Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 01-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Minor Rant - Cassettes to mp3s

I'm currently listening to a book by Rex Stout. I've checked it out from a library with OD. It was originally recorded onto cassettes. It was published by Books on Tape.

At the end of a part that would have been the first side of the tape it says, "This book is continued at this point on the other side of this cassette. Please reverse or turn the cassette over now."

At the beginning of the next part is says the name of the book, the author, the cassette number and either side A or B.

Now, I ask you, why when it was turned into mp3 format, couldn't someone have taken just a little bit of time and edited out those parts? It's so irritating to have the story broken up like that. I've come across books like this before, but this one seems especially bad.

Now, I do appreciate that I could get it from OD and so it cost me nothing other than my normal taxes to fund the library. I do appreciate that it has been converted to mp3, because I never would make it to the library to borrow the cassettes. But, I'm still frustrated!

OK, end of rant. I just needed to vent.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I've had the same issue with CD conversions, and I too wonder at the sloppiness of the end product.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawasteele View Post
Now, I do appreciate that I could get it from OD and so it cost me nothing other than my normal taxes to fund the library. I do appreciate that it has been converted to mp3, because I never would make it to the library to borrow the cassettes. But, I'm still frustrated!
I'm sure your library paid quite a bit for that book and it's unacceptable to have converted it that way. You should drop your library, OverDrive, and Books on Tape (Penguin Random House) an email expressing your dissatisfaction.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I've gotten that with both Overdrive books and Audible books, telling me to change to the next CD. What annoys me even more is when, with a break that comes mid-chapter, a sentence or two from the previous CD is repeated at the beginning of the next CD.

One book I got from Audible had the "continued on/from the next CD" edited out, but not the repeated sentences; I reported it to Audible and they looked into it, but after a while they said there was nothing they could do about it. Hmm, I just checked the listing and that was a Books on Tape book also.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
They should pull it. What do they mean there is nothing they can do?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #6
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm sure your library paid quite a bit for that book and it's unacceptable to have converted it that way. You should drop your library, OverDrive, and Books on Tape (Penguin Random House) an email expressing your dissatisfaction.
I will email them as you suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
They should pull it.
Yes, they could pull it. However, I really wouldn't want them to do that. I would like it to be fixed, but left up with warnings until it is. Nero Wolf's books are hard for me to come by with libraries. I love that series and would hate to see what little there available to me pulled, even if it has problems.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:24 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Pulling it usually results in the publishers fixing it.

Also they never remove access to anything you already purchased.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:53 PM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
For the book I complained about, Audible gave me a refund and removed the book from my account, but they are still selling it.

For another book I complained about--which had a different kind of issue, a gap in the text of about a page near the end--Audible gave me a refund and eventually a new, free corrected download, but, inexplicably, Audible pulled the book from its catalog and they still haven't reinstated it, months later. It's part of a series, and all the other books in the series are available at Audible. It's available at Downpour, too. 'Tis a puzzlement.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote