Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
PRS-700 tips and tricks

I don't have the device yet, but I'm reading the User's Guide and I thought it might be useful to note various little things which might be not obvious.

Shutting down the reader
To turn the Reader completely off, slide and hold the power switch for more than three seconds. Note that it takes much longer to start up the reader from such state than from sleep mode.

Muting the volume
To mute the volume, press and hold VOL- or VOL+ button. Press again to unmute.

Quick bookmark
To bookmark a page without going through the menus, double-tap the top right corner of the page.

Search for text from current page
If you want to search for one of the words shown on the current page, double-tap it before pressing Search button. If you want to search for a phrase, double-tap first word then drag without lifting the finger.

Flipping the pages
If you want to quickly flip many pages, drag the page to the right (or left) and hold your finger. The pages will keep flipping until you lift it.

Going back after following a link
If you tapped on a link and then want to return, you can't use the Back button since it will close the book and return you to the book list. Instead tap the page number in the status bar to show the Page jump panel, and tap the "Previous View" icon (clock with a leftward-pointing arrow).

Switching to thumbnail view
To show the book list as thumbnails of the covers instead of text table, press Option button and choose "Thumbnail" under "View".

Closing pop-up windows
Instead of trying to hit the X icon, you can use the Back button to close the pop-up windows.

Miscellaneous information.
When Power Management is activated (which is the default setting), the Reader goes into sleep mode after 60 minutes of inactivity. After 5 days of inactivity, it shuts down automatically. It will also shut down sooner it the battery level is low.
N.B. When playing music, Reader does not enter sleep mode automatically.

The "7500 pages" number.
There is a note in this manual: "Measured using a fully-charged battery and counting consecutive BBeB format page-turn at approx. 1 page per sec. Actual battery life may vary based on usage patterns and specific device".

Last edited by igorsk; 11-18-2008 at 07:48 PM.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I don't have the device yet, but I'm reading the User's Guide and I thought it might be useful to note various little things which might be not obvious.

Quick bookmark
To bookmark a page without going through the menus, double-tap the top right corner of the page.

Flipping the pages
If you want to quickly flip many pages, drag the page to the right (or left) and hold your finger. The pages will keep flipping until you lift it.
I bookmark only by double tapping and it works well.

To flip pages fast the forward button works better for me - I tend to let go on the screen after the switch move, though if you *consciously* try, it works as above - but even better is the page cursor that appears in the options/go to page. Not as smooth as the 770/Ebk one, but quite good.

The back menu button is your friend as is sorting books by date, though I still miss having the list of the last 100 books accessed and the option to go to previous book in one move.

I have no idea why it's hard to implement the list of accessed books in a special internal memory "collection" that adds/changes the place of the book once you access it. That is one of the most useful features of the 770. Even the last 10-20 books would do. With the 700 as with the 500, I bookmark the last read page on any book I open, but then I have to spend some time "cleaning" the bookmarks once in a while...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Flipping the pages
I think this is the killer feature for research/reference books. Can you see each page as it goes buy. Would this be close enough to thumbing through a real book to be useful?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
sarah7700
Enthusiast
sarah7700 doesn't littersarah7700 doesn't litter

Device: PRS700
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think this is the killer feature for research/reference books. Can you see each page as it goes buy. Would this be close enough to thumbing through a real book to be useful?

BOb
The video at the end of this review had a part in it about the feature for flipping through pages fast http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=502
sarah7700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah7700 View Post
The video at the end of this review had a part in it about the feature for flipping through pages fast http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=502
As seen in that video demo you can see the pages, but they do flip pretty fast (I don't think there's anyway to adjust speed). I think this would enable anyone to thumb though a book and look for clues like charts/graphs/headings that you didn't bookmark the first time through.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
sarah7700
Enthusiast
sarah7700 doesn't littersarah7700 doesn't litter

Device: PRS700
I think it's pretty amazing that it can flip through pages that fast without going black in between.
sarah7700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah7700 View Post
I think it's pretty amazing that it can flip through pages that fast without going black in between.
Yes, this was impressive. And the search looked very useful to. I am tempted again to buy a 700...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:29 AM   #8
Jer
Jer doesn't litterJer doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-600
Its very useful being able to flip through pages by holding your finger, just don't try cleaning the screen with a soft cloth while its turned on... *grins*
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:49 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Fast page flipping is impressive
astra is offline   Reply With Quote