Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-12-2009, 05:39 AM   #1
FraPe
Enthusiast
FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-300, PRS-950 and Archos 9
Strange Blanks in words in .epub in Sigil

Hello,

I am new with creating .epub Documents. I create .epub Documents with
calibre 0.6.20 out from .rtf Documents. This works fine but it needs some
manual corrections.

I tried to do this with sigil but I get strange results. Opening the .epub with
the sony library software seems to be okay but with sigil I get a lot of blanks
into the words of the file. If I save the document then the blanks are included
in the document.

I think the problem is the scaling of the font size - I get the same problem
with calibre if I use the fontscaling there.

Is there a possibility to switch off the scaling of the font size in sigil?
What else can I do?

Enclosed you can find screenshots showing my problem.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Regards, Franz Peter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before_Sigil.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	38932   Click image for larger version

Name:	With_and_after_Sigil.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	38933  
FraPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It sounds to me like there are some odd invisible characters in your source document.

Posting the pre and post-sigl ePubs would allow a diagnosis, by looking at the code.

Or you could look at the code yourself in Sigil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraPe View Post
Hello,

I am new with creating .epub Documents. I create .epub Documents with
calibre 0.6.20 out from .rtf Documents. This works fine but it needs some
manual corrections.

I tried to do this with sigil but I get strange results. Opening the .epub with
the sony library software seems to be okay but with sigil I get a lot of blanks
into the words of the file. If I save the document then the blanks are included
in the document.

I think the problem is the scaling of the font size - I get the same problem
with calibre if I use the fontscaling there.

Is there a possibility to switch off the scaling of the font size in sigil?
What else can I do?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Regards, Franz Peter.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Screenshots are nice for illustrating the problem, but they don't help with debugging it. You need to attach the epub files that are causing this so I can take a look at them.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
FraPe
Enthusiast
FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.FraPe has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Thank you for your response

Hello,

thank you for your answers - enclosed you can find three files:

.) The original .rtf file
.) The .epub file created with calibre
.) The .epub file created with Sigil
(saving the .epub calibre created file without any changes)

The same problem is with all files I tried. I wrote the text (part
of a science fiction ebook) by myself with Word 2003. So I don't
understand why (and how!) invisible characters could be included here.

Thanks,
Regards, Franz Peter.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Testfile_calibre.epub (121.9 KB, 377 views)
File Type: epub Testfile_Sigil.epub (121.9 KB, 378 views)
File Type: rtf Testfile - Fran Peterz.rtf (123.8 KB, 532 views)

Last edited by FraPe; 11-12-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, that's interestingly weird.
In the RTF the line

Nur ein Traum.

is not one bit of text, but two - the N separate from the rest of the line, even though the formatting its identical.
Calibre translates this into two spans of the same class

<p class="calibre2"><span class="none2">N</span><span class="none2">ur ein Traum.</span></p>

And I suspect HTML Tidy in Sigil is then adding a space between the two spans, giving

<p class="calibre2"><span class="none2">N</span> <span class="none2">ur ein Traum.</span></p>

Unfortunately, adding a space between spans is significant - it actiually adds a space into the text.
So it does seem to be a Sigil bug.

Would you like to log the bug on the tracking system, or shall I make up a small test document and log it?

Quote:
Hello,

thank you for your answers - enclosed you can find three files:

.) The original .rtf file
.) The .epub file created with calibre
.) The .epub file created with Sigil
(saving the .epub calibre created file without any changes)

The same problem is with all files I tried. I wrote the text (part
of a science fiction ebook) by myself with Word 2003. So I don't
understand why (and how!) invisible characters could be included here.

Thanks,
Regards, Franz Peter.
Advert
Old 11-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
Josch91
Reader
Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad
Hi Valloric,

is it possible, that this is the same problem I mentioned here?
Josch91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Yes, it's the same problem - HTML Tidy adding spaces between span elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josch91 View Post
Old 11-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #8
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josch91 View Post
Hi Valloric,

Yes, it seems I spoke to soon when I said that was a specialized problem. But Tidy bugs... man I'm telling you those will be the death of me.

Tidy is a nightmare to debug.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #9
FraPe
Enthusiast

Thanks to all!!!

Hello again

and thanks to all for the very fast analysis!

Quote:
Would you like to log the bug on the tracking system, or shall I make up a small test document and log it?
@pdurrant: If you can do this for me this would be really great!!!!

Thanks a lot,
Regards,
Franz Peter.

Last edited by FraPe; 11-16-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

It seems that this issue has already been reported, with a sample file.

http://code.google.com/p/sigil/issues/detail?id=139

Quote:

@pdurrant: If you can do this for me this would be really great!!!!

Old 11-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
FraPe
Enthusiast

Thank you

I see.

Regards, Franz Peter.