Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
Elomboko
Elomboko began at the beginning.

Device: none
What's the best if in Europe?

So I'll be getting one next month, from the US. I'm currently trying to decide where to go, which is admiteddly quite hard. I don't particularily want to go with the Kindle because of my distaste for Amazon (plus the much higher price), however if that's the only feasible option I'll go there.

Since I live and intend to stay in Europe, I'd like something that works best in Europe. Things I'm looking for is stable sideloading (so I can get books in my language), a touchscreen (preferably with physical buttons for switching) and the possibility to buy the books from the in-built store.

I've looked at the Nook, and I'm quite interested in it - it looks comfortable, has physical buttons and also there's the backlight version. However, from what I've read - lack of features in Europe, the screen is easily scratchable and it forgets your entire side-loaded collection on a reboot. This make me quite doubt whether I'd like to go with that - what features does it lack in EU and are the other issues realy?

Another possibility is the Paperwhite Kindle. I quite like the higher resolution of it. However, it has got no physical buttons, and a much higher price point.

What other options are available that are *good*? I've heard quite bad things about Kobo's screen, and I've no idea about the rest.
Elomboko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elomboko View Post
What other options are available that are *good*? I've heard quite bad things about Kobo's screen, and I've no idea about the rest.
Not sure where or what you've heard bad about Kobo screens. That's not an issue I've seen brought up to any degree. Take a gander at the Kobo sub-forum here.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Distaste for Amazon? Amazon have the best (English language) bookstore, and by far the best customer service in the industry. Why the distaste?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:48 AM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
If you intend to make use if your local public library you might want to check what devices work there. The advice I got from mine was "anything except a kindle".
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Sony.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
If you intend to make use if your local public library you might want to check what devices work there. The advice I got from mine was "anything except a kindle".
Yeah, that's basically it. But which country in Europe? There are a few to choose from...
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:32 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Yeah, that's basically it. But which country in Europe? There are a few to choose from...
All countries in Europe have adopted epub. As the OP said his original language, I presume he doesn't have English as his original language and only the Kindle reads Amazon's format and the Kindle only reads the Amazon format.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
All countries in Europe have adopted epub.
The Kindle totally dominates the British market. I mean totally - they probably have something like a 90%+ market share.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle totally dominates the British market. I mean totally - they probably have something like a 90%+ market share.
When talking about ebook formats and ebook readers, I don't put the British with the rest of Europe, simply because they compare better with the American market (same language).

I can say to any British who doesn't read "over the border" to buy a Kindle because he'll probably be able to find all books he wants there. I cannot say to any other European who doesn't read "over the border" to buy a kindle, as he probably won't be able to read any book he buys at his local store on that kindle.

(besides, the British are only part of Europe when they feel like it )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
All countries in Europe have adopted epub.
Another way of saying that would be that ePub is the prevalent format in countries in Europe that Amazon hasn't yet decided to try to dominate.
The UK was entirely ePub before Amazon turned their sights to us.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The UK was entirely ePub before Amazon turned their sights to us.
More a case of Sony completely blowing it, I think. They had the market sewn up at one point - PRS505 adverts everywhere. But they just seemed to give up and let Amazon take over without a fight.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Still Sony, if you can live without front-lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Distaste for Amazon? Amazon have the best (English language) bookstore, and by far the best customer service in the industry. Why the distaste?
A lot of people in the UK don't like huge corporations that avoid paying their taxes.

And then there's that closed business model that doesn't support epub.

Last edited by Rizla; 02-14-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
A lot of people in the UK don't like huge corporations that avoid paying their taxes.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
All countries in Europe have adopted epub. As the OP said his original language, I presume he doesn't have English as his original language and only the Kindle reads Amazon's format and the Kindle only reads the Amazon format.
All ebook-sellers in Denmark sell epubs, but they are protected using watermarks and are easily and legally converted to the Kindle format.

One ebook seller even has a detailed guide on how to do it using Calibre.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Off topic, but can kindle show these signs (čćđšž - serbo/croatian/bosnian/ languages use it). These are some special Latin alphabet letters.
As for Cyrillic alphabet (А а Б б В в Г г Д д Ђ ђ Е е Ж ж З з И и Ј ј К к Л л Љ љ М м Н н Њ њ О о П п Р р С с Т т Ћ ћ У у Ф ф Х х Ц ц Ч ч Џ џ Ш ш ).

I can read this but can kindle? Really interested.

As for OP question, I think epub reader is better if it cant read special letters of your language.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote