Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
arthurgannon
arthurgannon began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
Free download

Hello everyone. Im pleased to be a part of MobileRead. Here's my first question - please excuse any naivete. I tried to use 'caliber' and download books onto my store in anticipation of transferring to my Kindle 4 when I receive it . Some books (free) were easily downloaded, but I failed to download a free book from the Kobo store (it was Crime & Punishment by Fyod. Dost. & there was a green unlocked lock in the DRM section) Am I doing something wrong? The process doesn't seem as straightforward (to me) as Caliber suggests. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
arthurgannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:37 AM   #2
Starbreaker
Starbreaker began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
All Calibre does is organize books for you and transfer them to your e-reader. You still have to download the books from the individual sites. That's more of a problem with the website, I'm guessing. Google Books has a copy for download.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
The "Get Books" feature works well with some sites and not so well with others. With Kobo, it enables you to purchase a book, but the Kobo site just wants to add it to your Kobo library. This is not a problem with Calibre per se, but just an issue with the way the Kobo sites handles the request. Other sites will let you download directly to your computer.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
Two independent book sellers (the names of which I have at home...) sent me what I realized were links after accepting my credit card payments. Fortunately, I had downloaded the links to an easy-to-find directory. I doubleclicked on the links and each one took me back to the store and then opened the epub ebook I had bought in Adobe Digital Editions. The books were downloaded in the ADE subdirectory on my C drive (I use Windows XP at home). I renamed each link to indicate which book it linked to, then copied the ebooks themselves out of the ADE subdirectory to a better one. I tested to see they would still open, not being in the "right" place, but they did. In one case, a book was poorly formatted for my Ectaco JBL, so I opened it in Calibre and resaved it as an epub, with Calibre knowing about my JBL's preferences. The ebook then worked correctly.

So mainly I'm writing to note that some booksellers use what I can only call links to allow you to download, maybe as many times as you need to, so save those links
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote