Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
nook vs Reader Daily

I want to get an eReader this year and I think I have narrowed things down to either the nook or reader daily. Both seem to have a very similar feature set with the reader daily being a bit larger and having the touch screen.

I would mostly be using it for casual reading and some newspaper and magazines as well. The ability to get blogs/RSS feeds would be very nice as well, although a web browser is not anything important to me. Dictionary lookup, note taking, and search feature would also be important.

My questions/confusion is in the file formats and the DRM. As I understand it both will accept ePub books from any source as long as the source is not DRMd. So that means I can get an 'open' ePub book from a library, google books, project gutenberg, etc and read it on either reader - correct? It is when I purchase the books I need to be careful in that a book purchased from B&N most likely will not read on a Sony and vice-versa?

From researching it seems both will offer newspapers and magazines but neither have really specified how or how much yet. And it looks like Sony already offers RSS feeds which the nook does not (at least not yet).

Other than the above, the touch screen, and larger size is there anything else to justify the price difference between the two? Allowing for the Sony brand name too, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

I realize no one has one of these yet, but if anyone has any thoughts, insight, or points I may not have considered that would be great.

thanks
Dave
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Library ePub books have DRM - that's the way they work; they have time-limiting DRM which makes the book stop working at the end of the loan period.

It is unclear from what I've read whether the Nook will offer a dictionary and annotation capabilities. Those are both (to me at least) very important.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Library ePub books have DRM - that's the way they work; they have time-limiting DRM which makes the book stop working at the end of the loan period.

It is unclear from what I've read whether the Nook will offer a dictionary and annotation capabilities. Those are both (to me at least) very important.
Thanks for the reply Harry. I understand about the library books having DRM but isn't it a fairly 'relaxed' one though in that it is mostly, as you said, to limit the borrowing time, and they would still be reader on just about every reader that supports ePub. I guess my main concern is that I do not want to be limited in purchasing a book that can only be read on one reader.

I'm pretty sure the nook is going to have both dictionary and annotation both will be accomplished through the virtual keyboard on the lower screen. I'm lazy though so the idea of being able to just touch the word to look up on the Sony appeals to me.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
dsvick
Wizard

The more I've read here and in other forums and online the more I'm sort of leaning towards the Sony. I wont purchase either though until I've actually held them and tested them. Other than that the biggest sticking point I've got is the price difference between the two.

I dont know that there are enough advantages in the Sony to justify the difference. Anyone have any thoughts on that? Or any of my other points that I might have missed.

thanks
Old 11-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
dsvick
Wizard

I've done a bit of comparison of the specs to see what the biggest differences are - at least as far as I can see.

On the Sony Reader Daily side are:
  • bigger screen
  • landscape mode (I'm pretty sure the nook does not have this)
  • entire screen is a touch screen (allows for easier highlighting, annotations, dictionary lookups)
  • comes with a cover and case (probably about a $40 value, based on cost to buy the same for the nook)

For the nook the pluses are:
  • color screen (small and only on the bottom, but sort of a plus)
  • lending
  • special content in B & N stores
  • more content (not sure if this is really true, or if it will remain true once they both move to ePub)

My biggest worry is the content comparison, but I'm thinking (possibly incorrectly) that if/when they both move to the ePub format, unless a book is specifically DRMd for a certain device, you should be able to read them on either. If that is the case then the touch screen and the benefits you get from it offset the nook pluses and the remaining price difference for me.
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
TGNY
Enthusiast
TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-600
To me the second color screen on the nook is a negative, I know it turns off but it is wasted space IMO. The nook and Kindle seem to be created for market domination. The sony is geared more to push the technology. I say get the sony. Enjoy!
TGNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post

My biggest worry is the content comparison, but I'm thinking (possibly incorrectly) that if/when they both move to the ePub format, unless a book is specifically DRMd for a certain device, you should be able to read them on either. If that is the case then the touch screen and the benefits you get from it offset the nook pluses and the remaining price difference for me.
We don't know that for certain. The assumption is a good one, but because of the "lending" option the nook may be using a different (next release version) of Adobe adept DRM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
If you want a reader for this year, you are out of luck with either the Nook or the Daily Edition. It seems that you'll have to wait until January 2010 to get one of them.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
And Plastic-Logic may there's out then as well....

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #10
gilgomez
gilgomez began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I am new to this forum and have joined to learn a bit in advance on the ereaders and specifically, the Nook. I have preordered with a expected ship date of 12-11-09.

As I begin to understand the differences between formats and compatibility with the Nook I am encouraged to have discovered:

Nook is Android os and I am hoping that B&N is smart like Apple and opens it up for developers to comeup with cool apps, etc. Maybe I am dreaming but its a nice dream since I don't have an IPhone. Yes, it may be a dream but think of the possibilities!!! This would make Nook the iphone of ereaders and dominate quite the market share so why not? And help users find tools, work arounds, etc to make their Nook more useful for their needs, making the most of its WIFI and 3G capabilities.

I stumbled on to Calibre and noticed that you can search or catalog your books by using custom tags as well as the book cover, which can be in color. I am hoping Calibre will support the Nook (it supports lots of devices, the Sony line is included). With the Nook touch screen book covers search and touch screen keyboard, I would love to see the Calibre color book covers there!

Has anyone here used the Calibre program to manage their ebook libraries, convert formats, etc? If so, do you know if the pdf format or the epub formats still retain ability to have font size increased? Reflow?

Thanks..........
gilgomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
dsvick
Wizard

Thanks for the responses everyone, I'm leaning more towards the Sony at this point, but any final decision will have to wait until I can physically hold one or the other and try them for real. Unfortunately, as Andanzas mentioned that will probably not be until after the first of the year. I've looked at the plastic logic and it doesn't do much for me at this point, I'll probably look closer when more details are available.

gilgomez, for me the possibility of the app store is not that big a deal. If I get a reader it will be to read not to do anything else - well ok, play MP3s as well. At this point I can't think of any apps I might want - although that is only because they dont exist yet

Thanks again everyone!