Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
manapause
manapause began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle to Calibre "Last Page Read" sync

Way back in the past, calibre seemed to remember the last page read: location when I plugged in my Kindle 2. It used to save the data in the comments/summary and I thought it might have also marked them as read (if I'd got to the end of a book). It'd be great if when I load up calibre and the kindle, calibre would track which books I've read

Did this functionality vanish, or is it hidden somewhere? None of the google results I found mentioned this, they were all about general amazon/whispernet type syncs - I am wanting to do it with my own books

Also, thanks a tonne for the great software... my only other wish would be for an autoupdater... I think I have about 100 different iterations in my download folder ;-)
manapause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
mbrown3
mbrown3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Any reply on this? I'd love to know if there is a way to sync the furthest page read from/through Calibre. Most of my books are on my Kindle, but there are times when I want to use my iPhone to read some of my books (like if I run to the store with my wife, I'd love be able to get a little reading done while I'm waiting for her to come out of the store). But whispernet only sync's amazon books (.azw, .azw1) and/or books purchased from them, and a good majority of my books are in mobi format. So, can Calibre sync the furthest page read so I can have the most current location when I open a book on a different device? Does this require the content server? I hope not, because then I think I would have to manually connect to the content server through the Kindle in order to update content, and the Kindle's browser sucks. Perhaps there is another way?
mbrown3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 02:45 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Ordinarily, no replies means that noone has any good ideas.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:26 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrown3 View Post
Any reply on this? I'd love to know if there is a way to sync the furthest page read from/through Calibre.
It looks like it might be possible with your Kindle and calibre, check out this thread.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
You'll find the fetch annotations button when you plug in your kindle and select the little arrow next to send to device icon.

Great feature I use it the information for my custom column.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
raytracer
raytracer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, Android Kindle app
I saw that 0.7.44 added the functionality to sync to furthest page with sideloaded .mobi formatted books and kindle.

After installing .44, I immediately re-converted the book I'm reading and resent it to my devices. I'm pleased beyond measure to report that it works flawlessly, syncing my Kindle3 with my Android Kindle app!

Joe
raytracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
MOBI Output: Use the book uuid as the ASIN field and set cdetype to EBOK to allow Amazon furthest read tracking to work with calibre generated MOBI file
What is the uuid and where is it found?
Old 02-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
its a random string automatically generated. You cannot access it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
beckywc
Addict

oh thanks, I thought I had to add the asin somewhere.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #10
raytracer
raytracer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, Android Kindle app
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
What is the uuid and where is it found?
I spent forever looking for all that stuff, when I couldn't find it, I gave up and just tried re-converting several test books to .mobi and it worked perfectly.

Apparently, it's all handled automatically in the background.

Joe
raytracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #11
mbrown3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
It looks like it might be possible with your Kindle and calibre, check out this thread.
This seems to be relevant for part of the OP, in terms of marking/showing books as read, but this doesn't speak to my question quite as much (I remove books from my device as soon as I'm done reading them, and just keep an archived copy in my Calibre). My real interest is in the sync to furthest page read function, so that (after I've synced all devices to/from Calibre, obviously) if I open a book on my iPhone, it will show the last page I read on my Kindle, and vice versa. I hate having to scroll through a book to try to figure out where I last left off if I open the book I'm reading on another device. That "whispernet" functionality works for .azw (and .azw1) files, obviously, just not for the books I've added myself...from free repositories, etc. Or am I missing something?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
mbrown3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
I saw that 0.7.44 added the functionality to sync to furthest page with sideloaded .mobi formatted books and kindle.

After installing .44, I immediately re-converted the book I'm reading and resent it to my devices. I'm pleased beyond measure to report that it works flawlessly, syncing my Kindle3 with my Android Kindle app!

Joe
So...what exactly do you mean by "sideloaded"? I have a bunch of books that I got from free book repositories that started in mobi format, in addition to some that began life as .azw or .azw1 files that have been converted to mobi. It sounds like I need to re-convert the ones that began life as Amazon files, but do I also need to re-convert all of the others? And, for clarification, I'm assuming here that "re-convert" refers to re-importing and allowing the plug-in process to "convert" formats...rather than books that are already in Calibre, and going to "convert" to re-convert them from mobi to mobi (that process doesn't work for going from .azw to .mobi anyway). Is that right?

Thanks...
Old 02-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #13
CuriousGrrl
Kindle lover/Linux user
CuriousGrrl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
You will need to reconvert them to .mobi (even if they are already .mobi) to get the metadata updates that are required for "Furthest Page Read" syncing to work. "reconvert" = select them in Calibre --> Convert --> Bulk Convert --> Output format MOBI
CuriousGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #14
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
You'll find the fetch annotations button when you plug in your kindle and select the little arrow next to send to device icon.

Great feature I use it the information for my custom column.
Thanks for posting this.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #15
coaver
coaver began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 & Kindle for Android
This did not work for me. I updated to the latest version of Calibre this morning. I reconverted my library after the update and sent a new copy of each book to both my Kindle 3 WiFi and my Android phone. I opened a couple books in each and established where I was in each book by bookmarking and going to that specific location. Then I attempted to sync and nothing happened. On both devices I received a message that I was already synced to the furthest location read. But they did not sync. Both devices are on different locations. What did I do wrong?
coaver is offline   Reply With Quote