem on all four units.

1. On starting all readers boot to the home screen message "your library is empty add a book" and stays there. Tapping Reading (even though it is on reading) brings up the home screen and the five covers which take some time to load. I get the double flash on the home screen on boot which used to load the reading covers on 2.1.5.

2. All covers on all four units now have white bars down the sides. I never get the high definition full screen covers now. Also, even though the images folder has all the required images the Library images all load slowly, one at a time all the time.

This seems to be a retrograde on the covers compared to 2.1.5, which I may revert to yet again.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #204
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I just noticed that I can zoom and rotate images in my kepubs. Is this new in 2.4.0 or did I just not notice it before?
It has been there a while. Definitely in 2.1.4, I don't know about earlier. But, the only time I notice it is with the cover. I think it only works for images that are the only thing on the screen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #205
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It has been there a while. Definitely in 2.1.4, I don't know about earlier. But, the only time I notice it is with the cover. I think it only works for images that are the only thing on the screen.
You're right David. I was thinking there was some little trick with that, and that's what it is. I just checked in a book with maps and one map where it is the only thing on the page is zoomable, but if there is also text on the page it's not.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #206
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Currently upgrading over wi-fi. Downloading Software is at 75%. Wish me luck...
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #207
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I'm with ottdmk - "downloading software 40%" - wish us luck!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #208
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconh View Post
This seems to be a retrograde on the covers compared to 2.1.5, which I may revert to yet again.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
If you do not sync your reader with Kobo cloud, I would revert to 2.1.5. Other than Series info (which might be a killer feature for some people, despite the limitations of current implementation,) all the newer firmwares only seem to introduce new bugs.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #209
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconh View Post
1. On starting all readers boot to the home screen message "your library is empty add a book" and stays there. Tapping Reading (even though it is on reading) brings up the home screen and the five covers which take some time to load. I get the double flash on the home screen on boot which used to load the reading covers on 2.1.5.
I have seen that a couple of times as I have changed firmware. The first time it scared me, but I just had to do something to refresh the home page, I stopped worrying.
Quote:
2. All covers on all four units now have white bars down the sides. I never get the high definition full screen covers now. Also, even though the images folder has all the required images the Library images all load slowly, one at a time all the time.

For the recent firmware, the cover images for books on the SD card are generated on the fly each time they are needed. They are no longer stored in the main memory. And any cover images stored for them will be ignored.

The white bars down the side are probably because of how the images are generated. The device is using the first page of the book as the cover. That means if the cover image in the book does not fill the page, there will be empty stripes down the side. And the generation is done with the settings you use for reading the book. If you have non-zero margins set in you reader settings, these will be used. This is how it has been done for all firmware versions.

The only thing I can think of for "high definition full screen covers" is that you are using calibre to send the covers to the device. I don't think the driver sends the covers when sending the books to the SD card, but if it does, they will be ignored. I'll have to check what the driver does and fix it if needed.

I thought the SD card and cover related changes started with 2.1.4, but it might have been 2.2.0.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #210
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
If you do not sync your reader with Kobo cloud, I would revert to 2.1.5. Other than Series info (which might be a killer feature for some people, despite the limitations of current implementation,) all the newer firmwares only seem to introduce new bugs.
Thank you for reminding me to curb my enthusiasm for the new and improved firmware.
I have reverted the two touches and two Gloes to 2.1.5 yet again. ALL is now back to normal with my home screens and the covers are again full screen.

How four different readers can get identically screwed up with an update is ....... scary.
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote