Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #226
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
There are a number of different jailbreaks. Please provide a link for the jailbreak that you used. You also need an ENABLE_DIAGS file (which you have) on recent 5.1.0 firmware (or use MfgTool to boot to diags). The data.tar.gz is only extracted in diags mode on the FIRST reboot, and the payload it deposits is executed on the SECOND reboot. You should reboot from the settings menu. A long power-hold reset does not always install things as you might expect.

DEVS: We need a smarter jailbreak payload that creates the missing log directory and file (so you can disable diags in the diags menu), and that also deletes ENABLE_DIAGS and does the idme and reboot commands, so the jailbreak instructions can be greatly simplified.
All reboots have been from the settings menu. I have rebooted from the settings menu several times (8 to 10 times) but still no diagnostics menu.

I'll look into the MfgTool to see if that helps.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #227
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
All reboots have been from the settings menu. I have rebooted from the settings menu several times (8 to 10 times) but still no diagnostics menu.

I'll look into the MfgTool to see if that helps.
If you can get to diags SSH (by flashing diags_ssh from fastboot if needed), you can manually jailbreak it, and manually deposit the jailbreak payload(s).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #228
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you can get to diags SSH (by flashing diags_ssh from fastboot if needed), you can manually jailbreak it, and manually deposit the jailbreak payload(s).
I think that's a bit over my head. I think I'll wait to see if another version of the jailbreak becomes available or just skip it altogether. I've hacked every Kindle I've owned since K1 and even created the original MR wiki for hacking and jailbreaking (with a lot of help) but this one is just not working for me.

Thanks for trying to help.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #229
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I think that's a bit over my head. I think I'll wait to see if another version of the jailbreak becomes available or just skip it altogether. I've hacked every Kindle I've owned since K1 and even created the original MR wiki for hacking and jailbreaking (with a lot of help) but this one is just not working for me.

Thanks for trying to help.
How do you know it is not working?

Can you get to diags with MfgTool?
Old 05-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #230
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
How do you know it is not working?

Can you get to diags with MfgTool?
I'm just starting to read the debricking thread to learn where to get and how to use MfgTool. The first post comes across as too complicated for me but I know if I read through the thread, I can usually find a more simplified instruction.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #231
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
The problem seems not to be with the jailbreak, but with the Kindle not honoring the ENABLE_DIAGS file to get into diags mode, for whichever reason. Your setup does look correct to me. But since there have been at least two versions of the diagnostics partition seen in the wild (But the devices labeled with the exact same FW version), maybe this is a similar "situation".

Please try to get into diags one way or another, and be sure to help us find out the exact reason afterwards.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #232
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
The problem seems not to be with the jailbreak, but with the Kindle not honoring the ENABLE_DIAGS file to get into diags mode, for whichever reason. Your setup does look correct to me. But since there have been at least two versions of the diagnostics partition seen in the wild (But the devices labeled with the exact same FW version), maybe this is a similar "situation".

Please try to get into diags one way or another, and be sure to help us find out the exact reason afterwards.
Perhaps they have yet ANOTHER patched firmware version that does not honor ENABLE_DIAGS?

At least if the idme bootmode var still works, you should be able to get into diags with MfgTool (read the Select Boot first post, linked from the simple debricking thread).

You can also set the bootmode var to diags with fastboot. MfgTool boots without saving a different bootmode so it might be safer for you to use MfgTool.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #233
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PS: May I suggest to move this discussion to a more "appropriate" thread? It seems more logical to discuss this here. That's where it belongs to IMO, as in this thread it only adds off-topic clutter.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #234
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Wild guess: Windows adding a hidden .txt file extension to the file?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #235
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
If file /mnt/us/USE_ALT_FONTS exists, KT uses fonts with families/typefaces:
  • alternate1, alternate2, alternate3 (for firmwares up to 5.1.0)
  • all found (except some stock) (for 5.1.0)
I don't know whether restart of whole framework is needed to handle this file (or it's abscence) or just restart of reader booklet is sufficient, but believe former is true.

Also starting from 5.1.0, stock fontconfig configuration includes file /mnt/us/fonts/alternate.conf (with ignore_missing=yes). Include is defined in /etc/fonts/conf.d/70-lab126-altfonts.conf. There are also: rewriting of font families of example fonts to alternateX, making of /mnt/us/fonts directory visible to fc-cache and some alias/prefer directives (which, I think, are for overriding system fonts) in that configuration file.

Fonts used by KT with the help of this mechanism are displayed in Aa dialog in standard reader.

Hope, it will useful in some way. Remember about fc-cache (/usr/bin/fc-cache.sh is more suited) and check for proper handling of new and removing of stale fonts from cache. Otherwise, framework can crash on invoking Aa dialog.

UPD but, honestly, it's partially old news

UPD2 and /usr/bin/fc-cache.sh could be invoked with ;fc-cache debug command (shoud be entered in search bar). So with knowledge of fontconfig configuration syntax, it's possible to add new fonts without jailbreak.

UPD3 /mnt/us/fonts/alternate.conf isn't processed, at least at 5.1.0 (include is really defined, but it's value contains newlines at start and end, so defined file isn't found). However, as /mnt/us/fonts is defined as font directory, any font file in this directory is automatically catched by fontconfig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alt_fonts_select.gif
Views:	7215
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	87207  

Last edited by eureka; 06-03-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: improvements
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:02 AM   #236
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Also starting from 5.1.0, stock fontconfig configuration includes file /mnt/us/fonts/alternate.conf
@eureka: I don't know why but I don't have /mnt/us/fonts folder... I wonder why?

@ixtab : could you please change the folder from /mnt/us/fonthack to /mnt/us/opt/fonthack as your other hack (JBPatch) is like? because the root folder is getting messed up by all the little folders and it's better to be organized right off the bat. Thanks.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:47 AM   #237
ixtab
(offline)

@cscat: I wouldn't mind doing so (and besides, you can always compile it by yourself). But do you really think that because one person requests it, I will break thousands of existing installations?

On a side note, putting stuff into a folder named "opt" again confuses other people, who don't read the instructions, and are thinking that it is the familiar /opt, and then start to wonder again why things don't work.

This is tiring - whichever way you do it, you do it wrong. Everybody seems to have complaints and to know better, but almost nobody is willing to put in any effort by themselves.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:53 AM   #238
eureka
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
@eureka: I don't know why but I don't have /mnt/us/fonts folder... I wonder why?
Because it's optional. You also didn't have /mnt/us/images, did you?

Last edited by eureka; 06-02-2012 at 04:56 AM. Reason: provide an example
Old 06-02-2012, 05:19 AM   #239
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Last edited by eureka; Today at 10:56. Reason: provide an example
Ну молодец!

(in case you're wondering: no, not satirical at all, honest! Just positively impressed, and slightly amused, because even that one-line correction is well-documented )
Old 06-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #240
eureka

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
@ixtab : could you please change the folder from /mnt/us/fonthack to /mnt/us/opt/fonthack as your other hack (JBPatch) is like? because the root folder is getting messed up by all the little folders and it's better to be organized right off the bat. Thanks.
BTW, there were calls for standartisation of filesystem hierarchy. I'm not pushing anybody to discuss this "isuue", just mentioning the facts.

I thinks that famous xkcd comic about standards is pretty applyable here. So it's better for all to leave it as-is.

Spoiler:
But if I'll manage to create something which will need user-created files, I'll create a new hierarchy It will be located within directory /mnt/us/.xroot and will totally resemble FHS (except that /root will be renamed to /owner and there will be no /home). It will be like:
Code:
/mnt/us
  /.xroot
    /bin
    /owner
    /usr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Ну молодец!

(in case you're wondering: no, not satirical at all, honest! Just positively impressed, and slightly amused, because even that one-line correction is well-documented )
Danke schön. There isn't history of edits, so my small edit often recieves full, but a bit excessive description, while description of sequenced major edits could be squashed in general improvements.

Tags
kindle touch hacks