Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
RavenZwei
RavenZwei began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-30
PRS-300 not recognized by Calibre

I just recently bought my PRS-300, so I am kind of new to this. When I originally bought it, I installed the Sony Library Software, but disliked it almost immediately. I search around the internet and came across Calibre, which seemed to do exactly what I want.

I installed it, but have been unable to get the software to recognize my reader. I once again turned to the internet, but was unable to come up with any concrete information about the 300. I would be eternally grateful if someone could help me out here.
RavenZwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Are you sure it is not being recognised? It is quite likely that it appears but as another Sony model with which it shares the device ID value.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
Unkle Bob
Unkle Bob began at the beginning.

Device: sony 300
We aren't going to be able to help you much as you didn't give us any info such as symptoms, error messages, etc to go on. I have the Sony 600 and Calibre works great for me.
Offhand, the only thing I can think of is to make sure you are closing down Sony Reader Library before you bring up Calibre. Calibre cannot transfer stuff if Sony Reader Library is up. This is mentioned in the Calibre instructions.

Whether or not Sony or Calibre are up you should see USB drive letters on your computer when you plug your 300 into a usb on your computer. Your 300 mounts Removable Storage Devices (usb drives), one of which is where the books download from Sony through and transfer through from Calibre to your physical book reader device. In my attachment you can see that my 600 mounted 4 drives: I, J, L and Installer for Reader. You will probably only have 2 drives, as my 600 mounts a drive for each of the 2 card media slots. If you don't see drives then your problem is bigger than Calibre. If you do, then make sure Sony Reader Library is shut down and only then bring up Calibre.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Drives.doc (69.5 KB, 308 views)
Unkle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
RavenZwei

The 300 is showing up under my computer as a removable disk. I have Sony Library closed and when I click on "Send to Device" on Calibre, I get "Cannot Send: No Device Connected". This is that's I get when I copy the error to the clipboard:

ERROR: No device: Cannot send: No device is connected

I'm running the latest version of Calibre (0.6.29). As I said, I only just installed Calibre. I read the user manual, and it said that it should detect my reader when I plug it in, but it does not. I also did some searching on the internet, and it said something about making the drivers for the reader connect to Calibre, but I couldn't quite figure out how I was suppose to do that.

Anyway, I think that's about all I have regarding my problem. I hope I can figure it out, lol.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
Unkle Bob

Wish I could help

I am running windows xp with the latest updates installed. When Calibre starts I get a balloon above the Calibre icon on the windows task bar saying it detected my Sony reader touch edition (600). I did not have to load any drivers or anything, it just worked right off the bat. I hope someone out there has the tech knowledge or experience to help you.
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
Unkle Bob

Uninstall, Delete Folder and ReInstall?

Have you tried uninstalling Calibre, deleting the Calibre directory and then reinstalling it? The link below is one you may have seen. It goes into uninstalling the drivers, which is the kind of thing that is a little scary and confusing if you have never done it before.

http://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows
Old 12-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Goto Preferences->Advanced in calibre and click the "debug device detection" button (make sure your reader is connected first)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #8
RavenZwei

Sorry for the late reply, things have been hectic for me. Here's what happens when I run the "Debug Device Detection" button:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\config\device_debug. py", line 41, in debug
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\__init__.py", line 49, in debug
File "site-packages\wmi.py", line 169, in <module>
File "site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py", line 73, in GetObject
File "site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py", line 88, in Moniker
com_error: (-2147217407, 'OLE error 0x80041001', None, None)
Old 01-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try the build linked to here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&highlight=wmi
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:16 AM   #10
Sullivan
Connoisseur
Sullivan began at the beginning.

Device: none
I confirm the link offered by kovidgoyal worked for me on a friend's 300. Thank you!
Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote