Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2014, 03:54 AM   #1021
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I miss page rotation (landscape) in ePubs, in the Aura.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:28 PM   #1022
Snow Sciles
Connoisseur
Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STG, PW2
I'm in the process of transitioning from the Nook STG to the Kobo Aura. The two things that jump out at me that I already miss, and would like to see in the Aura.

1) The ability to have personal screensavers. Not everyone wants to use book covers, or even has books with covers. The way Nook handles this is very good. Create a folder, fill it with png/jpg files, and the nook will cycle through the pics during sleep. You can have many folders.

2) Sub-collections!!!! Please, this is a must for library management. It's great that Kobo has a 4gb capacity, (it's partly way I moved over after Nook reduced its memory), but the management needs to match that. The one level is inadequate, Kobo needs to make up for not having folder structure. In fact sub-collections would be even better than a folder structure.

If Nook continues to falter, you stand to gain some customers.

Last edited by Snow Sciles; 07-11-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Snow Sciles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #1023
Mad Beer Oil
Mad Beer Oil began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
After using highlights more extensively I noticed that it is sometimes really hard to properly mark what you want to highlight, particularly when the beginning or the ending of the highlight is at the border of the e-reader.

My suggestion is the addition of a small panel with six buttons, when a marker is selected, the panel appears. The six buttons are the following:
  • move marker one line back
  • move marker one word back
  • move marker one sign back
  • move marker one sign forward
  • move marker one word forward
  • move marker one line forward

Here is a mockup I made for the panel, the second design includes an optional "Save Highlight" button in the middle.

I really hope my suggestion gets implemented, as highlighting currently is very frustrating at times
Mad Beer Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:18 PM   #1024
hoichi
male solipsist pig
hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch→Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Beer Oil View Post
After using highlights more extensively I noticed that it is sometimes really hard to properly mark what you want to highlight, particularly when the beginning or the ending of the highlight is at the border of the e-reader.

My suggestion is the addition of a small panel with six buttons, when a marker is selected, the panel appears. The six buttons are the following:
  • move marker one line back
  • move marker one word back
  • move marker one sign back
  • move marker one sign forward
  • move marker one word forward
  • move marker one line forward

I really hope my suggestion gets implemented, as highlighting currently is very frustrating at times
I second that. I highlight a lot and it is pretty frustrating and time-consuming.
I wish touch highlighting would be more fluid and less glitchy anyway, but barring that, buttons would help too.
hoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:18 AM   #1025
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Sciles View Post
2) Sub-collections!!!! Please, this is a must for library management. It's great that Kobo has a 4gb capacity, (it's partly way I moved over after Nook reduced its memory), but the management needs to match that. The one level is inadequate, Kobo needs to make up for not having folder structure. In fact sub-collections would be even better than a folder structure.

Kobo can't even handle collections. Multiple repeated collections, and every sync messes them up again...Sub-collections? They'd really screw that up.
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #1026
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by selina4books View Post
Kobo can't even handle collections. Multiple repeated collections, and every sync messes them up again...Sub-collections? They'd really screw that up.
To make it worse, Kobo's cloud seems to spontaneously regenerate collections every so often. The only solution I've found to keeping things straight is to either not sync or use the following steps just before you do:

1. Use one of the apps to manually delete the bad shelves in the cloud.
2. If you use more that one app - say, the iOS app and Desktop - do that in all the apps. Repeat until they all show the same clean set of shelves.
3. Use the device's interface to delete any unwanted shelves from there.
4. Back up the database on your device. Just in case.
5. Use an SQLite editor to set every shelf in the database to "yes" in its update field.
6. Cross your fingers and sync.

