Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
yasmeen57
yasmeen57 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Sharing my calibre library

Hi to you all..
I tried to search for my subject but didn't know what to write there, so if this question has been asked before, please do forgive me

Ok, I am a compulsive collector of books and I have been enjoying adding them to Calibre. Now the question is: if my sons and husband install calibre, how can they get the library I have made to their calibre and use it immediately for searching, reading and converting, and not make their own?

Thanks a million as always....
yasmeen57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
Landrovan
Enthusiast
Landrovan began at the beginning.

Device: dr800sg
If they are on the same computer, just put the same folder as the library directory. If they are on other computer you will have to share you calibre folder.
Landrovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
yasmeen57

No, there are on 3 different computers .. so how do I do that? just give them a copy of my database calibre library and it works or how?
Old 10-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You can easily give them there own copy of the database as long as they do not intend to update it. Basically you need to copy everything in the Calibre library computer. The install calibre on each machine and point each instance to the copy on that machine.

The other possibility is that if the computers are networked, then you can share out the library on your computer and the others can use it across the network.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Landrovan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasmeen57 View Post
No, there are on 3 different computers .. so how do I do that? just give them a copy of my database calibre library and it works or how?
Wich os are you using?
Old 10-19-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
yasmeen57

hi..

first thanks for the replies.. second, a couple of questions :

itimpi: What do you mean by "point each instance to the copy on that machine"?

Landrovan: I don't know what OS is.

guys.. i use computers exactly the same way women drive cars, they can be excellent drivers but they know nothing about the mechanics... so can you pleaaaaaaaaaaase be patient with me? This project is very dear to my heart and I want to share it with the three most important ppl in my life.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
As for the OS, he is asking... are you using Windows XP, Windows Vista, a Mac...
As for pointing to the copy he means that you can copy the entire directory from your computer to the other computers... when you install Calibre on the other computers and the install program ask where you want to save the library just select the directory that you copied.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
yasmeen57

oh God I am embarrassed now.. OS (Operating System), hehehehehe... ok.. I use Windows XP. Now I get it.. I will try it in the next couple of days with my husband's computer.. and will let you know.

itimpi, Landrovan and rcuadro.. thank you ever so much, you are so very kind

Old 10-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #9
Landrovan
Enthusiast

In windows XP, when you right-click on a folder and select Properties, a new window appear. In this window you have a "share" tab. In this tab you can let the folder be shared by everyone on the network. What itimpi was saying is that if you do that on your library directory, all of your other computer will have access to this folder. So they could point Calibre to this shared folder. So everyone will be using the same file and do their modification on the same database.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:20 PM   #10
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
When sharing the database you need to be careful that the other users don't try to update at the same time. You can have odd things happen, including corrupting the database.

You could always give them read-only access (there's an option for that when you set up the directory to be shared) if they don't need to update the database.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:20 AM   #11
yasmeen57

Well.. I don't want to share and I can't share since my sons are in Canada and when I finish this project (which will take me a life time), I want to give it to them to add it to their computers.. that is the whole idea .. I could share with my husband though if we have network but we don't. So I will try with him to install calibre, give him a copy of what is done so far in my calibre library and see from there what happens.. I will let you know so if it doesn't work, maybe you could further help me. Thanks a million to you all.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:58 AM   #12
Landrovan
Enthusiast

At that distance between the computer, using a internet storage like dropbox might do the trick. www.getdropbox.com
Old 10-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Gettin' way too deep in here guys.

Sounds like she doesn't want to get into any networking or sharing or any of that, just wants to make a copy of the Calibre library and put it on a different computer.

yasmeen57, I was kinda wanting to test this myself, so I just did it. I have my desktop and an netbook both running windows xp. Here's what I did.

Install the same version of Calibre on the Netbook (0.6.18 in this case). Then you want to copy your calibre library to the new machine(netbook). The calibre library is generally located in your user area (e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\Kenny\Calibre Library). You can check this by looking in Calibre under "Preferences" - the first entry under General will show you where the library is located. Copy this entire directory and put it in place of the default library on the new machine (copy it and change the location of the library in the new computer if you prefer - there is a browse button next to the url in the preferences) once you set it, click 'OK' and you're done.

Of course as I'm sure you know any changes made on each machine from that point forward will be for that machine only.

Hope that makes sense. If not, just ask.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #14
yasmeen57

kennyc

That is exactly what i want to do... give a copy of my calibre library to my husband and sons. I will definitely try this as soon as my husband install calibre on his computer. Seems like a breeze... thank you so much.

I will definitely check back with any of you again if it doesn't work.. you all have been very kind and patient. I have to mention this, mobileread is an amazing site .. people are so very helpful, kind and very patient, especially with people like me who are totally (duh)
Old 10-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #15
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Ahh. Now I understand. As kennyc said, you can copy the library to as many other computers as you want.

You could also install the library on an external usb key or hard drive. That external drive can then be taken from computer to computer. If you want to send it to your sons, they can install Calibre and access the books as well (respecting copyright laws of course).

The advantage to this method is changes or updates are kept with the books on the external drive. Also, you can copy the data to a second external drive to act as a backup.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote