Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
NetSlut
Connoisseur
NetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader
eBook & Audiobook Industry

Hi guys and gals,

I've been quiet for a while as work has taken me to some interesting places.

In particular, my Harvey program has been the cause of a company seeking me out and hiring me.

I'm now with gospoken.com (Andy McNab's company) as their Head of Development; they are the only people I know of who sell ebooks and audiobooks for mobile phones, that can be downloaded in sections.

The reason for my post though, is to ask you all what kind of changes and improvements you'd like to see to this kind of service. I have several ideas and I'm certain you all will have plenty more. We want to become more useful to you all, and I think this is a good way to start.

One idea I have is that of offering an 'unsigned' author section, where we offer ebooks for sale at a cheap price or even free, like the self-published stuff on this site.

I also thought that offering packs of reference books that are approved by Universities or Colleges as being suitable for a specific course might be useful.

Please do comment or suggest a service you'd like to see...

Ian
NetSlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
subtitles
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hey, exciting stuff ! can you tell us a bit more about the service ? is it like serialised novels, or what ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
NetSlut
Connoisseur
NetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader
The service does two things really.

First, we sell ebooks wrapped up in a JAR file that includes the reader application.

Second, we sell audiobooks split up into sections, with one section being one CD worth. The audio is compressed as either MP3 (giving a file size of around 10-14MB per CD) or as AAC or eAAC+ (file sizes drop to around 4-7MB per CD). Other services only sell the whole audio as a very large file, so our service is great to get sections as and when you want them. We also stream the audio if you want, so you can start listening immediately.

Ian
NetSlut is offline   Reply With Quote