Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-11-2005, 03:16 PM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
HDTV (1920x1080) vs. DVD (720x480)

Have a look here where someone compares screenshots of Lord of the Rings taken from HD material against screenshots taken from DVD material.

My question: Do you consider HDTV a must-have technology in near future?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
JustinN
JustinN began at the beginning.

URL isnt working for me.

Quote:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /FOTRCompare/ on this server.
JustinN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2005, 03:15 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
404 error here now. Looks like he removed his page after you posted about it here, Tad.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:34 AM   #4
KevinCTofel
UMPC Enthusiast
KevinCTofel began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Q1P UMPC upgraded with 2 GB RAM
I can't see the screenshots either, but I can comment on the question.

I've had a CRT-based widescreen monitor capable of 1920 x 1080i since 11/2001. There is a world of difference between HD and SD (and even ED, which is 480p = DVD recordings today).

I get my HD content over the air for free, basically my local channels in Philadelphia, PA. The difference is staggering and once you have HD, you will never go back. People who have never seen HD come over and are completely blown away.

I'm clearly an "early adopter", but the future of TV is definitely HD.

KCT
http://www.kctsdigitalworld.com
KevinCTofel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:52 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've seen one episode of the new Battlestar Galactica series in HD resolution. It makes standard DVD look like VHS from yesterday.

What I am interested in is who will win the race: HD-DVD or Bluray DVD? HD is cheaper and only requires updates on existing DVD manufacturing machines vs. Bluray, which has a higher capacitiy, but is not compatible with old DVD manufacturing equipment.
Advert
Old 01-18-2005, 03:39 PM   #6
KevinCTofel
UMPC Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
I've seen one episode of the new Battlestar Galactica series in HD resolution. It makes standard DVD look like VHS from yesterday.
Depending on the resolution (720p or 1080i), this should have looked 2 to 5 times better than standard DVD, so no surprise there.

As far as HD-DVD vs. BluRay, it's hard to say. Time and time again the "better" technology doesn't become the market leader, think: Apple, BetaMax tapes, etc....

My take is that there are way too many DVD players out there for people to replace with BluRay players. I believe that DVD technology was the quickest tech adoption by consumers, so to replace all of the players isn't likely and would prohibit BluRay to a degree. In addition, HDTV adoption & purchase has been slower than anticipated, so it may be too early to tell.

KCT
http://www.kctsdigitalworld.com
Old 01-18-2005, 04:34 PM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I just watched HDTV for the first time this weekend (football playoff games). Oh my gosh!!!!! I had no idea. Yes, much better than DVDs, and so much better than "regular" cable feeds. Once you've seen it, it's the only way to go.

I can't understand why adoption is so slow, except that you have to be close to a broadcasting antenna or have digital cable. And you have to have a decent tv. And there's not a lot of programming yet. And people have no idea what it is or what you need to buy to have it. Okay... I see why it's taking a while.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:36 AM   #8
KevinCTofel
UMPC Enthusiast

24 minute podcast on HDTV

On my website, I recorded a 24 minute podcast on HDTV basics as well as HD info out of the recent CES show.

For those that are interested, here is the link where you can download the .mp3 file.

http://kctofel.blogspot.com/2005/01/...-01222005.html

It's only my 3rd podcast, so it doesn't sound "professionally done" just yet!
Old 01-25-2005, 04:35 PM   #9
Liqiud
Infinite Oblivion
Liqiud began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie PEG-UX50
They need to make dvds
that have HD tecknology built in
Liqiud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 03:30 PM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Liqiud: BluRay and HD-DVD (formerly called AOD) support HD very well. I think we will see the first (affordable) consumer devices by the end of this year.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:30 PM   #11
Liqiud
Infinite Oblivion
Liqiud began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie PEG-UX50
Cool,
I can't wait
Liqiud is offline   Reply With Quote