Notices

Old 07-19-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
Bowhuntxx78
Readoholic
Bowhuntxx78 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS - 505, Kindle DX
Book series like Twilight?

Evening,

I there a series something like Twilight. My two daughters have ripped thru the series in record time so i thought i would ask if someone could recommend a series along the same story line i can get for them?
Bowhuntxx78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead.

Young adults fiction, supposed to be good. Haven't read them but my younger sister has and she rather enjoyed them

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
City of Bones series seems to be trying to make a play to be the next big teen urban fantasy fiction. Haven't read it myself.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I really like the vampire genre and loved the Twilight series (ok, not so much the last book). A couple other similar series that your daughters might enjoy are --

The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. I really liked this series also. It has vampires, romance, and lot's of action.

The Morganville Vampire series by Rachel Caine is also pretty good. Once again romance, vampires, lots of action.

I didn't care for House of Night by P.C. Cast (I read the first 3 books) or the Southern Vampire series by Charlaine Harris (I only read one).

Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz and The Vampire Diaries by L. J. Smith look like they might be good, but the series isn't available as ebooks so I haven't read them.

These books are all YA books and contain some mild sexual content (the House of Night a little more so). For a more adult type book the Anne Rice vampire and witch books are by far my favorites.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
If you are looking for reading for young adults and not yourself you should not bother with Charlaine Harris' books as they contain plenty of sex and violence. A weak yet somewhat enjoyable copy of Anne Rice works (which can be very dark).

I see you have a Sony, does the Sony site have a young adult genre? If not you can go to Amazon and look at the ebooks under young adults. Many have reader comments. Amazon also has a segment on series.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
For teen girls, I can recommend
  • The "Uglies" series by Scott Westerfeld. (Uglies, Pretties, Specials, and Extras)
  • The Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libba Bray (A Great and Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angels, and The Sweet Far Thing)
  • A Modern Tale of Faerie by Holly Black (Valiant, Tithe, and Ironside)
  • Safe-Keepers by Sharon Shinn (The Safe-Keeper's Secret, The Truth-Teller's Tale, and Dream-Maker's Magic

I would not recommend the Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire series for teens -- much too much sex for my taste.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I would not recommend the Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire series for teens -- much too much sex for my taste.
I'd agree with that as well. (I meant to mention it in my first post and forgot.)
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I really enjoyed the first book in Melissa Marr's YA fairie series...Wicked Lovely. There are three books (and yes, the other two are on my extensive digital "to be read" pile!)
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:16 AM   #9
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
So, I only struggled through the first 1/3 of Twilight myself although my wife and daughter enjoyed it. Much more to my taste was the Mercedes Thompson series by Patricia Briggs.

Twilight might have ended, better, but to my taste the female lead was much too passive. Briggs made an interesting, but strong female lead. I find it especially interesting the way that Mercedes manages to get her way, even in settings where she is not physically the strongest character.

Here it is:
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b3...a-Briggs/?si=0
http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/pat...00000000033401
http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Called-Me...8156910&sr=8-1
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
Bowhuntxx78
Readoholic
Bowhuntxx78 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS - 505, Kindle DX
Thanks everybody much appreciated
Bowhuntxx78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
If you are looking for reading for young adults and not yourself you should not bother with Charlaine Harris' books as they contain plenty of sex and violence.
Sorry? If we were talking about childrens' books then obviously I'd agree with you, but what's wrong with such things for a young adult audience?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #12
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry? If we were talking about childrens' books then obviously I'd agree with you, but what's wrong with such things for a young adult audience?
I think maybe it's an issue of age & maturity. I would not have been comfortable giving the Sookie Stackhouse books to my daughter any younger than 16-17, and she was a very mature and sensible young adult. Other books by Charlaine Harris do not have the same type of situations and would be fine -- though they might not be interesting to a teen.

What made Twilight so appealing for teen girls was the heavy focus on romance and not on the physical relationship. So my recommendations tended to run to books with a similar theme of the supernatural. Not all of the books that I recommended were romantic.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #13
Asphodel
Asphodel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith have seen a resurgence in popularity thanks to Twilight, which I find amusing since I read them in middle school many years ago. I would recommend the original trilogy, "The Awakening", "The Struggle", and "The Fury". The first sequel, "Dark Reunion" was also good. I didn't think the most recent volume "The Return: Nightfall" was as good as the original books, but I'm not the target audience anymore so take that with a grain of salt.

If it's not vampires in particular that she's looking for, but just supernatural YA books with a bit of romance in them, another L.J. Smith trilogy called "The Secret Circle" may also appeal.

And finally, I would be remiss if I did not recommend "The Demon's Lexicon" by Sarah Rees Brennan. It does not have much in the way of romance but it's a very well-written supernatural story by a young woman who got her start writing fanfiction and became a published author.
Asphodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:39 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I think maybe it's an issue of age & maturity. I would not have been comfortable giving the Sookie Stackhouse books to my daughter any younger than 16-17, and she was a very mature and sensible young adult. Other books by Charlaine Harris do not have the same type of situations and would be fine -- though they might not be interesting to a teen.
I think it's a issue with terminology - I have a real "problem" with using this term "young adult" to refer to young teenagers; in my book (if you'll excuse the pun) they are not "adults", young or otherwise . I personally refer to book aimed at that age group as "juvenile" books. Of course, I realise that my personal preferences aren't going to change the way that the book industry categorises its products .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:26 AM   #15
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I recommend Wings by Aprilynne Pike. The Sony version is $11.89 which is $.34 cents more than the hardcover on Amazon. But I guess it just depends how you prefer to read it and how soon you want it. :-)

I've only read half of it so far but I found it very similar to Twilight. The main character finds out she's a fairy instead of finding out her friend is a vampire, but it's still a fantasy romance written for kids and young adults. Even Stephenie Meyer endorsed the book by saying, "Aprilynne Pike's WINGS is a remarkable debut; the ingenuity of the mythology is matched only by the startling loveliness with which the story unfolds."

The book briefly made it onto the NYT Bestsellers list when it came out in May. I guess the down side is that there's only one book so far. Your kids would have to wait for the other books in the series as they come out.

Last edited by SpiderMatt; 07-24-2009 at 04:30 AM.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote