Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
soloist66
Enthusiast
soloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle PW11, iPad Air
Can I Add "Days Remaining" column to Calibre GUI?

Hi. I have a SONY PRS-650. Occasionally, I borrow books from the NYPL and use Calibre to download the book to my device.

I would like to add a column to the Calibre gui that shows the number of days remaining on a particular borrowed book. I see such a field is available in the Sony Reader Library app and the information is also displayed beneath the borrowed book's thumbnail on the device itself. But I'd also like to see it (as another reminder to hurry up and finish reading) on Calibre -- since I exclusively use Calibre to download eBooks to my device.

I've had a look at the "Add Your Own Columns" functionality on Calibre and am a bit stumped as to how to proceed. Would someone know whether it's possible to create such a field on Calibre? If so, how?
soloist66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
No. Getting that information requires mucking with the DRM information to find the rights, and nothing in calibre does this. I don't know if it is even possible to do, as getting that information might require registering with ADE and decrypting the book.

What I would do if I were you is make a date custom column and put the due date in it. You can then sort by that column to see the check-in order, and you can use searche to find books with check-in dates in the next few days. Something like the search #checkin_date:>-5daysago will find any checkin date within 5 days of today. The '-5' makes it a future reference, minus 5 days from today. Making it a saved search will save some time in the future.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
soloist66
Enthusiast
soloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Chaley, your suggestion of creating a custom field, adding the due date and creating a saved search based upon that custom field works for me. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2011, 05:50 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Note that with 0.8.7, it is possible to color a column based on the difference between two dates. Assume your column is called #mydate. The following advanced coloring rule will return the color red if #mydate is within 5 days of today.
Code:
program: 
  t=days_between(field('#mydate'), today());
  test(t, cmp(t, 5, 'red', '', ''), '')
Go to preferences/look and feel/coloring to create the advanced coloring rule.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:46 AM   #5
soloist66
Enthusiast

Smile

Many thanks, indeed chaley. This is really very helpful...and gives me ideas for other custom fields!
Advert