Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 05-15-2015, 03:59 PM   #1
blamour
blamour began at the beginning.

Device: none
Favorite Audio Books ...

As a guy who has worked in the business for quite awhile I have found that my favorites are a really eclectic mix that don't really seem to have much rhyme or reason ... Except that Steven King's publisher tends to knock it out of the park.

In no particular order -

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Steven King/Anne Heche. Heche gives a great, nearly "one woman show" performance as a young girl lost in a national park.

The Mist, Steven King/multivoice Drama. My specialty is Audio Drama production thus I have towering opinions and criticisms of everyone's work including my own. But this is one of the few that, even 25 years later still inspires me.

The Mark of Zorro, J. McCulley/multivoice Drama. Also very good.

Cloud Street, Tim Winton/Peter Hosking. I lived in Australia for awhile and this always takes me back. A strange and amazing book, beautifully read. One of the few Audio Books I can listen to over and over like a favorite album.

Hearts in Atlantis, Steven King/Steven King, William Hurt. It just shows you what a good actor King is that he is willing to put himself in the same recording as a pro like Hurt. This caused me to remember the film Creepshow where Steven King carries the show solo for 20 minutes!

Everything's Eventual, Steven King/multivoice Readers. Again and again the crew that does these gets top notch talent ... and King writes material that performs very well. I've never been impressed with him as a screenwriter but, strangely, his prose creates a damn fine script!

LA Confidential, James Ellroy/David Strathairn. Anyone who can read Ellroy from this era is a stud ... it takes a Shakespearean attention to what is intended by the author. Strathairn manages Ellroy's beatnik Dragnet talk with aplomb. I immediately hired the guy!

Anyone got some recommendations for me?
blamour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #2
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blamour View Post
As a guy who has worked in the business for quite awhile I have found that my favorites are a really eclectic mix that don't really seem to have much rhyme or reason ... Except that Steven King's publisher tends to knock it out of the park.

In no particular order -

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Steven King/Anne Heche. Heche gives a great, nearly "one woman show" performance as a young girl lost in a national park.

The Mist, Steven King/multivoice Drama. My specialty is Audio Drama production thus I have towering opinions and criticisms of everyone's work including my own. But this is one of the few that, even 25 years later still inspires me.

The Mark of Zorro, J. McCulley/multivoice Drama. Also very good.

Cloud Street, Tim Winton/Peter Hosking. I lived in Australia for awhile and this always takes me back. A strange and amazing book, beautifully read. One of the few Audio Books I can listen to over and over like a favorite album.

Hearts in Atlantis, Steven King/Steven King, William Hurt. It just shows you what a good actor King is that he is willing to put himself in the same recording as a pro like Hurt. This caused me to remember the film Creepshow where Steven King carries the show solo for 20 minutes!

Everything's Eventual, Steven King/multivoice Readers. Again and again the crew that does these gets top notch talent ... and King writes material that performs very well. I've never been impressed with him as a screenwriter but, strangely, his prose creates a damn fine script!

LA Confidential, James Ellroy/David Strathairn. Anyone who can read Ellroy from this era is a stud ... it takes a Shakespearean attention to what is intended by the author. Strathairn manages Ellroy's beatnik Dragnet talk with aplomb. I immediately hired the guy!

Anyone got some recommendations for me?
Thanks for your suggestions; I'll check them out.

You requested recommendations. Have your perused the thread, "What are we listening to? (audiobooks)"?

Last edited by Froide; 05-28-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2015, 02:12 AM   #3
blamour
blamour began at the beginning.

Device: none
I started looking through it since I made this entry. Interesting stuff, lots of good ideas. I just discovered that the King team has a few that I missed, I'm going to listen to some of them on my next interstate venture.
blamour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:25 AM   #4
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet Series narrated by Christian Rummel and Douglas Reeman's books narrated by David Rintoul. Both narrator's are superb.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
J D Robb's (aka Nora Roberts') in Death series, narrated by Susan Erickson. The only real complaint from people I hear (from those who otherwise enjoy the sci-fi light and mystery aspects) is that each book tends to contain at least 2-3 sex scenes. I have to admit, if I'm sitting on the patio with the audiobook playing (not using headphones) I've had to grab it suddenly if the neighbors are around.

There is also occasionally a gratuitous amount of cursing. I grew up in a house with 4 brothers, I don't really care about cursing - have to curb myself regularly from using it at work. But there was a point in time the author complained online that in books signings some of her readers were getting rather annoying with their comments about cursing - so in the next book she wrote, she included a scene where an angry cop uses variations of f-ck approximately 15 times in a single paragraph. (It was actually pretty funny, but again, something I have to think about when listening out-of-doors).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert