Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #46
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Just for the record, I'm using the PMN Caecilia font suggested by Valloric in his excellent guide (at 0.9em) and, from the extensive testing I've made (I tried out about 30 different fonts, both serif and sans-serif), it's the best...

Yes I know I'm biased, but who isn't ?

;-)

Cheers,
David.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #47
gregcd
Connoisseur
gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-t1, prs-650 to sell
Im getting all kinds of ideas like matching the actual book/magazine font to the ebook font..

Caecilia sounds nice but expensive (above $100?!)

Perpetua and book antiquita are nice for a change (most people have it already installed).

Maybe the process of typing up the CSS could be replaced by a calibre GUI?
gregcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcd View Post
Glad other people like it.
This line will space out the text if it looks too dense:

Paste it at the end of the custom CSS in Calibre.
Actually, it depends if the paragraphs are using <p> or <div>. Best check the source and then fix the CSS after that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #49
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, it depends if the paragraphs are using <p> or <div>. Best check the source and then fix the CSS after that.
Code:
body {font-family: "Droid Serif"; line-height: 1.3 em;}
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
Code:
body {font-family: "Droid Serif"; line-height: 1.3 em;}
Doesn't always work there.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:25 AM   #51
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Quote:
Im getting all kinds of ideas like matching the actual book/magazine font to the ebook font..

Caecilia sounds nice but expensive (above $100?!)
True, it's quite expensive (not $100, €24) ; myself, I happened to have it already on an Adobe fonts CD...

Quote:
Perpetua and book antiquita are nice for a change (most people have it already installed).

Maybe the process of typing up the CSS could be replaced by a calibre GUI?
If you input the needed CSS in the default conversion options (Set default for conversion / Look & Feel), then you won't need to type it more than once...

However, I happened to have books already in ePub format, which I didn't want Calibre to mess with (I didn't want to loose whatever special formatting the editor used) ; in this case there is no easy way but to edit the ePub file directly, inserting the code into a CSS file.

FWIW, here is the code I use (the font files are stored in a /fonts directory on my PRS-505) :

Code:
@font-face {font-family: "Caecilia";font-weight: normal;font-style: normal;src: url(res:///Data/fonts/CaeciliaLTStd-Roman.otf);}
@font-face {font-family: "Caecilia";font-weight: bold;font-style: normal;src: url(res:///Data/fonts/CaeciliaLTStd-Bold.otf);}
@font-face {font-family: "Caecilia";font-weight: bold;font-style: italic;src: url(res:///Data/fonts/CaeciliaLTStd-BoldItalic.otf);}
@font-face {font-family: "Caecilia";font-weight: normal;font-style: italic;src: url(res:///Data/fonts/CaeciliaLTStd-Italic.otf);}

body {
    font-family: "Caecilia", serif;
    font-size:0.9em;
   }
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:37 AM   #52
nas_matko
nas_matko began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I tried above mentioned guide but I could't managed to get fonts right on Sony PRS-505.

I am able to get a different font up on the screen, but non english characters are still being encoded wrongly.

Is there anything I am missing?

Last edited by nas_matko; 06-15-2009 at 06:51 AM.
nas_matko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:39 AM   #53
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas_matko View Post
I tried above mentioned guide but I could't managed to get fonts right on Sony PRS-505.

I used ttf, could that be a problem?
not necessarily ; some ttf fonts should work. however it's true that not all fonts are created equal so using a font which is not built properly might cause problems. maybe try it again using one of the fonts specifically mentioned in this thread which are sure to work.

also, don't forget that this method requires you to output epub format ; it won't work for lrf.

let us know how you get on.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #54
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
not necessarily ; some ttf fonts should work.
Adobe ePub implementation on Sony works with OpenType fonts.

The extension "ttf" is misleading, as it is used for not only for "old" TrueType fonts, but also for for fonts in "new", OpenType format. All fonts that are distributed with extension "otf" should work on Sony.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #55
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
Adobe ePub implementation on Sony works with OpenType fonts.

The extension "ttf" is misleading, as it is used for not only for "old" TrueType fonts, but also for for fonts in "new", OpenType format. All fonts that are distributed with extension "otf" should work on Sony.
right, that is the technical explanation. thanks.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Yes, ADE on the 505 & 700 do with with both TrueType and OpenType fonts. I have used both and they work fine.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #57
nas_matko

I managed to get font on the screen, but encoding of noneglish charcter is still wrong.

I don't care as much about particular font, as long as encoding is correct.

Is there anything about encoding that needs to be set up?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Is this ePub one that you can attach here for someone to have a look at?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #59
nas_matko

I think I have solved the problem. I saved TXT as UTF-8 (originally it was ANSI) and I set manually encoding as UTF-8 and now chaarcters are encoded properly.

However I have increased base font size to 22pt and now I am experiencing another problem - page count is e.g. 379 but I have to turn 3 or 4 pages before counter actually moves one page forward. Moreover page breakes are sometime in the middle of page. How to fix this?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas_matko View Post
I think I have solved the problem. I saved TXT as UTF-8 (originally it was ANSI) and I set manually encoding as UTF-8 and now characters are encoded properly.

However I have increased base font size to 22pt and now I am experiencing another problem - page count is e.g. 379 but I have to turn 3 or 4 pages before counter actually moves one page forward. Moreover page breaks are sometime in the middle of page. How to fix this?
Page breaks are sometimes based on the amount of text between pages. So nothing is wrong with the page numbering. It's not the same as it is for LRF.

As for page breaks in the middle of the page, this is Mobile ADE and each flow has to be 300k or less. So if your document is one document without chapters or sections, you will end up with breaks in strange places.

Tags
epub, fonts