blackest
Connoisseur
blackest began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 2
sigil 0.8.1 building on linux

ok heres what i've done so far.
downloaded the qt online installer
running as a user it installs to \home\user\Qt
if you sudo it installs to opt/Qt a better location.

http://www.cmake.org/download/
sudo /bin/sh cmake-3.0.2-Linux-i386.sh
extracted the cmake files which i copied into /usr/ overwriting the 2.8 version of cmake
this does not seem ideal but it works.

i unpacked the sigil0.8.1 archive and created the build and run folders in there
then in sigil-0.8.1/
cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/opt/Qt/5.3/gcc/lib/cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=~/Sigil-0.8.1/run -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DFORCE_BUNDLED_COPIES=1 ~/Sigil-0.8.1/

this built the config (few seconds really to do this)
then ran
make
(i think i initially did this in Sigil-0.8.1/build/ )
and then
make install

only its not quite working i can click on the sigil binary and it works but its not in my path
I tried check install but that fails.

Can anyone help me build it properly?

cheers
blackest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think you have it built properly if it runs. It doesn't need to be in your path to work.

If you want it to be in your path then either create a symlink in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin to the sigil binary in your ~/Sigil-0.8.1/run/bin folder, or eliminate the "-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=~Sigil-0..8.1/run" from your original cmake command and use:

"sudo make install"

to install Sigil to the /usr/local prefix. The Sigil binary (/usr/local/bin/sigil) will be in your path.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yeah, installing it into the ~/Sigil-0.8.1/run/ folder will put the binary in the bin/ folder of the install location.

compiling programs into $HOME will always require you to setup the path manually.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:59 AM   #4
blackest
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I think you have it built properly if it runs. It doesn't need to be in your path to work.

If you want it to be in your path then either create a symlink in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin to the sigil binary in your ~/Sigil-0.8.1/run/bin folder, or eliminate the "-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=~Sigil-0..8.1/run" from your original cmake command and use:

"sudo make install"

to install Sigil to the /usr/local prefix. The Sigil binary (/usr/local/bin/sigil) will be in your path.
That isn't quite how you do it thou is it?
/usr/local/bin/sigil is a script which sets up the qt lib locations and then runs /usr/local/share/sigil/sigil-real

There is also a warn on compilation
"/src/Sigil/Misc/PluginDB.cpp:101:18: warning: unused variable ‘plugin’ [-Wunused-variable]
Plugin *plugin;
"

cheers other than that it seems without problems.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackest View Post
That isn't quite how you do it thou is it?
/usr/local/bin/sigil is a script which sets up the qt lib locations and then runs /usr/local/share/sigil/sigil-real
That's not how I do it in my binary package, no. But I'm also distributing and relocating the Qt libs, so the script is necessary. You're free to create a similar script if you like.

Quote:
There is also a warn on compilation
"/src/Sigil/Misc/PluginDB.cpp:101:18: warning: unused variable ‘plugin’ [-Wunused-variable]
Plugin *plugin;
"
Compilation warnings are not errors. Ignore them.
Advert
Old 10-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Compilation warnings are not errors. Ignore them.
Dangerous advice... This surely depends on the warning. Some problems can appear as warning, but are errors instead. It really depends on the warning.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Dangerous advice... This surely depends on the warning.
Dangerous? Hardly. The worst that can happen is the program won't work. In all my years of compiling stuff on Linux, I've never really encountered a warning that affected the final result -- IF the compilation process ultimately finished successfully. And I've rarely compiled any large projects where there weren't warnings along the way (especially with code that's going to be compiled with multiple compilers on multiple platforms). Cavalier?? Possibly ... but not dangerous. Especially when I'm familiar with blackest's particular warning and know that it can be safely ignored. So I have no problem telling anyone who ended up with a functioning version of Sigil that they can ignore any warnings they may have encountered during compilation. Welcome to cross-platform compilation.

Perhaps I should have said; "ignore them until they won't allow you to ignore them any more," but that seems like a given to me. *shrug*

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-15-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Well, not quite. Perhaps in this case it cannot do much harm, but I have experience otherwise for other programs. In those cases there was usually also a warning about a missing library or function but the program compiled and did run. However, there was a major issue with the programs and a big loss of data as a result... A warning is not always a warning.
In this particular case I totally agree with you, it is not important and indeed there are almost always warnings. However, unless you are familiar with the warnings, investigation should be done.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Fair enough. Further investigation is never going to hurt someone in any case.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:22 PM   #10
blackest
Connoisseur

Quote:
Fair enough. Further investigation is never going to hurt someone in any case.
It only appears to be the one warning, a pointer that is created but not used.

maybe it was a left over from an experiment or it is needed on another platform. The sigil source is very clean (just one warning seems to be exceptional in most projects).

i only really mentioned it for completeness. sigil feels rock solid in this update.