No, it's not easy, and Kobo should make it easier. A simple settings box to control shelf syncing would go a long way.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:59 PM   #1027
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
To make it worse, Kobo's cloud seems to spontaneously regenerate collections every so often.
If you look at the timestamps, it's actually reviving deleted shelves.
Quote:
The only solution I've found to keeping things straight is to either not sync or use the following steps just before you do:

1. Use one of the apps to manually delete the bad shelves in the cloud.
2. If you use more that one app - say, the iOS app and Desktop - do that in all the apps. Repeat until they all show the same clean set of shelves.
3. Use the device's interface to delete any unwanted shelves from there.
4. Back up the database on your device. Just in case.
5. Use an SQLite editor to set every shelf in the database to "yes" in its update field.
6. Cross your fingers and sync.
Marking them as deleted in the database and doing a sync should work. I think it works OK when there are only a few duplicates. But, the more duplicates the more confused the server gets.
Quote:
No, it's not easy, and Kobo should make it easier. A simple settings box to control shelf syncing would go a long way.
Adding "SyncShelves=false" to the "ApplicationSettings" section of the config file does this. But yes, configuring what can be synced would be nuce.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:07 PM   #1028
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you look at the timestamps, it's actually reviving deleted shelves.
I'm looking at the cloud via the iOS app interface. No timestamps available, and I haven't synced my Glo in six months. The only other variable is the desktop software, which I've had to launch to get a couple of kepub-only books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor
Marking them as deleted in the database and doing a sync should work. I think it works OK when there are only a few duplicates. But, the more duplicates the more confused the server gets.
Even if I wanted to do that, these shelves aren't in my device's database. I don't mean they don't show in the GUI; I mean they're not in the SQLite table when I look at it directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor
Adding "SyncShelves=false" to the "ApplicationSettings" section of the config file does this. But yes, configuring what can be synced would be nuce.
I'll make a note of that. Any idea how to do it on the Windows desktop software or the iOS app?
Old 07-18-2014, 11:59 PM   #1029
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I'm looking at the cloud via the iOS app interface. No timestamps available, and I haven't synced my Glo in six months. The only other variable is the desktop software, which I've had to launch to get a couple of kepub-only books.

Even if I wanted to do that, these shelves aren't in my device's database. I don't mean they don't show in the GUI; I mean they're not in the SQLite table when I look at it directly.

I'll make a note of that. Any idea how to do it on the Windows desktop software or the iOS app?
I have no idea for the iOS app, or the Android for that matter. But, the iOS app doesn't seem to show duplicates.

For the desktop, I just looked at my database and it has 4444 shelves. And no way to display them. There is a "Kobo eReader.conf" in the "Kobo" directory, but it is empty. But, there are entries in the Windows registry that match the file on the devices. Adding an entry for "SyncShelves" under that should work. The key is "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\ApplicationPreferences"
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #1030
HaoZeke
Enthusiast
HaoZeke began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Firmware Suggestions!!

A better, decent, respectable file manager along with an improved browser with more settings. (eg. choose where downloaded files go)
Alternatively I wonder if anyone knows how to get a browser incorporated in the kobolauncher (not part of the firmware obviously )
HaoZeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #1031
Marc66
Marc66 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Author's autograph

Hello,

This is the only thing that I miss about books is not having an autographed copy.

Would be nice to bring your eReader and have a digital signature from your favourite author at book signing tours.

Marc
Marc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #1032
ebrahimpak
Zealot
ebrahimpak began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD / Kobo Aura ONE
A decent PDF reader for god sake. That's we all need.
ebrahimpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #1033
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc66 View Post
This is the only thing that I miss about books is not having an autographed copy.

Would be nice to bring your eReader and have a digital signature from your favourite author at book signing tours.
I don't miss that; I've got several signed ebooks. Latest addition was David Drake's RCN and The General series.

I use a sketchbook app on my iPad mini to get the autograph, then couple that with a page template to insert it into the book. I add that to the spine right after the title page, tweak the title and description in the OPF file to reflect that it's signed and when/where I got the signature, and I'm set.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:51 AM   #1034
nicolacdnll
nicolacdnll began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi everyone,

I started to use my kobo to read files of few pages (around 20 each) so every time that I end one, each 10 mins, I'm back in the home and I have to go in "My Collections" reach the page where the following file is and open it.

This breaks the reading experience; hence, my suggestion is to implement an option inside the collections, that, for a chosen collection, let you go to the next file in the collection once you ended reading one. Fo the sorting criteria I would suggest to use the criteria that the user is using for the collection itself.

Nicola
nicolacdnll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:17 AM   #1035
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
A great improvement would be the possibility to tap on an image in any epub to open a maximized version of the image in a separate window.

I had often the case that illustrations are very small and unreadable.
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo