Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 02:28 AM   #1
jjoensuu
jjoensuu began at the beginning.

Device: None
Question Retaining annotations when e.g. lending book

Hi all

I have a question about annotating documents, and whether annotations are actually retained on the documents when the book is transferred to another device.

Not that I have any ebook reader yet, me and my wife are still on the planning stage, thinking that it would be nice to have one but wondering which one we should buy (we thought of buying the same type to both us).

One reader we have been considering is the Spring Design "Alex".

Would anyone know if the annotations I make to a book are saved in the book somehow, so that they are visible in the book when it is transferred from e.g. my device to my wifes device?

I know that for example Adobe Acrobat Reader has a mechanism through which some documents can be annotated and the annotation can be saved with the document. Is that the mechanism used by the ereaders?

Thanking in advance for any help...
jjoensuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:03 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
With the Amazon Kindle, annotations that you make in books that you buy from Amazon are stored on their server, and will be transferred to any other Kindle or reading app to which you transfer the book.

That's the only example I can think of of transferrable annotations.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
jjoensuu
jjoensuu began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thank you for your reply, Harry. I had also sent an email to Onyx & iRiver support departments, as both of them have a reader that is of interest to me.

From Onyx they replied with that their Boox reader saves annotations in a separate file, and that this holds true also for pdf files. From iRiver the reply was that the pdf annotations made with the "Cover Story" device are saved in the pdf. In the question I had sent to both of these companies I had specifically asked about pdf annotations (and in case of iRiver I explained I was interested of the "Cover Story"), so that is the reason why the reply from iRiver only mentioned how it was for that file format in Cover Story.

I do not know how iRiver Cover Story handles other annotations.
jjoensuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
The Kindle also saves your annotations for every document (not just the Amazon purchases) in a separate file on your reader, but does not back up or sync them unless they're for Amazon-bought books.

However, you can copy the annotations files yourself between Kindles and Kindle for PC/Mac apps and they will be perfectly accessible when you open a copy of the corresponding document on the new device.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote