Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-25-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
iLiad Firmware with long-awaited Mobipocket Reader (almost)

Thanks to our member VillageReader who was the first to report that iRex has released a long-awaited firmware upgrade for the iLiad e-reader. Upgrade 2.9.5 includes the following new features and bug fixes (update: just received word from Matthijs that the Mobipocket Viewer is not yet included, but will be very shortly after this release (rumored as early as next week)):
  • Mobipocket Viewer: This viewer will give the ability to read books and documents protected with the popular DRM format as well as offline RSS feeds. More details will follow.
  • Full GPL Compliance of the software running on your iLiad: The Linux kernel is now 100% identical to what we’ve published online.
  • System prepared for Recovery function: A way for the end-user to go back to the iRex-supplied working software version using a CF card. The actual recovery software is sent as a separate software update.
  • Bug fix for a minor bug in the WiFi drive has been resolved which should make software upgrades seamless from the next releases onwards; specific with automatic restarting and reconnecting to iDS using WiFi.

Unlike previous upgrades, this one will actually destroy all the data on your reader. Therefore you must make sure to backup all your documents beforehand through the iLiad Companion Software (do not use the Companion software, it does not work with this update as intended. Instead connect your iLiad via USB to copy all files and folders from the iLiad to your computer).

update 2: apparently the upgrader is not 100% foolproof with custom registry files (er_registry.txt). For more check out Scotty's comments in this thread.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
Mobipocket is not yet in there, although you had to carefully read the email to spot that.

See http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=1206 for more details.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the hint, Matthijs. First post edited accordingly.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Alex, you should also mention that iRex says NOT to use the companion software to back up the iLiad. Apparently when you hook your now empty iLiad back up to the companion software it deletes everything you backed up since it is now missing from the iLiad!

BTW their 2.9.5 er_registry.txt upgrade script also seems to not have been well crafted either. If you have updated your er_registry.txt then you need to be VERY CAREFUL about applying this update. In fact you might want to go back to a backup of your original er_registry.txt prior to the upgrade.

Otherwise you may be waiting for them to release their CF flasher (or sending your iLiad back for a reflash.)

Last edited by scotty1024; 04-25-2007 at 01:03 PM.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Heh, nice catch, scotty1024.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Arggg... very nice indeed! Thank you for the pointer, Scotty.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #7
drazvan
drazvan is on a distinguished road

Another thing to note is that recent units shipped out by iRex already have the 2.9.5 software installed. Mine came about 10 days ago and it has 2.9.5 on it already.
drazvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:19 PM   #8
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Alex, I also suggest you add a warning for those using 3rd party software about er_registry.txt (they may not read this far down before committing themselves).

If that file gets too mangled you get a boat anchor. The thing I find totally fascinating is that their script fails to properly handle a er_registry.txt file hacked by the iDS supplied Shell Hack!

Now how embarrassing is that?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Scotty, what procedure do you suggest in this case? Writing back the original er_registry.txt before executing the update?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
My er_registry was hacked quite a bit. I didn't have any problems with the upgrade...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:58 PM   #11
scotty1024
Banned

Yes, their script for upgrading the er_registry.txt doesn't properly check for the existence of certain blocks, such as the SHELL block (and the FBReader)

I suspect they just kept extending my original shell hack and as was pointed out in Jurassic Park: if you don't make the investment to own the technology, the technology eats you.

I've also noticed FBReader's font handling is negatively impacted by 2.9.5 (it does CHM files). My emacs is not working, the TI Calculator Emulator forces one to reset the iLiad. M still hasn't put the !@#$ XBM .so into the distribution so Sylpheed Claws is unhappy.

OK, time to tap my shoes together and whisper "there is no place like the Sony Reader"...
Old 04-25-2007, 01:59 PM   #12
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
My er_registry was hacked quite a bit. I didn't have any problems with the upgrade...
You didn't notice duplicate FBREADER blocks? Duplicate SHELL blocks? (I assume you have both of those setup)
Old 04-25-2007, 02:23 PM   #13
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
You didn't notice duplicate FBREADER blocks? Duplicate SHELL blocks? (I assume you have both of those setup)
I didn't, but I have been messing with my er_registry since I've updated. I may have deleted it.

Your font issue may be related to the fact that the settings for fbreader were stored in the home directory. My chm's look just fine...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:22 PM   #14
bedwere
Enthusiast
bedwere began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Can still I use the ipdf reader with power saving after I upgrade to 2.9.5?
bedwere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:25 PM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I think I'll wait for the CF reflash function before upgrading, unless someone can think of a compelling reason to go earlier than that.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote