Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
tukatz
tukatz began at the beginning.

Device: none
Phone conversation with support

I finally spoke to a support person last night - after holding for a ridiculous amount of time. Here is what I learned.

The Nook Audio Player should work like a normal MP3 player but at present does not. When a software patch has fixed it you will initially see the names of sub-folders you have created under My Music. For example, I used my laptop to copy albums into separate sub-folders. When you tap on an album title you will see a list of the tracks. When you play a track the player will go on to the next track an on through the album. Oh, and the scroll bar you see at the right edge of the nav window when it displays tracks with the current version of software is counter-intuitive. You don't sweep your finger DOWN to scroll, you sweep your finger UP, and it does work now. Unfortunately, at present you will see a random list of tracks from different albums.

The Bookmark feature does not work for eBooks you have downloaded from your library, but the next patch should fix that. Hopefully, at some point the software will be patched so that when a book expires or is returned early the file will be deleted from your Nook. At present you have to reconnect it to your PC and delete it yourself.

If your Nook is stolen you could be in big trouble. In order to purchase books from B&N (even free books) you must have a credit card on file. A thief could purchase a library full of books with your Nook. However, if you call B&N and tell them you have lost your Nook they can immediately unregister it. Then no further purchase can be made. If you later find it you can re-register it. There is no capability to password protect your Nook at this time.

They are adding support staff, so at some point you won't have to hold forever to speak to someone.
tukatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
AZMerf
AZMerf began at the beginning.

Device: nook (Feb 12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukatz View Post
If your Nook is stolen you could be in big trouble. In order to purchase books from B&N (even free books) you must have a credit card on file. A thief could purchase a library full of books with your Nook. However, if you call B&N and tell them you have lost your Nook they can immediately unregister it. Then no further purchase can be made.
What if you don't purchase from the nook (you only purchase online through website), would it be OK then or is it because it's linked to the same account? What if you change your password on the site?

P.S. Sorry don't have one yet so I am not sure how all this works and therefore maybe totally off base with the question.
AZMerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
JoelMBenge
JoelMBenge began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook
You have to have a CC on file with B&N to register the nook to an account. There isn't an option to say "Only purchase books online".

My suggestion is to get a very low-limit (say a thousand bucks) card or debit card attached to a low-balance account.
JoelMBenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
AZMerf
AZMerf began at the beginning.

Device: nook (Feb 12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelMBenge View Post
My suggestion is to get a very low-limit (say a thousand bucks) card or debit card attached to a low-balance account.
Typically, I don't worry about it when it's other people's money (e.g., Discover). That's why I have credit cards. However, it could be inconvenient so that's a good suggestion. Seems like a pretty big security flaw not to allow you to disable or provide a password or something each time you use it.
AZMerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
What I would like to see is a allowance feature. You can only purchase books as long as you have money on your account. You can fill your account with either gift certificates or credit cards. That way you can keep track of what you want to spend each month and have that added security. Works great too if you give one to your kid.
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert