Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-10-2006, 11:07 AM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
More thoughts on CONNECT problems

This may have been covered, but can't find anything.

As one of the many reasons I wanted the Reader is that I have vision problems and need large print. In the horizontal mode on the Reader, it is just barely large enough, so am satisfied. Wish, like the old Rocket eBook, could download different fonts and point sizes, but can't have everything.

As Sony does tout the Reader as helpful to people with vision problems, what in the world were they thinking with the CONNECT Reader and with the store?

In both, the type size is way too small, and there is no way to enlarge it. Without my trusty magnifying glass, could not read it at all.

It is odd that when you go to the store, even though can enlarge the type on any other website with Firefox, can't do it here.

One hint if anybody has same problem. To search for books to buy, just go to the regular CONNECT website (http://ebooks.connect.com/). Here you can enlarge the screen, search or browse for books, read the descriptions and make a list of what you want. Then go back to the software to order the books.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Geoff,

I'm sure you're aware of this, but if you upload your own content as RTF files, you can make the text as big as you want. 24pt or above gives much the same result as a "large print" paper book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I am planning to give a Reader to my in-laws this season -- they are both in their mid 80s and he loves electronic gadgets. (So far he is on his 5th computer, 2nd camera, 1st mp3 player, 1st VHS-DVD combo copy unit, ...well you get the picture.)

I have already set up about 50 books for them in in RTF with large print as the standard. In early trials with my wife everything is looking great.

I am hoping to set up some RSS feeds of his magizines next year, again in large print.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:39 PM   #4
JohnB
Enthusiast
JohnB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, iPAQ 4700, Rocket Ebook, BlackBerry
Try IE 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff
It is odd that when you go to the store, even though can enlarge the type on any other website with Firefox, can't do it here.
I agree - it's VERY annoying to have HTML content that you cannot resize.

I'm also annoyed that I can't reduce the margin size with purchased books on the Sony reader - what a waste of pixels.

Slightly off-topic, if you haven't tried the latest version of Internet Explorer, you should check it out. Besides tabs (like Firefox), it allows you to change the size of EVERYTHING - not just text, but images and Flash content. Just today, I was able to fill the 1920x1080 screen in our living room with the normally non-sizable Flash games on the Sesame Street web-site for my 3-year old.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:38 AM   #5
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff
As Sony does tout the Reader as helpful to people with vision problems, what in the world were they thinking with the CONNECT Reader and with the store?

In both, the type size is way too small, and there is no way to enlarge it. Without my trusty magnifying glass, could not read it at all.

Geoff,

I looked at WinXP's Accessibility Options control panel and was surprised to find no screen magnification features (they'd better have it built into Vista).

At my university, our computer labs use ZoomText, but that product costs $395 So, I looked around on the Web, and found this site, which lists a lot of free/shareware options. Perhaps one of these utilities will help.

Oh, and IF Connect gets ported to the Mac, screen magnification is built into the OS.

Last edited by William Moates; 12-11-2006 at 05:51 AM. Reason: changed "usability control panel" to "Accessibility Options control panel"
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2006, 05:12 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
XP does have built-in magnifier. See here:
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/trai...ierturnon.aspx
You can also start Magnifier from the Utility Manager (Win+U).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:35 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Windows has always had the "ZoomIn" tool - right back as far as the days of Windows 3. It doesn't, however, have a facility to magnify the entire screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:48 AM   #8
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
Ah. I stand corrected. (While sitting here at the computer.) When I looked in the control panels, I thought it would be under Accessibility Options, but it wasn't.

Silly me.

I was expecting all the accessibility features at one location. It would make them more--you know--accessible.

Last edited by William Moates; 12-11-2006 at 05:52 AM.
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:12 AM   #9
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moates
I looked at WinXP's Accessibility Options control panel and was surprised to find no screen magnification features (they'd better have it built into Vista).
Thanks, William and all the others. As pointed out, WinXP does have several features that enlarge the icons, text, menus, etc, all of which I've used. These work very well.

Also, while online with Firefox, all one has to do is hit CTRL and the + key, and the entire screen is enlarged, as many times as one desires. Ditto with a minus key to reduce.

So, this solves all my online and offline problems. Still, with good old Sony's software, both the Reader program and the store, there is no way at all to make the type or images any larger.

I guess nobody at Sony ever bothers to use the system or try it out. As I noted in the OP, it is ironic, inasmuch as they tout the Reader's large type as being helpful to the vision impaired. Ah, well...
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:45 PM   #10
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
If anything it seems that the CONNECT software disconnects the visual aids built in to the OS, the browser, and the mice software (new MS mouse drivers also have a magnify feature.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote