Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
ChipAtOuse
ChipAtOuse is a jewel in the roughChipAtOuse is a jewel in the roughChipAtOuse is a jewel in the roughChipAtOuse is a jewel in the roughChipAtOuse is a jewel in the roughChipAtOuse is a jewel in the roughChipAtOuse is a jewel in the roughChipAtOuse is a jewel in the roughChipAtOuse is a jewel in the roughChipAtOuse is a jewel in the roughChipAtOuse is a jewel in the rough

Device: Nook Glo, Nook Color (N2A)
Gask, Arthur: The Dark Mill Stream. V2. 9 February 2013

Gask, Arthur: The Dark Mill Stream (1947)

Arthur Cecil Gask (10 July 1869—25 June 1951), dentist and novelist, was born on 10 July 1869 at St Marylebone, London, fourth of five children of Charles Gask, merchant, and his wife Fanny, née Edis.[1]

Gask emigrated to Adelaide, South Australia in 1920, where he set up practice as a dentist. He began writing crime fiction while waiting for his patients and in 1921 paid for the publication of his first novel, The Secret of the Sandhills, which was an immediate success.

Over a period of forty years Gask wrote over thirty books as well as contributing short stories to The Mail in Adelaide. Most of his novels described the activities of a detective, Gilbert Larose, in solving crimes. Gask's work was translated into several European languages, serialised in newspapers and broadcast on radio. He also wrote short stories.
—Information adapted from Wikipedia

This book, by some accounts, is the 21st of the Gilbert Larose Mysteries. I have added the cover at the front, deleted the second internal copy of the cover, updated some formatting and added “curly quotes.” At the suggestion of bobcdy, I have indented the paragraphs and slightly decreased the paragraph spacing. Any other criticisms, suggestions, and the like would be appreciated.

Synopsis:
A large sum of money was stolen from a London bank and hidden in an old mill in a lonely and unfrequented part of Essex. It is found by two men already deep in crime, and the dreadful murder of one of them follows.

Gilbert Larose, the one-time great international detective, when discovery seems well-nigh impossible, nevertheless, picks up the trail—almost from what he hears in the whisperings of the wind—and it leads him to an important country gentleman living in an historic mansion in Norfolk.

Source html: http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks13/1300281h.html

Conversion with thanks using Sigil 0.6.2 and Calibre 0.9.17
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dark Mill Stream, The - Arthur Gask.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	100757  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Dark Mill Stream, The - Arthur Gask.epub (276.2 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by ChipAtOuse; 02-09-2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Updated link to Version 2
ChipAtOuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
I've thoroughly enjoyed the Gask books uploaded by GeorgeH, so these additional books are welcome! Thanks.

You asked for criticisms; I've rapidly scanned the books and found them to be well-formatted. I prefer having indented paragraphs with perhaps a half line space between paragraphs, but that is a minor consideration.

Last edited by bobcdy; 02-08-2013 at 01:09 AM.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
ChipAtOuse
ChipAtOuse is a jewel in the roughChipAtOuse is a jewel in the roughChipAtOuse is a jewel in the roughChipAtOuse is a jewel in the roughChipAtOuse is a jewel in the roughChipAtOuse is a jewel in the roughChipAtOuse is a jewel in the roughChipAtOuse is a jewel in the roughChipAtOuse is a jewel in the roughChipAtOuse is a jewel in the roughChipAtOuse is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
I've thoroughly enjoyed the Gask books uploaded by GeorgeH, so these additional books are welcome! Thanks.

You asked for criticisms; I've rapidly scanned the books and found them to be well-formatted. I prefer having indented paragraphs with perhaps a half line space between paragraphs, but that is a minor consideration.
GeorgeH was responsible for introducing me to Gask as well. I did wait a bit after the Project Gutenberg Australia versions appeared before posting my attempts so as not to interfere with what he might have been doing.

After I learn a little more about formatting, I will see what I can do about implementing your suggestions. They both sound like good ideas. Thanks for the feedback.

chip

Last edited by ChipAtOuse; 02-08-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling correction
ChipAtOuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
ChipAtOuse

Updates to Version 2

This newer version (V2) has a couple of changes. At the suggestion of bobcdy, I have indented the paragraphs and slightly decreased the paragraph spacing. Any other criticisms, suggestions, and the like would be appreciated.

Thanks,
chip