Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 05-26-2022, 07:19 PM   #1
TheMadGuy
TheMadGuy began at the beginning.

Device: Trekstor 3.0
New features possible?

Well, first of all, I am not a developer, but as the features I am thinking about - and some other users would maybe like, too - I decided to post those ideas into the development section to find out if they even are possible!

For the first two ones you might say that I could handle them by my own created fields, but we all know that they are very bad to handle as they are always on the second page. That complicates clearing up data.

1. Additionally to the author/writer a field named "credited as"
Movie collectors quite sure know that from several databases, and in case of pseudonyms it would be a very easy method to combine the entries of several different pseudos with the real name of the writer. If the field is empty, then the person in the "writer" field is the author. If you collect the ebook versions of the cheap paperback novels, quite ofthen the whole series has printed the same "writer", but in most of the cases this is just a pseudo for 10, 20, 30 or more different writers. So placing the printed name in the "credited as" field and the real name (as far as available) in the writer's field would also make the search easier as someone who knows only the written name searchs for this one, someone who knows that the novels of the series of writer XYZ are the best written ones, is able to search specifically for him.

2. "Second Series" would be a beloved feature, too! I collect not only ebooks, but also e-comics, and the software I use for them ("Comic Rack") has this feature. According to ebooks it has one simple reason: There are countless books released as part of a label ("Science Fiction Action", "Terra Fantasy" etc.) so in theory that is a good series to enter. But quite often they are part of a "book series", too, but as the series field is filled, the only chance to get them connected with the other books of the (book-)series is either the tags field or the comments field.

3. "Search and replace"-enhancement: Back to the cheap paperback novels! Imagine you get 100, 200 or even 500 or 1000 such novels of one series. The file is named with all data but after adding them to calibre, you have their number not only in the numbers field, no, each and every title looks like "number - title". But as they all have different numbers, it's not possible to delete all of them at once by search and replace. So any function to delete the first 3, 4, 5.... digits of all marked books at once, would be so helpful - as it is a horrible job to do this for hundreds of books manually for each single one.

Could anyone let me know if those ideas are a) possible, b) accept, c) possibly (as someone else had the same ideas) allready in development or d) needless and not interesting for anybody

Thanks in advance!
TheMadGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:38 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1) and 2) create your own fields. And if you dont want them on the second page, when editing metadata, there is an option for that under Preferences->Look & feel->Editmetadata

3) Use bulk search and replace
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:50 AM   #3
TheMadGuy
TheMadGuy began at the beginning.

Device: Trekstor 3.0
After a little learning 3) worked. But according to 1 & 2: Am I the only one who would appreciate this?

Thanks for support!
TheMadGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:45 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadGuy View Post
After a little learning 3) worked. But according to 1 & 2: Am I the only one who would appreciate this?

Thanks for support!
2: I already have my second *and third* series as custom columns of series type.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote