Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Bloomberg: Borders May file for Bankruptcy

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...next-week.html

The promised $550M funding from GE Capital is contingent on Borders getting $300M worth of concessions from publishers and creditors.

In a sign of how likely that is, Borders is preparing to file for Chapter 11 and close 150 of their 650 stores.

Borders stock dropped 26%, B&N stock moved up 7%.

The death spiral moves to the next level as Borders' staring contest isn't making anybody blink just yet.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-02-2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Added "May"
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
A shame about Borders but I'm glad to see B&N stock on the rise a bit.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
This is hardly a surprise. The question was not if Borders would file for bankruptcy, but when. They are basically out of options.

I do note that the offer by the hedge fund that owns about 40% of Borders to help find the money for Borders to acquire Barnes and Noble seems to have evaporated. No surprise there, either: I couldn't see them providing the funding alone, but couldn't imagine why anyone else might pony up.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The hedge fund's offer to merge Borders with B&N was bizarre -- but then none of us knows the actual details. I doubt if the fund's interest in Borders has evaporated: the GE Capital deal, too, shows there are levers to pull that seem attractive to new money. (Hands up anyone here willing to toss $1000 into the kitty to buy shares?) But it sure doesn't look pretty and, while the word is over-used in both political and financial circles, desperate does seem to apply. At least for those currently in charge and with current cash invested.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The hedge fund's offer to merge Borders with B&N was bizarre -- but then none of us knows the actual details. I doubt if the fund's interest in Borders has evaporated: the GE Capital deal, too, shows there are levers to pull that seem attractive to new money. (Hands up anyone here willing to toss $1000 into the kitty to buy shares?) But it sure doesn't look pretty and, while the word is over-used in both political and financial circles, desperate does seem to apply. At least for those currently in charge and with current cash invested.
The only motive I could see for the hedge fund offer was to do what hedge funds do: merge the enterprises, eliminate redundancies, close stores, trim staff, try to firm up the balance sheet, and drive the stock price up to a point where they could cash out at a profit. The longer term health of the merged entity would be another matter, but once out, they wouldn't care.

Border's stock price did rise briefly on the announcement, and I suspect the hedge fund took the opportunity to reduce their holdings while it did, but I couldn't really see the offer as serious - Borders was already on life support, and a worsening of its condition would simply move the idea from "highly unlikely" to "flatly impossible". It's condition worsened, so...

If I were the hedge fund, my interest would be disposing of my holdings in Borders Group with as little additional loss as I could manage. With Borders' stock dropping 36% to .47/share, that won't be easy. Hard to imagine who would take it off their hands, or why.

Bankruptcy will make the required store closings easier, which is probably one major incentive to attempt it.

But yes, I think "desperate" is an applicable term.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I have unused $50 Borders gift card ...
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:11 AM   #7
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
I'm using my cards up.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #8
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
The only bookstore around is Borders, which is about a 1/2 hour from where I live and the only Barnes and Noble is an hour away. Although I read from my ereader I still go to the bookstore and buy books and love going to a real live bookstore. I hop they don't close mine down, lol!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I have unused $50 Borders gift card ...
Congratulations. You own the company.

Now, about those debts....
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #10
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post

I'll check the score board, but you may have just won the internet!
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just used my $25 gift card today... nearly all the books on my wishlist were either unavailable at my local Borders (with a 4 week order wait), or they were significantly more expensive than Amazon ($9+). So I just went to the store and browsed until I found something. Then I had to wait for 20 minutes in line because there was only one cashier. Then I was accosted on the way out and had my (very small) purse checked for theft. (Did I really look that shady, Mr. Rent-a-Cop?) So long, Borders, and thanks for not much!

Here's an explanation of the lead-up to the probable bankruptcy.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #12
blt50203
Rogue Bookseller
blt50203 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blt50203 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blt50203 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad, iPhone, B&N nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post

blt50203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #13
shorttimer1
Enthusiast
shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB X3 Kindle Fire HD 32GB
Looks like next Mon-Tue according to the WSJ

Looks like Borders will file next Monday or Tuesday according to the Wall Street Journal. I would make certain your gift cards are used up.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41536256...siness-retail/
shorttimer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:36 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorttimer1 View Post
Looks like Borders will file next Monday or Tuesday according to the Wall Street Journal. I would make certain your gift cards are used up.
And if you want a $100 Kobo, get it now; because Walmart sells them for $129.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote