Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What should our June category be?
Science Fiction 12 46.15%
Fantasy 10 38.46%
Non-Fiction 9 34.62%
Modern Literature (Written within past 10 years.) 9 34.62%
Biography/Memoir 10 38.46%
Lottery (Version 2—winner provides selection to vote on.) 8 30.77%
Free For All 8 30.77%
Young Adult 9 34.62%
Humor 7 26.92%
Award Winners 14 53.85%
Classical Literature (Published at least 25 years ago.) 10 38.46%
Historical Fiction 10 38.46%
MobileRead Authors 7 26.92%
Splatterpunk 3 11.54%
Indie 6 23.08%
Adventure which has nothing to do with travelling 3 11.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
June 2013 *Category* Poll

Here are your category nominations for June 2013. This visible poll is multiple choice and will be open for 4 days.

The story thus far:
Spoiler:
The 2013 MobileRead Book Club Monthly Categories
  • January: Second Chance No nominations this month. The polls will be comprised of selections that either came in second place or tied for second place during the previous 11 months.
  • February Romance
  • March Travel/Adventure
  • April Classics
  • May Mystery/Thriller

For reference and comparison purposes only, here are the 2012 Categories:
Spoiler:
January — RunnerUp (no nominations, a vote of all the runners-up nominations from the last 11 months)
February — Romance
March — Thriller/Suspense
May — Humour
May — Fantasy
June — Classic
July — Mystery/Crime
August — FreeForAll
September — NonFiction
October — Horror
November — Science Fiction
December — Classic

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-17-2013 at 05:12 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
This month I'm rooting for Science Fiction, because it's the last chance for us to have Science Fiction and Fantasy six months apart. I'm not big on the idea of Science Fiction in December, but the possibility of Fantasy in December and Science Fiction in June sounds good.

If it doesn't win this month then I think we ought to start considering a combo month of Sci-Fi/Fantasy.

It's interesting to look at the options this month and realise that at least nine(!) of them won't become any month's category.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
This month I'm rooting for Science Fiction
I would never ever root for Sci-fi. That said, there are ways to make it appealing and interesting. Cloud Atlas was an inspired nomination. I ended up not liking it (which surprised me, as I had liked the other two Mitchell works I'd read), but I had always meant to read it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Nor me, apart from "classics" like John Wyndham. I'm surprised to see that Biography/Memoir has taken an early lead.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I would never ever root for Sci-fi. That said, there are ways to make it appealing and interesting. Cloud Atlas was an inspired nomination. I ended up not liking it (which surprised me, as I had liked the other two Mitchell works I'd read), but I had always meant to read it.
But Cloud Atlas wasn't science fiction and it wasn't all that good. That was a month we got robbed. So if we don't get science fiction for 2013, we'll not have had a science fiction book in a month of science fiction since 2011.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-17-2013 at 11:02 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Can Biography/Memoir be a fictional Biography/Memoir (something like The Curious Case f Benjamin Button)? Or will the nominating/voting determine this.

I'm stretching here, I'm not a big fan of this category.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think you are missing out. Some of the best books I have read the last couple of years have been Science Fiction which was a genre I had ignored for a long time.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Can Biography/Memoir be a fictional Biography/Memoir (something like The Curious Case f Benjamin Button)? Or will the nominating/voting determine this.

That's a good question that should have been answered before the vote. I guess we'll have to let fictional ones in too since it was not defined that they weren't allowed.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Come on people, science fiction needs a win. We've not read a good science fiction book since 2011. Don't let it pass you by. If you don't like science fiction, please vote for it so you only really have to deal with it officially once.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

Seeing as nothing was specified at the time of nomination, I would say that any form of biography, autobiography or memoir qualifies.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I think that something like The Curious Case of Benjamin Button wouldn't fit in but I have no problem if the majority sees it otherwise. I would prefer to read a book about "real" people, not fictional.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

One of the problems with biography/memoir is the size of the books. They can be very large. Now, the thing is, I've noticed a trend towards smaller books so people have the time to finish them. Now why is this winning when it goes against the evidence of smaller books being more likely to win?
Old 01-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I wonder if accepting fictional biography/memoirs would make the category far too inclusive. For instance both Great Expectations and David Copperfield would qualify if that were the case. And there are a great many more--any fictional work based on real situations which give the impression of having a semi-auto biographical slant could be a possible choice. If that's what members wish--then of course they can so decide, but in normal literary terminology Biography, Autobiography, and Memoirs are usually considered to be non-fiction.

But of course it's entirely up to yourselves.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I wonder if accepting fictional biography/memoirs would make the category far too inclusive. For instance both Great Expectations and David Copperfield would qualify if that were the case. And there are a great many more--any fictional work based on real situations which give the impression of having a semi-auto biographical slant could be a possible choice. If that's what members wish--then of course they can so decide, but in normal literary terminology Biography, Autobiography, and Memoirs are usually considered to be non-fiction.

But of course it's entirely up to yourselves.
Of course, there are fiction books (while not written as a biography) are biographical because they tell a part of the main character's life.

For example, the Dresden Files series. Each book tells of of the life of Harry Dresden. There aren't large bits that go off and tell some other part of the story. These books all fit the category. Because we did not get a proper definition, those books fit the bill.

This is why I defined Modern Literature. So there would be no arguments later as to what is meant. Because I did that, we had two other categories defined.

And we should have had a definition for Award Winners as we have awards such as..."The Worst National Book Award List since the Last National Book Award List", "The Worst Book Cover in Religious Publishing Awards 2012", "Worst Book of the Year Award", "Bad Sex Awards 2012: The Worst Sex Scenes Of The Year" and "Delete Key Awards for Bad Writing". These are all awards and the books that get the award are up for nomination should Award Winners win.

But to be serious, the best thing to do is let Award Winners and Biographies/Memoirs fall by the wayside for this vote so they can be nominated again but with a definition to go with them.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-18-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #15
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I can't decide if this is silliness for the sake of being silly, or contention for the sake of being contentious, but it doesn't deserve to be taken seriously. Everyone (yes, everyone) knows that biography/autobiography/memoir is non-fiction.

Let the standard be what reasonable people understand a category to comprise and let it go.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote