Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 03:48 PM   #31
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjones View Post
The menu for tomorrow:
A 26 lb turkey
Sausage stuffing balls
Mashed potatoes
Turkey gravy
Cranberry Sauce
Sauerkraut and Polish Kielbasa
Baked macaroni and cheese
Green beans
Corn
Broccoli
Dinner rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Sugar Cookies

I'll be up at 4am putting the turkey in the oven.
and what time are you eating!?!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #32
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
The menu for tomorrow:
A 26 lb turkey
Sausage stuffing balls
Mashed potatoes
Turkey gravy
Cranberry Sauce
Sauerkraut and Polish Kielbasa
Baked macaroni and cheese
Green beans
Corn
Broccoli
Dinner rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Sugar Cookies

I'll be up at 4am putting the turkey in the oven.
Just you on your own then?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #33
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I think y'all are cooking your turkeys too long! even a 26 pound turkey only needs to cook 6 and a half to 7 and change hours and unless you are having thanksgiving brunch or lunch, you're going to end up with some overdone birds! here's the goodhousekeeping link which should help. if you have a thermometer, you want your bird at 175, if you don't I always rely on the leg test... see if it pulls away from the body easily.

I'll be happy to PM my cell number if anyone needs last minute texting help!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Tom, the people of St. Augustine, Florida, claim that the Spanish who landed there were the first, but I forget the date.
The date I've seen is September 8, 1565, but that would make it more than two decades after the Spanish Thanksgiving in Texas in May of 1541. I understand that there has been some controversy and both groups have staked their claims to being first.

I don't think any historian would deny that the Pilgrims were Johnny-come-VERY-latelies to the whole Thanksgiving thing, however. They were not the first, and they weren't even the first to celebrate in English!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #35
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I think y'all are cooking your turkeys too long! even a 26 pound turkey only needs to cook 6 and a half to 7 and change hours and unless you are having thanksgiving brunch or lunch, you're going to end up with some overdone birds! here's the goodhousekeeping link which should help. if you have a thermometer, you want your bird at 175, if you don't I always rely on the leg test... see if it pulls away from the body easily.

I'll be happy to PM my cell number if anyone needs last minute texting help!
We usually want to eat about 3 p.m. We have "linner" for Thanksgiving, LOL. The USDA guidelines say 4 1/2 to 5 hours for a 20 - 24 lb. bird, mine's barely 20, so I'm going to go with 4 1/2. That won't be too awful. We're on a second shift schedule here, Chris works 3 - 11 p.m. or 1 a.m. and I work mainly 5 p.m. -midnight, so we sleep later than "normal" people. Early for me is 10 a.m. So I figure, set the alarm for ten, wrestle turkey into oven, go back to bed for an hour or so (if I'm not awake after wrestling the turkey). That gives him coming out about 2:30 - while he's resting I can throw the dressing and dessert in. We'll probably end up eating around 3:30 with that schedule, which is good enough. I might throw everything back an hour, even, to allow for Chris sleeping late and therefore eating breakfast late, so he'll be hungry.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 07:45 AM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thappy Hanksgiving, everone!

Old 11-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #37
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I don't think any historian would deny that the Pilgrims were Johnny-come-VERY-latelies to the whole Thanksgiving thing, however. They were not the first, and they weren't even the first to celebrate in English!
The Pilgrims are portrayed as celebrating with the Indians. I wonder if that was true, and if so, I wonder if they were the first to do that.

I know that in the case of St. Augustine, what the Spanish did occurred immediately upon arrival. They were thanking God for the safe voyage rather than for the bountiful harvest.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #38
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
The Pilgrims are portrayed as celebrating with the Indians. I wonder if that was true, and if so, I wonder if they were the first to do that.

I know that in the case of St. Augustine, what the Spanish did occurred immediately upon arrival. They were thanking God for the safe voyage rather than for the bountiful harvest.
From my understanding, the only thing safe about the voyage was that SOME of them arrived somewhere that they didn't expect to be.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #39
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

From: http://williamsburgsrealestate.com/2...-thanksgiving/

Quote:
[W]atching this debate with almost a discernible smirk are native americans.

“The concept of Thanksgiving was not alien to my people,” says Chief Stephen Adkins, Tribal Chief of the Chickahominy Indians.

They say their ancestors had been having Thanksgivings for centuries before the settlers arrived.
Sometimes I think we non-natives tend to forget who really discovered America!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-26-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #40
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
Still recovering...er, enjoying some leftovers. The turkey only took 5 hours to cook (165 internal temp, no stuffing), but it did take about 2 hours to cool down enough before I could start carving it up.

We were shooting for 2pm, but didn't actually eat until 3. I really need a new kitchen with a double oven.

I pretty much prepped and cooked everything on the menu, plus clean up afterwards. I got a little help with heating up the rolls, mashing the potatoes and making the macaroni and cheese.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #41
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Still recovering...er, enjoying some leftovers. The turkey only took 5 hours to cook (165 internal temp, no stuffing), but it did take about 2 hours to cool down enough before I could start carving it up.

We were shooting for 2pm, but didn't actually eat until 3. I really need a new kitchen with a double oven.

I pretty much prepped and cooked everything on the menu, plus clean up afterwards. I got a little help with heating up the rolls, mashing the potatoes and making the macaroni and cheese.
I just made enchiladas out of almost the last of the turkey meat. What on earth I'll do with the rest, at this moment I couldn't tell you. Both I and the cats have had about all the turkey we can stand without starting to gobble.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:53 PM   #42
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
A Thanksgiving song from der Bingle.

Excellent, you can never have enough Bing Karma to you
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #43
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Excellent, you can never have enough Bing Karma to you
Moejoe,

Thanks for the video. Now go home; Thanksgiving is over. Don't worry, I'll do the dishes.

I'll save a place for you next year!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #44
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Moejoe,

Thanks for the video. Now go home; Thanksgiving is over. Don't worry, I'll do the dishes.

Everyday is thanksgiving! Wait, I'm English, damnit!!! I'm going to start the UK branch of thanksgiving, where we just don't punch each other for a day
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #45
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Moejoe,

zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote