Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
gadgetfreak
gadgetfreak began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Question Edge of screen very faint in Landscape mode?

Hi...

When I put my PRS-600 in landscape mode to read PDFs, I find that the bottom (ie. right side, if you're looking at the device in portrait mode) half-inch of the screen is very faint. Although I can still read the text, I find it very distracting. I originally thought there was something physically wrong with the display, but when I put the unit in portrait mode, or zoom in (in either mode), that portion of the display looks normal, implying that it's something in the software doing that.

Has anybody else noticed this?? If not, I'll have to call up Sony to get my reader fixed...

Thanks!
gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
I believe it's supposed to be a feature. A bit of text is repeated to maintain continuity when you move to the second half of the page; the overlapping portion is shown more faintly than normal.
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Unfortunately I think that is by design. Apparently it is to help us remember which line we were reading when we paged down or paged up. I wish they had not done that, but maybe they will change it via firmware if enough people complain.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
gadgetfreak
gadgetfreak began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
OK -- I think that was my official stupid question of the month. After putting up with it and reading a few more pages, I realised that it is the overlapping bit that's fainter, and must indeed must be by design. It's not as annoying once you know that it's just the overlapping bit and that it'll be more legible on the next page...

Thanks for the responses!
gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Yup, I thought it was a defect at first on my PRS-505. I actually like it though. I tried it out and it lets you read faster because you spend a lot less time to find your reading position when you scroll to the lower part of the page.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 05:51 AM   #6
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
Hi...

When I put my PRS-600 in landscape mode to read PDFs, I find that the bottom (ie. right side, if you're looking at the device in portrait mode) half-inch of the screen is very faint. Although I can still read the text, I find it very distracting. I originally thought there was something physically wrong with the display, but when I put the unit in portrait mode, or zoom in (in either mode), that portion of the display looks normal, implying that it's something in the software doing that.

Has anybody else noticed this?? If not, I'll have to call up Sony to get my reader fixed...

Thanks!
Thanks! I thought that was a bug but reading the replies I learned that it is a feature!...

Regards
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:56 AM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Unfortunately I think that is by design. Apparently it is to help us remember which line we were reading when we paged down or paged up. I wish they had not done that, but maybe they will change it via firmware if enough people complain.
It's not Sony specific, you find it (unfortunately) on other readers as well.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote