Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-30-2008, 06:36 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thumbs up Baen's "Jupiter" series

Just picked up the package of Baen's new "Jupiter" series - 6 books for $20, written by Charles Sheffield and Jerry Pournelle.

They are an attempt to reproduce the "feel" of Robert Heinlein's "juvenile" SF novels (which I grew up on, and loved) and from what I've read so far, they've done an excellent job.

Thoroughly recommended to any lover of "juvenile Heinlein".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:16 AM   #2
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I haven't read any of the authors you mentioned, but have been considering getting the "Pournelle Continuum". Have you read any of the books in that list, how would you rate them compared to what you've seen of the "Jupiter" series?
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've read them all. The package includes some real classics. Go for it!
Old 11-30-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Footfall is I think his best selling book, and well worth reading. Lucifer's Hammer is also good. I have not read the others. At $2 per book, this is a bargain.

The CoDominium Future History Bundle is also available, but no longer at its introductory $20 price. So I suggest trying them individually starting with The Mote in God's Eye which is Pournelle's best book in my opinion. Pournelle's collaborations with Larry Niven are all excellent.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I have read most of the Jupiter bundle in their pBook format. I can heartily endorse them ... and I'm having to exercise a great deal of discipline to avoid clicking on that "Add to Cart" button, since I just bought the Pournelle bundle and haven't read them yet. (I did read Footfall and Lucifer's Hammer many years ago.)
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I should add, by the way, that they contain language which some may not wish young teenagers to be exposed to, but certainly nothing too "extreme".
Old 12-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Does anyone refer to anyone else as a twat, or twit?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Oh, nice!

I'd read three of them ages ago in paperback and I've actually taken them out because I really wanted to reread them - but it's so much harder to get me to read hardcopy over ebooks now. The timing on this is perfect.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:57 PM   #9
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I should add, by the way, that they contain language which some may not wish young teenagers to be exposed to, but certainly nothing too "extreme".
as a recent ex teenager, my friends and I through the years used "colorful" language a whole lot more from ages 8-15, then since then.

Cursing isn't cool if your mom does i believe. so by Guarding Children from it, your just enforcing that behavior between your child and his friends. at least that's what i think

Politics, Religion, and Cursing, are just 3 of the things you either don't care, or are fanatic about in defending your position.

Besides when you were a child didn't you use and hear this all the time? The insights Orson Scott Card makes during his talks between Ender's Parents reveal a lot about how both children view parents, and how parents know exactly how their children think.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've read them all. The package includes some real classics. Go for it!
I agree completely. All good stuff. Just wish I could get "Legacy of Herot" by Pournelle, Niven, & Barnes in an ebook format.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #11
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I finished the Jupiter novels and thoroughly enjoyed them. I wish Baen had taken a little more care in their production, though; there were lots of typos in them. And one of them, Starswarm, was a real mess and had obviously not gone through any kind of proofreading--not even a spell-check. They would never have released a print version anything like this and I don't know why purchasers of e-books should have to settle for a different standard.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:00 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
With Baen it's very much worth telling them about typos in ebooks. Webscription's public email address is support@webscription.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
I finished the Jupiter novels and thoroughly enjoyed them. I wish Baen had taken a little more care in their production, though; there were lots of typos in them. And one of them, Starswarm, was a real mess and had obviously not gone through any kind of proofreading--not even a spell-check. They would never have released a print version anything like this and I don't know why purchasers of e-books should have to settle for a different standard.

Jim
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote