Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
mmd10
mmd10 began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Question Video playback problems on PE

Hello advanced users, I am no computer genius and I really need help with my pocket edge. I can't seem to get videos to playback. It doesn't seem to matter if I launch from the "Youtube" app or browse from the net. Everytime I click on a video link I get the same error message "Cannot play video. Sorry this video cannot be played."

I tried playing the sample video that was preloaded and it worked. I also tried playing a video from a USB drive and it worked but I cannot play any videos from the net. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
mmd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
the edge uses flash light to play web and youtube videos, it could be that whatever net video's you're trying to watch needs a more recent version of flash light or full flash...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
mmd10

emusan, thank you for the reply. I've had this PE for about 7 months and I have never been able to view web or youtube videos since I got it. I wasn't too concerned since I actually got the PE for work but I thought it would help pass time while I'm in the hotel. I've tried registering on youtube and google thinking maybe I needed to be a registered user to see the videos on the PE (I never was asked to sign-in to watch videos on my laptop). Obviously that wasn't the case. Since I've tried to view at least 75 different videos and none worked I thought it must be a setting on the PE but none of the setting changes I made helped.

Have you ever been able to watch a youtube video on your PE?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
mmd10,

First, hello and welcome!

Second, have you upgraded your PE to Ermine? Also, have you installed the version of Adobe Flash that works? (I'll find the link for you if you need it.) Not that I'm convinced it helps much . . . .

The "Tube" app that came with the PE works just fine for me. "TV.com" also works. I don't worry much about videos on websites, but you should be able to at least get these 2 apps to work.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
attemptress
Enthusiast
attemptress began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
If you want youtube, you can also try "FreediYouTube Downloader." I think it's available on amazon appstore, as well as slideme. Rather than streaming, it usually downloads the video in which you are interested and stores it for later playback. I've found it works fairly well on Ermine. I can't recall for certain whether I tried it with Dingo (1.6), but I seem to recall using it before upgrading to ermine.
attemptress is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by attemptress View Post
If you want youtube, you can also try "FreediYouTube Downloader." I think it's available on amazon appstore, as well as slideme. Rather than streaming, it usually downloads the video in which you are interested and stores it for later playback. I've found it works fairly well on Ermine. I can't recall for certain whether I tried it with Dingo (1.6), but I seem to recall using it before upgrading to ermine.
FreediYouTube Downloader
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
mmd10

Filark and attemptress, hello and thank you for the welcome. Sorry it took so long to reply but I'm working in a very small town outside of Billings Montana and the cell coverage here is terrible. I don't have access to a wired connection so I have to run off of an aircard which has limited coverage.

No I haven't upgraded to Ermine (at least I don't know if that's what the last update was I ran). I did try to run an upgrade about two weeks ago and got a message saying I already had the latest upgrade. I don't know what Ermine is so I'm not sure how to verify if that's what's running on my PE.

As for the Adobe Flash player, I've tried to install it but haven't had much success there either. That is one thing I did notice when I would click on a video, the player would open but the only thing that would come up was the red box with the Flash player "f" in the center. I thought there was a problem with the Flash player so I tried to upgrade to a newer version but it didn't seem to upload.

I'll try to load the "FreediYouTube Downloader" that attemptress sent me the link to and see if that makes a difference. In the meantime, how do I upgrade to Ermine?
Old 07-07-2011, 12:38 AM   #8
mmd10

Gunnerp245, thank you for the link. I didn't realize it was from you the first time I looked at the thread. I appreciate you sending it.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:51 AM   #9
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
First, to see what firmware you have, look in Settings/About eDGe. You should find your Android version (probably 1.6) and your Build number (probably Dingo something).

To get the Ermine update see this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134237. Or take a look at the official instructions: https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=265.

If you have trouble, let us know.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #10
Triskalleon
Enthusiast
Triskalleon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, Montana,

I'm on day three of being a Pocket Edge user. When I got it, the Tube application would never load a video. After updating to 2.2 Ermine from the link here in the forum, which was very easy to do with a USB flash card, the Edge had an additional "YouTube" application in the list, and both it and the Tube application now work.

2.2 Froyo included some major improvement in the performance of the operating system, including on the Edge. It has some rough edges dealing with the SD card and it broke support for USB cellular modems! Overall, in my opinion there are more advantages than disadvantages to the update.
Triskalleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:30 AM   #11
mmd10

Filark, I tried 4 times to load the ermine update with no success. I downloaded the file successfully but everytime I change the name to "update.zip" like the instructions say, it converts the file into a zip folder. At first I thought that is what it should do so I put the thumb drive in my PE and followed the instructions to load the update. My PE seemed to be doing something different during start-up but never rebooted itself after about 20 minutes. So I shut it down and rebooted it. When it opened I went to the settings and checked the Andriod & build and they are still the same (1.6 & Dingo). So I tried a different thumb drive, downloaded the file again, renamed it and the same thing happened (three more times). I thought maybe since the instructions said to make sure it was on the Root of the thumb drive and not in a subdirectory maybe I needed to manually unzip the folder so it was only the files and not a folder but I can't unzip the folder. I keep getting an error message asking me to insert the last disc into the drive. Since I downloaded the file and don't have a disc I don't know what to do?????
Old 07-09-2011, 01:35 AM   #12
muranternet
Connoisseur
muranternet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3/Sony PRS-300/Nook Color running CM7/P eDGe
If your file download is incomplete, the PE won't tell you about it, just reboot aver and over. The full ermine update is 140MB or so. When you get it, see if you can open it just to make sure it's not corrupted. When you drop it into the thumb drive, put it in the root, make sure it's called update.zip and don't unzip it. One other things that seems to work is to load it from microSD, or (when I did it) make sure there is no microSD in the slot when you update.

For YouTube on Android I've had great success with an app called TubeMate. It's available in the Amazon market and downloads/converts very well. I haven't used the other app people above me have mentioned.
muranternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:55 AM   #13
mmd10

Frustrated with update!!!

OK, I checked it and it's 143 Mb and seems to be all there. I don't have a micro card and there isn't one in the slot either. I put it on a new clean thumb drive that has never been used yet. I did not un-zip it, I just transfered it onto the thumb drive. I put the drive in the PE, held the menu & flip buttons down, hit the power button and continued to hold the two buttons for 10 seconds then let it go about it's merry way. The light on the thumb drive came on during boot-up for a minute then went out for a couple of minutes then came back on and is still on. The PE booted up 18 minutes ago and I've been staring at it since. It just booted up as normal and is sitting there staring back at me. The light on the thumb drive is still lit but doesn't seem to be doing any updating. What am I doing wrong???
Old 07-09-2011, 02:02 AM   #14
muranternet
Connoisseur
muranternet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3/Sony PRS-300/Nook Color running CM7/P eDGe
That's pretty mysterious. The file opened fine in Windows/whatever?

I can't think of anything else except to reformat the thumb drive using FAT32 and trying again. The only other possibility (I can't remember the kernel version used by the PE) is to make sure the drive isn't formatted in 64kb allocation blocks. (There were some older Linux kernels that puked on a 64kb block.)

What's the brand/size of the thumb drive? Does it have something goofy like U3 on it (a useless security partition)? Is the PE plugged in when it updates? Some people have recommended that, although I admit I updated unplugged right after I charged my PE out of the box.
muranternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:13 AM   #15
mmd10

The last flash drive I tried is made by "iclick" and it doesn't have the "U3" or any other security on it. I'm not sure who made the others I tried, they don't have a manufacturers name on them. They were all 1Gb drives. Yes I did have the PE plugged in when I tried to update it. I just went back and tried to open the file again after it was renamed and now I get an error message telling me the file is corrupt???

I put the thumb drive in my laptop and tried to open it and got the same message "Please insert the last disk of the Multi-Volume set and click OK to continue."