Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #1
MrBook69
MrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
How to do a factory reset ?

I try long hole press, with or without short or long button press without sucess.

I someone has a magic spell....
MrBook69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBook69 View Post
I try long hole press, with or without short or long button press without sucess.

I someone has a magic spell....
There is the possibility that your readers battery is depleted. Try charging it for a bit and then while connected to the charger repeat the pin hole reset...

If that does not work can you post a picture of the screen that's it locked on... could be a broken screen that would not allow for the reset to be seen.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
MrBook69
MrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipse

The battery was full.

The "lock screen" is the kobo smile with the 5 squares under. The squares flash one by one white to black, as a boot... but never stopped !
Old 07-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If you've had the marching squares for a while, the battery may have started full, but now be empty or nearing empty.

Charge it fully.
Pinhole reset.
If nothing happens, try turning it off with a long power-button hold (regardless of what you see on the screen), then hold the paperclip in the reset hole while turning the reader on. Wait. If nothing happens, repeat.

What were you doing with the reader just before this happened? Could it have had the cable pulled out without being ejected properly from the computer, or could it have been updating itself by wifi?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
MrBook69

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
If you've had the marching squares for a while, the battery may have started full, but now be empty or nearing empty.
When I plug it, it try to start and I've again the marching squares for a while.

Quote:
If nothing happens, try turning it off with a long power-button hold (regardless of what you see on the screen), then hold the paperclip in the reset hole while turning the reader on. Wait. If nothing happens, repeat.
Nothing more

Quote:
What were you doing with the reader just before this happened? Could it have had the cable pulled out without being ejected properly from the computer, or could it have been updating itself by wifi?
I put a new KoboRoot.tgz with a libnickel.so.1.0.0 in which I changed 5 digits.
Advert
Old 07-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Why were you holding back information to make this thread a short mystery or soap opera? I would open the Kobo mini remove internal SD card and put new image on the SD card for a sure easy fix. This thread should be at Kobo Developer's Corner. They might have fix that doesn't involve removing internal SD card.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=247
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@filmo: I doubt there is a fix that does not require removing the card. Remember if the unit does not complete the boot process then you can't mount the device via USB to a PC and thus there is no access at all to the card via USB.

@MRBook69: Just wondering how you edited the so file? What tool did you use?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Your right, about only other way to eliminate the problem is put in garbage.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Even with a corrupt libnickel.so.1.0.0 it should be possible to do a factory reset. This is what a factory reset is for. Did you make sure that the device is really powered off before trying the reset? Hold the power button for 20 seconds and do then the factory reset.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:07 AM   #10
MrBook69

I updated the libnickel.so.1.0.0 with FrhedPortable and the KoboRoot.tgz with 7zip.

I didn't talk about it because I think the factory reset should work all the time.

Yes I tried the factory reset after a long hold of power button, then insert paperclip, turn on the mini and release the paperclip.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

MrBook69: You still haven't said anything about whether you've charged it fully before trying the factory reset procedure. It's really hard to help when you ignore part of the recommendations - then we don't know whether you've actually followed them or not.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
MrBook69,

this might perhaps not help in your case. I tell it anyway.
I once was in a similar situation. I tried to install a modified libnickel.so.1.0.0. The squares started dancing and after a while they stopped. Powering off and on, and also a paper clip reset, took me exactly to the same point. After powering on and off several times, I realised that the device was responsive to touch. When the squares stopped dancing and I touched the screen, they started again to dance. I pressed the home button and the home screen appeared for a moment, but was again replaced by the dancing squares. I plugged the device to the PC, and the connection screen showed for a short time and was replaced again by the dancing squares. I tapped at the place where the "connect" button used to be, and the device connected to the PC. I installed the original libnickel.so.1.0.0 and it stuck again at the dancing squares. I repeated the whole procedure and everything was o.k. I don't know how to explain this. Then I re-installed my modified libnickel.so.1.0.0 (exactly the same file as at the beginning, I didn't change anything) and everything went without problem.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #13
MrBook69

About battery, it was fully charged before I start to "play" with my update. So I don't think battery is down now. Several times, I plug it on computer (and on wall), but each time the Mini starts automaticly then keep on the marching squares with the light blinking on green. And when I do a long power button hold to turn off, I never had the red light, so I don't know if battery is charging.
My update on the nickel file, is just to change the min/max value for the bottom bar (just change digits by another, no remove or add characters).
Old 07-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBook69 View Post
About battery, it was fully charged before I start to "play" with my update. So I don't think battery is down now.

Well, whatever. You've had multiple people here say to CHARGE YOUR DEVICE. Feel free to ignore it and carry on.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
MrBook69

I don't ignore these advices. I just ask me if the Mini is charging without the red light.